300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharks

Is there anyone from Florida on tonight? I am very coureous about the last attack being from Tn.

I'm not from Fla but I know Fla leads the world in reported shark attacks. In light of that why anyone would let their kids swim 100 yards from shore in shark infested waters is beyond me. Some people are just beyound ignorant.

Comment

I don't understand why Fla. has so may shark attacks. I grew up at the NJ shore and anytime a shark was spotted even remotely close to shore, everyone was called out of the ocean. Seems like they're doing things right since they just had their first shark attack in 30 years.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
      and I'm not sure about the former.
      -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by icecoldblueyes
        I don't understand why Fla. has so may shark attacks. I grew up at the NJ shore and anytime a shark was spotted even remotely close to shore, everyone was called out of the ocean. Seems like they're doing things right since they just had their first shark attack in 30 years.
        Florida has a huge coastline since it is a peninsula (More area for sharks). With residents and loads of tourists we have more people at the beaches year around. The warmer water attracts a large variety of sharks. When sharks are spotted people are called out of the water immediately, but the sharks are not always noticed immediately. It's amazing how many tourists don't get out of the water when they're told to. They're the same ones that stand on the beach during lightning storms. Many tourists seem to leave their common sense behind when they come to Florida.
        Courage is not defined by those who fought and fell...but by those who fought, fell and rose again!

Comment

Originally posted by icecoldblueyes
          I think it's the warmer water in the Gulf as opposed to the Atlantic side. Seems like most of the shark attacks there the last few years have been down around Panama City, Destin, Fort Walton, etc. ie. the "Redneck Riviera." I don't recall hearing of any around Daytona, Ft. lauderdale or Miami.

Comment

Thanks Groundhog & pops. I hadn't thought about that.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
            and I'm not sure about the former.
            -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
              I think it's the warmer water in the Gulf as opposed to the Atlantic side. Seems like most of the shark attacks there the last few years have been down around Panama City, Destin, Fort Walton, etc. ie. the "Redneck Riviera." I don't recall hearing of any around Daytona, Ft. lauderdale or Miami.
              I can't remember exactly what year it was, but a few years ago we had 17 shark attacks in Volusia county alone. Daytona and New Smyrna beach are in Volusia county. Not exactly something you put in a tourist brochure.
              Courage is not defined by those who fought and fell...but by those who fought, fell and rose again!

Comment

Originally posted by Pops
                I can't remember exactly what year it was, but a few years ago we had 17 shark attacks in Volusia county alone. Daytona and New Smyrna beach are in Volusia county. Not exactly something you put in a tourist brochure.
                No, I guess the Chamber of Commerce would frown on that....

Comment

Won't catch me in any bodies of waters with any kinds of sharks.

That shark av that Stan had would've scared me enough to get out of the water!!

I have a fear of sharks (long story).

BBB
                  "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
                  Not Yet Visited: 16
                  Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

I never had any encounters with sharks in Florida but had a few in Texas. We have sharks up here but they are not very big and since people spend little time in the water we don't have any problems.
                    The case with FL is that the summer months are peak season for them. They have been known to come in three feet of water to feed in the afternoon times.
                    Small percautions will help in keeping you say like: don't wear shiny flashy objects (watches, rings, chains), bright colors (flourescents) and don't splash around (looks like a wounded animal). Another thing is don't go far from shore. If I can't touch the bottom then I am too far (unless I'm surfing).

TGY
                    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

At times 100 yards from shore really isn't that big a deal.The water still can be very shallow(feet touching the ground) so you don't think much of it. I know in some parts of Carolina the waves break out at least 100-200 yards off shore and the water is only 4-5 feet deep. With that being said,I'm not going in the water above my damn knees anymore.
                      Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Mmmm, shark.

Tasty fish if I do say so myself.

Fortunately they don't think we're all that tasty, most of the times they take a chomp and spit us out. I'd still prefer not to be nibbled on.

Buddy of mine who has lived & surfed Volusia county the past 4 years has told me about the sharks and tells me he when he gets the "sharkies" (a gut feelnig that sharks are nearby) he gets the hell outta the water and calls it a day.

PS - Are they called "tourons" (tourist morons) in Florida?

Comment

Originally posted by Stonie
                          Mmmm, shark.

PS - Are they called "tourons" (tourist morons) in Florida?
                          no, but they should be!!!

As for the sharks...

Shark attacks are still so incredibly rare. You have a much better chance of being hit by lightning... or winning the lottery... or getting in a car accident...

But we have such a fear of sharks that it becomes news when someone even sees one. You may have seen the news reports earlier this year about "hundreds of sharks massing off the coast of Florida" accompanied by some "shacking footage" from the air and you can see all the sharks in the water. Thing is, they do that EVERY year... it is called migration...

Another reason people don't get called out of the water is a lot of beaches don't have lifeguards at all. And some of these "attacks" are by pretty small sharks, only a few feet long.

Still, common sense can prevent a lot...

Comment

Hell, after watching Jaws, I check the tub before I shower.
                            Kelly

We are the thin blue line
                            between you
                            and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water

Teen's Leg Amputated After Florida Shark Attack
                              Second Attack Comes Three Days After Girl Killed
                              By BILL KACZOR, AP

CAPE SAN BLAS, Fla. (June 28) -- A 16-year-old boy who lost a leg following the second shark attack in three days along the Florida Panhandle was in critical condition Tuesday and facing more surgery.

Craig Adam Hutto, of Lebanon, Tenn., was fishing in waist-deep water about 60 feet from shore with his brother and a friend Monday when the shark grabbed his right thigh, nearly severing the leg, said Capt. Bobby Plair of the Gulf County Sheriff's Office.

Physicians later amputated the leg. Dr. Reed Finne, a cardiovascular surgeon at Bay Medical Center in Panama City, said Tuesday the limb had suffered irreparable damage to blood vessels and nerves between the hip and knee, as well as to most of the surrounding muscle.

On Saturday, 14-year-old Jamie Marie Daigle died from her injuries after her leg was mutilated by a bull shark about 80 miles away near Destin.

It was too soon to tell if Hutto suffered any brain damage from blood loss, Finne said. In 2001, a 9-year-old Mississippi boy, Jesse Arbogast, suffered severe brain damage from blood loss when a shark tore off his arm as he swam near Pensacola.

''We're hopeful. He's young, he's healthy. He should be OK, but he's still sick,'' Finne said of Hutto.

He said the boy would undergo additional surgery Tuesday to clean what remains of his leg and will be treated for possible tendon damage to his hands suffered when he fought the shark.

A doctor, some nurses and a paramedic who happened to be nearby on the beach began treatment as soon as the teen was ashore, and that swift action probably saved his life, said Shane McGuffin, Gulf County's medical services director.

The attack on Hutto was witnessed by Karen Eaker, 42, of Horn Lake, Miss.

''Within five seconds it was obvious there was something wrong,'' Eaker said. ''We had heard the word 'shark' and then we saw the red water and the tug-of-war going on between the brother and the shark.''

From the beach, Hutto was taken to Panama City's Bay Medical Center, where the leg was amputated. His family members, including the brother who was with him in the surf, declined to comment at the hospital.

Gulf County's Board of County Commissioners closed the county's beaches until at least midday Tuesday. Helicopter crews were to fly over the water to check for sharks before any order reopening the beaches.

The number of shark attacks rises in the summer because the animals come closer to shore to search for food, said John Tyminski, a senior biologist with the Center for Shark Research at Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota.

There has been no indication that Monday's attack caused any visitors to leave, said Paula Ramsey Pickett, executive director of the Gulf County Tourism Development Council.

''We think this is definitely an isolated incident, even though the timing was poor considering'' the fatal attack on Daigle, she said. The council was passing out a pamphlet to visitors giving tips on avoiding shark attacks.

Daigle, of Gonzales, La., had been had been swimming with a friend about 100 yards from shore in neighboring Walton County when a shark bit her in the leg. Paramedics and an air ambulance crew were unable to revive her. Destin-area beaches reopened Sunday.

Florida averaged more than 30 attacks a year from 2000 to 2003, but had only 12 last year, said George Burgess, curator of the International Shark Attack File at the University of Florida in Gainesville. He attributed the drop to the four hurricanes that hit Florida last year, keeping residents and visitors away from beaches.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5875 users online. 318 members and 5557 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X