300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Question

I am a military cop, and recently I was informed of a vet who may be wearing a military uniform illegally. In particular, he is wearing at a demostration/protest. Does any one remember being told that this is illegal? I seem to remember that. Also, it is a non military function, which I believe makes it illegal. I am going to research this in the UCMJ/MCM. Does anyone know of elsewhere that I can go? Also, I am going to bring this matter to my flight sergeant's attention, and ask him about this, but that I don't see him for a few days. Thanks for any help.

Hnmmmmmmm it is a crime sort of here in MN depending on what he/she is actually doing here is the statue:

609.475 Impersonating officer.

Whoever falsely impersonates a police or military officer
    or public official with intent to mislead another into believing
    that the impersonator is actually such officer or official is
    guilty of a misdemeanor.

So they would have to be more then wearing the unifrom..they would have to do "something" like give orders or what not.....as far as federal...boy might be hard to get...but I will check....
    Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by squad51
      Hnmmmmmmm it is a crime sort of here in MN depending on what he/she is actually doing here is the statue:

609.475 Impersonating officer.

Whoever falsely impersonates a police or military officer
      or public official with intent to mislead another into believing
      that the impersonator is actually such officer or official is
      guilty of a misdemeanor.

So they would have to be more then wearing the unifrom..they would have to do "something" like give orders or what not.....as far as federal...boy might be hard to get...but I will check....
      Thanks. I was told once that there is a division in the FBI that investigates/prosecutes people who wear a military uniform illegally. Have you heard of this?

Comment

CaliforniaPenal Code

CA PC section 532b. Any person who shall falsely represent himself as a veteran or ex-serviceman of any war in which the United States was engaged in connection with the soliciting of aid or the sale or attempted sale
        of any property shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

This is what we have to play with.
        If you won't stand behind our troops, PLEASE, feel free to stand in front of them.

If you won't get an *** whoopin' with me, you're gonna get one from me---stolen

www.sportbikes.net

Comment

Ok, I will do my best to give you my interpretation. Keep in mind I do not really have sources to quote, just my knowledge for now. First, if this guy is doing this offbase, there is nothing you can do but report it to another agency. Being a Former SP I know that as soon as you walk off that base, your authority as a law enforcement official is gone. It kinda sucks, part of the countless reasons for getting out, but that is for another day. Second, if he has removed ranks, and service tapes and unit patches, I.E. US Air Force tapes or air combat command patches on Bdus, it is ok to wear BDU's with just his old name tapes, a federal law covers this better, not sure where yet.

As I recall from article two of the UCMJ, the UCMJ applies to active, guard, and reserve anywhere and retirees while on an installation. It isnt real clear on vets, so UCMJ may not apply. The major offenses you mention, wearing uniform at a protest or rally, and wear of uniform at anything but a military function, are both UCMJ specific offenses.

Also from my memory flight sgts were not always that great. My prediction, you may be ignored. My Flight sgts always felt they had far better things to worry about than things we had no authority over. I would assume a similar response. If he were active in some form this would be a whole seperate story, and you could go to OSI. The fact that he is a veteran however may end up leaving you with your hands tied. Hate to be so negative, but I thought I would give worst case scenario. Still try flight sgt. Let us know how it turns out
          Last edited by Lawdog1228; 06-29-2005, 03:47 AM.
          "No you got the wrong number, this is 91....2"

Comment

Originally posted by Lawdog1228

Also from my memory flight sgts were not always that great. My prediction, you may be ignored. My Flight sgts always felt they had far better things to worry about than things we had no authority over. I would assume a similar response. If he were active in some form this would be a whole seperate story, and you could go to OSI. The fact that he is a veteran however may end up leaving you with your hands tied. Hate to be so negative, but I thought I would give worst case scenario. Still try flight sgt. Let us know how it turns out
            Yeah. I just found out how not great flight sergeants are Bad week at work. Didn't mention this even. I'm outta this base in about a month and a half for my transfer and I am considering requesting a new flight. Thats how bad this week was

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4965 users online. 323 members and 4642 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X