X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KapsFB
    replied
    Originally posted by HCSO511
    the new law president bush passed says we can carry anywhere anytime.
    Like the Hertz (or was that Avis?) commercials say...."not exactly"

From H.R. 218 http://www.leaa.org/218/218text.html

"(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that--

`(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or

`(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park."

As you can see, there are some limitations. Check your State Code.
    Last edited by KapsFB; 07-01-2005, 07:36 AM. Reason: to add referenced web site

Leave a comment:

• HCSO511
    replied
    the new law president bush passed says we can carry anywhere anytime. if i went into a hospital and they wanted my gun, i would probably just lock it up in my vehicle or their box. i dont care that much about it. if my wife or someone is there i can go without my gun, i dont want to sit there and argue with a bunch of security gaurds over what they think they know about the law. i like having my fobus with my g-21 on my side as often as possible like any other cop but i dont really want to listen to the hassle these guards can give over something that doesnt matter anyway. maybe if some nut runs loose in the hospital he will see me as a citizen and just kill the guards. kidding. i argue enough when im at work, when im off the last thing i want is some wanna be trying to tell me the law. i got enough people trying to tell me the law as it is.

Leave a comment:

• retired
    replied
    Originally posted by Bodie
    Hospital Security here tried that some years back. They are not armed etc.
    There is no law here or in your state that says you can't carry on hospital property and since you are 24/7 leo they could be charged in intefering with your duties (Obstructing) .

Who is accepting responsibilty for that gun while out of your control in a hospital lock box that you don't even know to be an approved firearms lock box etc ? Bet not the hospital ......................
    Bodie,

Since he was off-duty and not performing any LE function, it is doubtful at best that the hospital staff could or would be arrested for interfering or obstructing. If the officer did make an arrest, he should at the least look for an IA investigation as well as a civil lawsuit.

Leave a comment:

• KapsFB
    replied
    Originally posted by hebron24
    Does anyone know what the law is reguarding who can require an off duty officer to secure his/her weapon while on certian private or public property in Indiana? For instance, I took my wife to the emergency room, advised security that I was an armed off duty officer and they required my to lock my weapon in a lock box. They said the only people allowed to carry there were on duty officers and their security staff. Can anyone direct me to specific laws concerning this? Thanks.
    There are provisions in most state (and even in the recent federal carry law I believe) codes that allow certain private and/or public properties to prohibit firearms to be brought in. Particularly by off-duty LEO's. Including my home if I say so. My guess is that Indy has them as well.

There are numerous areas were even on-duty LEO's are prohibited from packing; Jails, prisons, courtrooms, mental wards, federal property, etc. Try entering the state capital in Indianapolis with one; in uniform; on duty. Unless it's an exteme emergency, they say stow it and you don't, you'll be writing a "Dear Chief/Sheriff" letter I assure you.

Leave a comment:

• towncop
    replied
    The hospital right here in my city tried to get the officers ON DUTY to secure their weapons in a lock box when bringing in a prisoner or when they called us out there for a disturbance. Our chief was like there is no way in hell. If that's the case, then DO NOT CALL US. They scratched that policy but kept in place the policy that says NO ONE (off-duty police officer's included in the wording) will be allowed entry into the hospital with a firearm.

Leave a comment:

• Bodie
    replied
    You Fell For It

Hospital Security here tried that some years back. They are not armed etc.
    There is no law here or in your state that says you can't carry on hospital property and since you are 24/7 leo they could be charged in intefering with your duties (Obstructing) .

Who is accepting responsibilty for that gun while out of your control in a hospital lock box that you don't even know to be an approved firearms lock box etc ? Bet not the hospital ......................

Leave a comment:

• apddawg
    replied
    I agree with some of the above posts, concealed carry means concealed carry. Also, by all means...keep your identity to yourself unless you are forced to ID yourself. The bad guys will find out you're a cop if something should go down, but I would never publicize it to anyone except a fellow cop.

Leave a comment:

• chiefhuntr
    replied
    I know at V.A. hospitals, it is against Federal law for you to ccw unless you are there for official Police business.

Leave a comment:

• Creeker
    replied
    Hell, Before I retired, I was never off-duty.

I had a policy manual that said so, and didn't permit me to take it off unless I was at Court or the Jail. It came in handy whenever I went on vacation out of state... "Yep, I'm on duty".

They didn't have to tell us in writing how we were mandated to store our firearm at home, back then, either...

Leave a comment:

• Delta784
    replied
    As mentioned, it is totally legal and within their rights for a private entity (hospital, school) to bar off-duty police officers from carrying firearms on their property.

However, as also mentioned, I'm not going to reveal my status as either a police officer, or especially an armed off-duty police officer, to anyone except another police officer.

Leave a comment:

• hebron24
    replied
    Thanks for the comments.

It's a good point about concealed carry being just that. I consistantly carry a 3-slot right side holster. Now that summer is here, I've been thinking about thunder ware or somethin, but until then, there's a POSSIBILITY that my firearm may be noticed. Anyplace other than a hospital, NO ONE knows I'm a cop, I just don't want a security officer to over react because he doesn't know who I am. Thanks again for the comments.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by hebron24
    Does anyone know what the law is reguarding who can require an off duty officer to secure his/her weapon while on certian private or public property in Indiana? For instance, I took my wife to the emergency room, advised security that I was an armed off duty officer and they required my to lock my weapon in a lock box. They said the only people allowed to carry there were on duty officers and their security staff. Can anyone direct me to specific laws concerning this? Thanks.
    There is no such law in Indiana, That is simply a hospital or company policy. They can not force your to disarm. As with any private property, they could ask you to leave, if you refuse to comply with their policy.

Leave a comment:

• beer cop
    replied
    I agree with the earlier post regarding the fact that a concealed weapon means just that - it's a concealed weapon.

One reason hospitals require weapons to be secured is to minimize the likelihood that someone "unauthorized" were able to gain control of the weapon. Say for example the off-duty LEO passes out for whatever reason (sight of blood, gave blood, is injured and becomes unconscious, sees the hospital bill and/or finds out the new baby is not his). I'm sure insurance has a lot to do with it. Most places don't want anyone but someone in uniform to wear a weapon - concealed or not. Customers, patrons and patients usually overeact at the sight of an armed stranger and it just avoids having to do some 'splainin' when you're seen with a gun while in plainclothes.

I can appreciate that you were concerned that if someone were to see your weapon - if you think that you need to re-think your method of concealment.

As for a law allowing the practice of hospitals requiring you to lock up your gun, I have no idea....

Leave a comment:

• Stan Switek
    replied
    Ive never felt the need to pack at a theme park, except for Magic Mountain in Valencia Ca. I simply dont go there anymore. Disneyland & Knotts will not let you in if you are packing. Ive always felt safe at Disney & Knotts. At times they wand at entry. If you really feel the need to carry at places like Disney & Knotts, use some immagination. When Im working, I get my gun past security security & their wands nightly. It's easy.

Leave a comment:

• lsmalibu
    replied
    I don't know about the law in Indiana...scratch that, I don't know what the law in California is either, but a local themepark that I used to work for had armed guards and required any off-duty cops to secure their weapons in the security office. I don't know the rule was prompted by this, but a few years ago an off-duty Modesto (I think) PD officer on psych leave drew his BUG on the log ride. Don't remember the details, but it was a hairy situation with security and this officer staring each other down, weapons drawn, and about 50 little kids and their parents looking on in shock.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4889 users online. 277 members and 4612 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X