Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road Trip

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Road Trip

    Okay so I am planning a road trip across country...from Ohio to LA being my ending point...

    So I am wondering if any, places to stop and see along the way...

    I already have Vegas in mind

    Any suggestions or thoughts?
    THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

    Patience with ignorance

    Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

    I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

    When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

    Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

  • #2
    Yes, buy a moped, this way your not taking out a loan for gasoline... Not sure how far South of Cali you are going, but Arizona is nice, especially Phoenix.

    Comment


    • #3
      If you want to take a looooong detour, go through the Pacific Northwest. Lots of beautiful things to see, I could give you a great route to take.
      Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Creed
        Yes, buy a moped, this way your not taking out a loan for gasoline... Not sure how far South of Cali you are going, but Arizona is nice, especially Phoenix.

        Actually I am renting a car....Also, its not going to be anytime soon so I can save up some money and I am waiting to knock out my road fto so its hard to make plans only time to save and get ideas where to go as well....
        THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

        Patience with ignorance

        Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

        I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

        When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

        Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

        Comment


        • #5
          If you go in September, may I recommend the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma Festival. Good food, good fun, good souveniers. If not, Tallhequa (sp?), OK is a good stop. Of course, Vegas would be awesome. That's all I can think of off hand, but someone wore me out tonight. I might have better suggestions tomorrow.
          It's the ones you love that will kill you the quickest.

          Official O.COM Man of Mystery.

          Comment


          • #6
            Seriously, go to the travel channel.com and see what kinds of things they have visited. Gotta see the grand canyons{HEHE} maybe Yellowstone, go east alittle and see Pittsburghs 3 Rivers and maybe some Easy Eman
            I'll take you up to Mt. Washington.. Greatest view in the country, or at least Conde Naste said so. COme June 10th weekend, we got the Rib and music fest going on mmmmm RIBS. Go to Milwaukee and see the Harley Factory,
            come
            I got nothing for now

            Comment


            • #7
              well I am the type of person that wantsto get to point A to point B, but I do want to see some cool stuff in between as long as it doesn't take me to long to get to LA
              THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

              Patience with ignorance

              Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

              I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

              When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

              Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Photogrrlz
                well I am the type of person that wantsto get to point A to point B, but I do want to see some cool stuff in between as long as it doesn't take me to long to get to LA

                Hi Photo.

                Why would you want to go to Los Angeles? There are so many scenic places in this country...LA would be my last travel destination.

                In retrospect, there are alot of bars there (so I've heard) that cater to your taste in women!
                Job description as told by an old timer: "Drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Lucky Seven
                  Hi Photo.

                  Why would you want to go to Los Angeles? There are so many scenic places in this country...LA would be my last travel destination.

                  In retrospect, there are alot of bars there (so I've heard) that cater to your taste in women!

                  Well actually I was stationed in San Diego and I have friends that live in LA and San Deigo and I go to visit them...So free room and board for me...lol...

                  But in the long run after gaining more LE experience under my belt I want to work for LASD.... So eventually I plan to live out there...I have fun everytime I go...

                  And the women are HOT
                  THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

                  Patience with ignorance

                  Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

                  I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

                  When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

                  Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Photo how about visiting the Grand Canyon. That is the next place I want to visit. Didn't get to see it while I was there in March.


                    BBB
                    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson


                    *UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
                    Not Yet Visited: 16
                    Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well that would be a good idea....

                      I also forgot I have a friend to visit in Texas, So I guess I will swing by there....as well
                      THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

                      Patience with ignorance

                      Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

                      I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

                      When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

                      Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have your trip all planned for you. I love road trips. I believe it is the only way you really get a true appreciation for this country we have. It will likely take 3 weeks to do it right, but you don't mention how long you want to be gone. Trip planning is kind of a Hobby of mine, although I've never done it for anyone else before.

                        Get up to I-90 in Wisconsin and take it West about 600 miles or so to just past Kodaka South Dakota, turn south and travel through the Badlands for about 30 miles, then back on 90 travel on to Rapid City. Get off of the "I" and take hwy 16 south to Mt. Rushmore, (there is also a large mountain carving of Crazy Horse nearby, which has been in progress while open to the public since 1970(?) that is quite interesting) then back out on Hwy 385 which will lead you to Deadwood, SD, a saloon town steeped in western history, where Wild Bill Hickock was killed. His supposed "death" chair is on display in the saloon he was gunned down in. Travel 11 miles North on Hwy 14 and it will bring you to Sturgis, SD where you can see a Motorcycle or 2, then regain I-90. 50 miles West, just past Sundance Wyoming, take Hwy 14 for 29 miles to Devil's Tower, the Monument of the 70's Outer Space movie fame. At one point on Hwy 14 you will come across the same exact view that was shown in the movie.

                        Get back to I-90 West for another 175 miles and get off on Hwy 14 again just past Sheridan, Wy and travel 149 miles through the Bighorn Mountains/Nat'l Forest to Cody, Wy, unless you'd like to visit the Little Bighorn or Custer Battlefield National Monument, a very enlightening venue, which is another 70 miles up I-90 in Montana. From Custer Battlefield your option is to return via I-90 to Hwy 14 or to continue into Montana, returning to Cody via Hwy 310 and 14. While in Cody, visit The Buffalo Bill Museum and explore the basement area where last I was there, was a firearms museum.

                        Anytime I hear that someone wants to tour the USA, I feel I would be negligent in not suggesting Yellowstone National Park, a short drive west of Cody. Try to do it in early summer, where you can see a lot of wildlife, and be careful going around curves, because a buffalo is liable to be standing there. Don't pay a lot of attention to "Old Faithful", but spend the time waiting for the nearby "Grande Guyser", which erupts in a virtual symphony of steam. When it is finished, the gathered crowd can't help but applaud the Creators handiwork (even though they don't know who they are applauding on many occassions).

                        The Grande Teton mountain range to the South are some of the most beautiful mountains I have ever seen, although I admit I have not seen all of the different ranges in the USA. Jackson Hole is a beautiful town, and while you are there you may see any of many movie stars who have driven the property values of the area through the roof.

                        On the Southwest corner of Wyoming in Idaho is an area called "Flaming Gorge" that is a beautiful lake recreation area highlighted by the flaming red cliffs as you drive along the high terrain catching long looks at the Green River thousands of feet below where the average power boat resembles an ant.

                        Take Hwy 191 to 163 South for 600 miles and stop by the Grand Canyon ...they say you only get out of it what you put into it ... head South to Williams, Az, then hit I-40 West (the old Rt 66) then Rte 93 for around 200 miles to Vegas through the Boulder Dam/Lake Meade area.

                        Assuming you left from Dayton, OH, that your average gas cost is $2.10 gal, that your car gets 19 City 25 hwy mpg, and your average speed is 65 mph on the Interstates, traveling 8 hours a day, this would take you around 3500 miles, cost $301.00 and take about 8 days in driving time... one way to LA via Vegas.

                        As for what parts of this trip I have taken, I've never been to Ohio, Nevada or Californicate.

                        For a return trip thru Texas, I would recomend I-10 so that you could spend some time in Tombstone, AZ and Roswell, NM, but that would depend on the area of Texas you want to travel to and the time you have allowed.

                        Directions & stats courtesy of Microsoft Streets & Trips.
                        Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I would probably say go through Colorado. See some of the mountians, Colorado Springs, even the Air Force Academy, and maybe Denver. Try and see a baseball game in a hot tub!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Creeker
                            I have your trip all planned for you. I love road trips. I believe it is the only way you really get a true appreciation for this country we have. It will likely take 3 weeks to do it right, but you don't mention how long you want to be gone. Trip planning is kind of a Hobby of mine, although I've never done it for anyone else before.

                            Get up to I-90 in Wisconsin and take it West about 600 miles or so to just past Kodaka South Dakota, turn south and travel through the Badlands for about 30 miles, then back on 90 travel on to Rapid City. Get off of the "I" and take hwy 16 south to Mt. Rushmore, (there is also a large mountain carving of Crazy Horse nearby, which has been in progress while open to the public since 1970(?) that is quite interesting) then back out on Hwy 385 which will lead you to Deadwood, SD, a saloon town steeped in western history, where Wild Bill Hickock was killed. His supposed "death" chair is on display in the saloon he was gunned down in. Travel 11 miles North on Hwy 14 and it will bring you to Sturgis, SD where you can see a Motorcycle or 2, then regain I-90. 50 miles West, just past Sundance Wyoming, take Hwy 14 for 29 miles to Devil's Tower, the Monument of the 70's Outer Space movie fame. At one point on Hwy 14 you will come across the same exact view that was shown in the movie.

                            Get back to I-90 West for another 175 miles and get off on Hwy 14 again just past Sheridan, Wy and travel 149 miles through the Bighorn Mountains/Nat'l Forest to Cody, Wy, unless you'd like to visit the Little Bighorn or Custer Battlefield National Monument, a very enlightening venue, which is another 70 miles up I-90 in Montana. From Custer Battlefield your option is to return via I-90 to Hwy 14 or to continue into Montana, returning to Cody via Hwy 310 and 14. While in Cody, visit The Buffalo Bill Museum and explore the basement area where last I was there, was a firearms museum.

                            Anytime I hear that someone wants to tour the USA, I feel I would be negligent in not suggesting Yellowstone National Park, a short drive west of Cody. Try to do it in early summer, where you can see a lot of wildlife, and be careful going around curves, because a buffalo is liable to be standing there. Don't pay a lot of attention to "Old Faithful", but spend the time waiting for the nearby "Grande Guyser", which erupts in a virtual symphony of steam. When it is finished, the gathered crowd can't help but applaud the Creators handiwork (even though they don't know who they are applauding on many occassions).

                            The Grande Teton mountain range to the South are some of the most beautiful mountains I have ever seen, although I admit I have not seen all of the different ranges in the USA. Jackson Hole is a beautiful town, and while you are there you may see any of many movie stars who have driven the property values of the area through the roof.

                            On the Southwest corner of Wyoming in Idaho is an area called "Flaming Gorge" that is a beautiful lake recreation area highlighted by the flaming red cliffs as you drive along the high terrain catching long looks at the Green River thousands of feet below where the average power boat resembles an ant.

                            Take Hwy 191 to 163 South for 600 miles and stop by the Grand Canyon ...they say you only get out of it what you put into it ... head South to Williams, Az, then hit I-40 West (the old Rt 66) then Rte 93 for around 200 miles to Vegas through the Boulder Dam/Lake Meade area.

                            Assuming you left from Dayton, OH, that your average gas cost is $2.10 gal, that your car gets 19 City 25 hwy mpg, and your average speed is 65 mph on the Interstates, traveling 8 hours a day, this would take you around 3500 miles, cost $301.00 and take about 8 days in driving time... one way to LA via Vegas.

                            As for what parts of this trip I have taken, I've never been to Ohio, Nevada or Californicate.

                            For a return trip thru Texas, I would recomend I-10 so that you could spend some time in Tombstone, AZ and Roswell, NM, but that would depend on the area of Texas you want to travel to and the time you have allowed.

                            Directions & stats courtesy of Microsoft Streets & Trips.
                            If you drive through Austin, I will meet you for lunch at Chuy's........

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well, my plan is to make it to LA in 3 days or less..... Not a whole see america type thing...I was just curious to see if anything was along the way....

                              But thanks for the help, I appericate it....
                              THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

                              Patience with ignorance

                              Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

                              I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

                              When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

                              Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5202 users online. 284 members and 4918 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X