300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read any good books lately?

I know that some of you read more than these forums here, addicting as they are. Has anyone read a book worth mentioning?
    I finished "How the Irish Saved Civilization" and it was wonderful, the author, Thomas Cahill has a way of weaving the boring history that you don't remember from school into a personal history that has depth and meaning and relevance.
    It took me a couple trys to really get into the book though as for the last couple years I haven't had the chance to "sit down" with a good book, but it was worth my time.

Anyone else read this book?? A different book??
    stay safe and always remember to look up!!

"You've been talking to yourself in the mirror again haven't you ?

chat room

No haven't read that one.

Black Mass---good book

it's about the F.B.I and a alliance they formed with the Irish mafia of southie
    lifetime also did a show about this...un ing bealiveable

Comment

The Super Cops- L.H. Whittemore (cop recommended to me)
      The Art of War- Sun Tzu (condensed version)
      True Blue- Sgt. Randy Sutton
      The Lost Son- Bernard Kerik
      Without a Badge- Jerry Speziale

Comment

In the company of Heroes.

This is the book written about Michael Durant who was the helicopter pilot who was shot down in Mogodishu. This is the conflict/incident that inspired the film "Black Hawk Down."

I read this book in one sitting, it was awesome.
        There's no substitute for strength,
        and no excuse for a lack of it!!

Comment

I just read the cat and the hat to my son tonight, does that count?

Comment

My wife just finished the Janet Evanovich series...
            She could not put them down once she started...
            Retired 02/01/13

Comment

How about an article. "Sheep, Sheepdog, and Wolves" by LTC Grossman. Must read article if you are interested in law enforcement.

If you want a copy e.mail me at [email protected]
              www.****************************
              Good Luck and Test Well!
              Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

L.B.P.D. Academy #75
              6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

Comment

"Lamb: the Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal," by Christopher Moore. This is a great book, very funny, very thought provoking, and not blasphemous at all.
                All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsions, habit, reason, passion and desire.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyCJ
                  The Gift of Fear by Gavin DeBecker
                  The Success Principles by Jack Canfield (currently reading)

The Gift of Fear is a great book! I read that in college when my prof (who also loves to read) mentioned during a lecture. I am the type of person who takes responsibility for my own safety, so that book appealed to me alot. I recomend it to women I know....

chat room

Comment

Originally posted by azchopshopcop
                    In the company of Heroes.

This is the book written about Michael Durant who was the helicopter pilot who was shot down in Mogodishu. This is the conflict/incident that inspired the film "Black Hawk Down."

I read this book in one sitting, it was awesome.

I don't usually watch war movies ( I love action movies though) but I watched Black Hawk Down serveral times in a row......bawling by the end of the first watching too I am not ashamed to say. I will have to look for "In the Company of Heroes".

chat room

Comment

I second "True Blue". Also, "Blackhawk Down" by Mark Bowden is a good one.

Isla, I think I remember reading on the forum that you are Christian? If so, you'll probably enjoy "The Screwtape Letters" by CS Lewis.
                      Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

The only thing I have read by Lewis is the Chronicles of Narnia and The Great Divorce...but I HAVE been meaning to read The Screwtape Letters. What are some hightlights from the book ?

chat room

Comment

None that I can really think of. It is not a stellar book, just a witty satire about demons and such.
                          Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Originally posted by chiefhuntr
                            I just read the cat and the hat to my son tonight, does that count?
                            So, what did you get out of it?? What impacted you the most?? What moral lessons were taught/learned? lol

chat room

Comment

interesting! I know that he and Mister Rogers had a "kick-butt" side to them, but I did not know what Dr.Suess did for the military, very interesting.

chat room

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6328 users online. 373 members and 5955 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X