Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travel outside the USA and carrying creds?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel outside the USA and carrying creds?

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'll be traveling w/ the wife and family south of the border for vacation. Do you suggest carrying just the ID portion, carrying badge/ID or screw it your on vacation leave it all at home?

Also, I know not to carry a firearm, but how about a folding knife?

Thoughts?

Thanks.
    ----

A gun, knife, even one round of ammo, and especially US LEO credentials will get you tossed in a dirty Mexican jail for an undetermined amount of time.

I'm being very serious. Do not do it.

Comment

Carry badge & id but they carry not weight in Mexico. Why would you want to vacation in that hell hole when the only nice places are resorts and the resort workers barely make a living and live in slums ????

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
        Carry badge & id but they carry not weight in Mexico. Why would you want to vacation in that hell hole when the only nice places are resorts and the resort workers barely make a living and live in slums ????
        Bodie: We'll be staying at a resort located in Cancun and it was a gift from the folks.. Can't really argue w/ a free trip...
        ----

Comment

I'd have to ask the question as to why you would vacation in a country that refuses to extradite cop killers.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
            I'd have to ask the question as to why you would vacation in a country that refuses to extradite cop killers.
            Mexico is sunny and warm. You better be looking closely if you want to only buy only morally and ethically products and services.

TGY
            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Don't make us go into the number of places in the USA that are sunny and warm, that WILL extradite cop killers, and won't hassle you to give up your self defense either.

If your dead set on going, I'd lose the badge at home and make sure you keep the US Embassy on speed dial. My passport said "public safety" before it expired and I was going to claim to be an Ambulance driver if need be.

Remember when La Policia Federale says "excesso Veledocedat", you are speeding, there is no court and you will pay him what he wants to take. For a few dinero they will leave your car relatively alone when they spray you down for the coffee bug and other pests at the border.

And don't touch the Poota's.

I am sure the area has changed since I drove through Central America in 1980, but I am not sure that it has improved at all. I'd do Costa Rica again, but I would hate to get there through the connecting countries.
              Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
              --------------------------------------------------
              Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
              --------------------------------------------------
              Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

Originally posted by leng
                Hey Guys and Gals,

I'll be traveling w/ the wife and family south of the border for vacation. Do you suggest carrying just the ID portion, carrying badge/ID or screw it your on vacation leave it all at home?

Also, I know not to carry a firearm, but how about a folding knife?

Thoughts?

Thanks.
                Having lived in Southern California for many years, I have been in and out of Mexico numerous times without any problems. There are some people who can't go anywhere without problems. If you feel comfortable going to Cancun, do so and enjoy your vacation. I have driven to Ensenada several times without a problem, and have carried my badge and ID card.
                Retired

Comment

First off, DO NOT bring a gun or any ammo into Mexico. I used to carry a small knife when I went to Juarez but if you are flying in you wont get it on the plane anyway. If you check it within your baggage it will most likely be found by Mexican customs and confiscated. Not the way you want to start your vacation. If you feel that strongly about having a knife, every other street vendor sells them.

Cancun exists pretty much because of tourism. If you stay around the touristy areas you should not have a problem. I don't see a problem with badge and creds but why would you need them? Understand that even in the tourist areas the Federales and Judiciales are more likely than not going to be corrupt. The mordida is a way of life and they see nothing wrong with it. Don't expect much in the way of professional courtesy if you do interact with la policia .

Thousands of people go to Cancun every year and don't have a problem. Use good common sense and have a good time. Do a couple of tequila poppers for me.
                  The only thing we have to fear is change itself.

Comment

Don't take your creds with you. BAD idea. Just take the things you need. ID credit cards etc. No LEO stuff at all. If anyone asks your a janitor at the local high school. You know how they love BP down there.

Comment

Tell the FOLKS thanks but no thanks and go to a country that doesn't habor cop killers and doesn't send half their felons to California and beyond.
                      Crimes against AMERICANS in Cancun are numerous and the police turn they other way or are actually involved in the thefts and car thefts and you have to pay the cops cash to get car back etc.

Comment

Originally posted by leng
                        Bodie: We'll be staying at a resort located in Cancun and it was a gift from the folks.. Can't really argue w/ a free trip...
                        Why would you spend a dime in a country that refuses to extradite the killers of American citizens as well as police officers free or not? http://www.deputydavidmarch.com/

I would decline any trip free or not to Mexico. I would also check the State Department website. There have been some travel warnings there recently.

Lastly, I would never carry my police ID out of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Switek
                          ...Lastly, I would never carry my police ID out of the country.
                          Its your decision Stan, but from my own experience it would be a bad move if you did not carry your Police ID to countries such as Australia, New Zealand, Britain, or Ireland, for it can open a lot of doors within the Police Brotherhood of those countries.

I was in a Pub in the little town of Doolin in County Clare, Ireland. As is the usual with Irish Pubs, there was a bit of a sing song, the craic was good and the Guinness was flowing. Every wall in the main bar of this Pub was literally covered with Police Patches from around the world and they were placed there by the visiting police officers from those countries.

There is accommodation available in London and Edinburgh for Police Officers but only on production of your Police ID and there is also assistance provided throughout Ireland, the UK and Europe if you are a member of the International Police Association.

I also know of overseas police officers who have visited Australia and they were in awe at the hospitally shown to them when they made personal contact with members of the various State and Federal Police Forces. They would of course needed to have produced their Police ID.

Cheers.

Comment

This last April, 38 members of my department took a bus to Rosarita Beach in Mexico for a get together, and had a great time. Most if not all of them carried their credentials and did not have a problem. The Mexican Police knew who they were and didn't bother them. Several people who worked on the department have vacation homes in Rosarita Beach, and have never had a problem. Perhaps trouble follows those who create trouble?
                            Retired

Comment

Originally posted by x5150x
                              A gun, knife, even one round of ammo, and especially US LEO credentials will get you tossed in a dirty Mexican jail for an undetermined amount of time.

I'm being very serious. Do not do it.

agreed. do not do it
                              ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
                              -- John Wayne

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3463 users online. 209 members and 3254 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X