Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Arrow removed from my quiver

So much false information in this case.

I could bang away on an SQS-53B at full power and watch the fishies swim around, and the dolphins didn't seem to care. We had fake lawsuits in the late '90s over using low-freq active by scuba divers in California looking to cash out on the lottery (so to speak). It would be a bit uncomfortable within a few hundred feet snorkeling or diving around it, but not a big deal. We're hundreds of miles out doing this. And, actually, we rarely do this (passive SONAR, especially dragging the tail a mile behind and below the layer, is much better most of the time).

Without this tool, it is impossible to "conduct prompt and sustained combat operations at sea" and maintain maritime superiority.

Another attack through the courts based on non-scientific garbage and pathetically insignificant data.
    Sorry, didn't think LEOs would care about this, but I'm venting.
    With all the crap you have been going through lately, I thought maybe a distraction with an associated frustration would be helpful.

Source is ABC.
    \
    "A federal appeals court ruled Friday that the U.S. Navy was wrongly allowed to use sonar that could harm whales and other marine life.

The Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals reversed a lower court decision upholding approval granted in 2012 for the Navy to use low-frequency sonar for training, testing and routine operations.

The five-year approval covered peacetime operations in the Pacific, Atlantic, and Indian Oceans and the Mediterranean Sea.

The appellate panel sent the matter back to the lower court for further proceedings.

A message seeking comment from representatives of the U.S. Pacific Fleet in Honolulu was not immediately returned.

Sonar, used to detect submarines, can injure whales, seals, dolphins and walruses and disrupt their feeding and mating.

The 2012 rules adopted by the National Marine Fisheries Service permitted Navy sonar use to affect about 30 whales and two dozen pinnipeds, marine mammals with front and rear flippers such as seals and sea lions, each year.

The Navy was required to shut down or delay sonar use if a marine mammal was detected near the ship. Loud sonar pulses also were banned near coastlines and in certain protected waters.

Environmental groups, led by the Natural Resources Defense Council, filed a lawsuit in San Francisco in 2012, arguing that the approval violated the Marine Mammal Protection Act.

The appellate court ruled 3-0 that the approval rules failed to meet a section of the protection act requiring peacetime oceanic programs to have "the least practicable adverse impact on marine mammals."

"We have every reason to believe that the Navy has been deliberate and thoughtful in its plans to follow NMFS guidelines and limit unnecessary harassment and harm to marine mammals," the appellate ruling said.

However, the panel concluded that the fisheries service "did not give adequate protection to areas of the world's oceans flagged by its own experts as biologically important," according to a summary accompanying the court's decision.

"The result is that a meaningful proportion of the world's marine mammal habitat is under-protected," according to the decision."

Oh I see... Are you of your meds?

Comment

What the hell are you babbling about?

Comment

This is what he's babbling (bubbling?) about.
        This Space For Rent

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
          Oh I see... Are you of your meds?
          Or do we need to up them?

Comment

My meds are fine.
            I don't take any.
            Not even aspirin.

Comment

Maybe we should stop ship motors and other oceanic noisemakers entirely because the noise hurts the low frequency communication of large Cetaceans who are maybe much more intelligent than we are changing it from hundreds or thousands of miles down to tens.

Comment

Maybe that's why they helped us to learn how to nuke the surface -- if we kill all the surface life maybe some sea mammals can get some peace and quiet ...

Comment

Maybe they taught us nuke stuff 'cause they detested the Nippon cults constantly killing whales ...

Comment

Monty you are cracking me up!
                    I still need to go active occasionally on LF, though. Was there an earthquake in CA today???

Comment

Originally posted by Flank3 View Post
                      Another Arrow removed from my quiver
                      I apologize, I thought this thread was about sexual assault or vice investigations.

Comment

Of course now slap-dick & shillery want to remove all of the arrows from everyone's quivers.
                        Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
                        In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
                        Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
                        Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

Sorry about you quiver but it's par for the course lately. Global warming and environmental concerns over ride everything else.

Comment

Navy planning to appeal? Couldn't find anything on it.

Comment

Originally posted by astolfo83 View Post
                              Navy planning to appeal? Couldn't find anything on it.
                              Not yet, and probably would not be successful if they try (and current SECNAV is unlikely to even try) and even if he did, won't win given the current SCOTUS balance.

I'll guess we'll just have our 'great green fleet' burning bio-fuels at $150+/gal and the cuts in steaming hours to train as a result, reduced by more flaming-datums in the future.

Flaming datum: You know there's a submarine around because you just observed another ship blow up from a torpedo. Maybe then we can use SONAR?

Don't count on our carriers being able to work, survive, and hammer the bad guys away from here (home) as best we can anymore. If the destroyer can't protect it, along with the partner SSN, then...well...NFI.
                              Last edited by Flank3; 07-19-2016, 02:48 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4274 users online. 247 members and 4027 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X