300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disarming Off Duty Officers...

Does anyone know what the law is reguarding who can require an off duty officer to secure his/her weapon while on certian private or public property in Indiana? For instance, I took my wife to the emergency room, advised security that I was an armed off duty officer and they required my to lock my weapon in a lock box. They said the only people allowed to carry there were on duty officers and their security staff. Can anyone direct me to specific laws concerning this? Thanks.
    Feel safe at night.....Sleep with a COP.

Originally posted by hebron24
    Does anyone know what the law is reguarding who can require an off duty officer to secure his/her weapon while on certian private or public property in Indiana? For instance, I took my wife to the emergency room, advised security that I was an armed off duty officer and they required my to lock my weapon in a lock box. They said the only people allowed to carry there were on duty officers and their security staff. Can anyone direct me to specific laws concerning this? Thanks.

WHHAAAAAAT!!! I'm thinkin there's something wrong with that. I would like to see a SECURITY GUARD try that with me here....hmmmm. I don't know brother. I will be monitoring this thread to see what happens.
    There's no substitute for strength,
    and no excuse for a lack of it!!

Comment

ARE YOU VESTED WITH FULL POLICE POWER , LICENSED AND BONDED FOR
      ANDY ACTION YOU TAKE, AND EXPECTED TO TAKE POLICE ACTION ?

ONLY PLACE YOU LOCK A WEAPON UP....JAIL'S AND PRISONS

WWW.SCHACKDADDY.COM
      " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
      " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Why did you bother telling them you were an off-duty officer that was armed? I know of no law that allows them to require you to lock up your weapon, but since it's private property, they don't have to let you on the premises with your weapon.
        Retired

Comment

In places like hospitals, I tell the security staff that I am there with my weapon and identify myself so that just in case someone should happen to notice my firearm, they know who I am. Especially since I believe the hospital in question had a shooting in the ER awhile back. I didn't challange their request because I was unsure whether or not they could require me to do so...hey I'm a rook.

P.S. Sorry about posting an LE topic in the off duty section.
          Last edited by hebron24; 06-27-2005, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Amazing..I was just in a world renown hospital here in Cleveland (we have a few) and they posted that they only wanted on duty/off duty law enforcement officers to carry concealed handguns within the hospital property. Good to see some common sense. I would not have a problem allowing lawful CCW permit holders to carry in my business or hospital. Not that I'll ever own a storefront shop or hospital
            Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

In places like hospitals, I tell the security staff that I am there with my weapon and identify myself so that just in case someone should happen to notice my firearm, they know who I am. Especially since I believe the hospital in question had a shooting in the ER awhile back. I didn't challange their request because I was unsure whether or not they could require me to do so...hey I'm a rook.

P.S. Sorry about posting an LE topic in the off duty section.
              I'm sorry bro, but no one knows Im a cop or Im packing unless the situation demands such & no one will be noticing my gun. Concealed carry means just that.

Comment

I don't know about the law in Indiana...scratch that, I don't know what the law in California is either, but a local themepark that I used to work for had armed guards and required any off-duty cops to secure their weapons in the security office. I don't know the rule was prompted by this, but a few years ago an off-duty Modesto (I think) PD officer on psych leave drew his BUG on the log ride. Don't remember the details, but it was a hairy situation with security and this officer staring each other down, weapons drawn, and about 50 little kids and their parents looking on in shock.
                *Not a cop*

Comment

Ive never felt the need to pack at a theme park, except for Magic Mountain in Valencia Ca. I simply dont go there anymore. Disneyland & Knotts will not let you in if you are packing. Ive always felt safe at Disney & Knotts. At times they wand at entry. If you really feel the need to carry at places like Disney & Knotts, use some immagination. When Im working, I get my gun past security security & their wands nightly. It's easy.

Comment

I agree with the earlier post regarding the fact that a concealed weapon means just that - it's a concealed weapon.

One reason hospitals require weapons to be secured is to minimize the likelihood that someone "unauthorized" were able to gain control of the weapon. Say for example the off-duty LEO passes out for whatever reason (sight of blood, gave blood, is injured and becomes unconscious, sees the hospital bill and/or finds out the new baby is not his). I'm sure insurance has a lot to do with it. Most places don't want anyone but someone in uniform to wear a weapon - concealed or not. Customers, patrons and patients usually overeact at the sight of an armed stranger and it just avoids having to do some 'splainin' when you're seen with a gun while in plainclothes.

I can appreciate that you were concerned that if someone were to see your weapon - if you think that you need to re-think your method of concealment.

As for a law allowing the practice of hospitals requiring you to lock up your gun, I have no idea....

Comment

There is no such law in Indiana, That is simply a hospital or company policy. They can not force your to disarm. As with any private property, they could ask you to leave, if you refuse to comply with their policy.

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

It's a good point about concealed carry being just that. I consistantly carry a 3-slot right side holster. Now that summer is here, I've been thinking about thunder ware or somethin, but until then, there's a POSSIBILITY that my firearm may be noticed. Anyplace other than a hospital, NO ONE knows I'm a cop, I just don't want a security officer to over react because he doesn't know who I am. Thanks again for the comments.

Comment

As mentioned, it is totally legal and within their rights for a private entity (hospital, school) to bar off-duty police officers from carrying firearms on their property.

However, as also mentioned, I'm not going to reveal my status as either a police officer, or especially an armed off-duty police officer, to anyone except another police officer.
                          Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Hell, Before I retired, I was never off-duty.

I had a policy manual that said so, and didn't permit me to take it off unless I was at Court or the Jail. It came in handy whenever I went on vacation out of state... "Yep, I'm on duty".

They didn't have to tell us in writing how we were mandated to store our firearm at home, back then, either...
                            Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

I know at V.A. hospitals, it is against Federal law for you to ccw unless you are there for official Police business.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6543 users online. 348 members and 6195 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X