300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash cam in pov?

I am thinking of getting a dash cam for my personal vehicle. I was wondering if anyone has one and if so what do you recommend?

I am considering this one but am still on the fence.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018TI...BWVNEC9EE3VYCN

Walmart is selling them for about $50-$150

I was going to get one just to play with but haven't yet

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=walmart+dash+cam
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I'll pass. I've got electronics that do just about everything but drive the car. They came with it. I'm too damned scared to add anything else.

Comment

Oy vey! Deciding what kind of dash cam to get is almost like deciding what kind of house you want to buy. (Seriously!) There are so many things to consider.

Do you want one with one camera (front view only) or two cameras (real view also)?

Picture quality is important for a couple reasons. You don't want a picture that is so blurred that you can't see what's going on, but at the same time, you don't want a picture whose quality is greater that your own vision, lest in a questionable accident it leads a jury to believe you could see more than you really did.

Do you want a camera with Bluetooth capabilities so you can download to a smart phone, versus having to manually remove the smartcard?

How big of a storage capacity do you want?

Does your camera have a battery or a capacitor so you don't have to keep resetting the time and date.

Do you want a camera with GPS capabilities that records your location and speed along with the video?

The list is endless.

Before you plunk our any money, take some time to study what's out there and what the different cameras offer. I started out looking at the cheap $50 cameras and after seeing what the different models did, wound up paying $400 to have a "good" one installed in my car. That was two years ago. Like computers, better versions come out every six months and my cameras are now several generations out of date.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
          I'll pass. I've got electronics that do just about everything but drive the car. They came with it. I'm too damned scared to add anything else.
          Working the alternator like a dog?
          This Space For Rent

Comment

A year ago I was thinking of buying one for our prisoner transport van and turning it toward the cell.

Instead my sheriff bought a $4000 in car system for the van just like the squad cars ..............
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

We need ts' do sum horsey trade'in..

Originally posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
              Working the alternator like a dog?

Pogie, get real'zza kitty'a, geez !
              Originally posted by mookster
              Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
              Originally posted by CityCopDC
              I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
              Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
              I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
              -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                Oy vey! Deciding what kind of dash cam to get is almost like deciding what kind of house you want to buy. (Seriously!) There are so many things to consider.

Do you want one with one camera (front view only) or two cameras (real view also)?

Picture quality is important for a couple reasons. You don't want a picture that is so blurred that you can't see what's going on, but at the same time, you don't want a picture whose quality is greater that your own vision, lest in a questionable accident it leads a jury to believe you could see more than you really did.

Do you want a camera with Bluetooth capabilities so you can download to a smart phone, versus having to manually remove the smartcard?

How big of a storage capacity do you want?

Does your camera have a battery or a capacitor so you don't have to keep resetting the time and date.

Do you want a camera with GPS capabilities that records your location and speed along with the video?

The list is endless.

Before you plunk our any money, take some time to study what's out there and what the different cameras offer. I started out looking at the cheap $50 cameras and after seeing what the different models did, wound up paying $400 to have a "good" one installed in my car. That was two years ago. Like computers, better versions come out every six months and my cameras are now several generations out of date.
                I want one that only records forward, has a decent pic quality, and will record if i get in a wreck to show the other guy did something stupid.

Comment

I feel ya. My suv has "brake assist". It's supposed to help in hard braking situations, but it just annoys the heck out of me.
                  "No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path."

Comment

Originally posted by NOLA2005 View Post
                    I feel ya. My suv has "brake assist". It's supposed to help in hard braking situations, but it just annoys the heck out of me.
                    I hate stuff like that. If i had something like that in my ride the fuse for it would be pulled

Comment

Brake assist? I've never heard of that, how is it different from ABS?

Comment

Brake assist is the system where the vehicle will stop itself, through radar technology, if the driver fails to apply the brake's in time. Just one more thing to go wrong IMO.
                        Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
                        In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
                        Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
                        Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by bpd303 View Post
                          Brake assist is the system where the vehicle will stop itself, through radar technology, if the driver fails to apply the brake's in time. Just one more thing to go wrong IMO.
                          New Subaru's have it, but it seems fairly useless because it only works under 25 mph.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
                            I want one that only records forward, has a decent pic quality, and will record if i get in a wreck to show the other guy did something stupid.
                            Let me try this another way.

You want to make sure you don't get a camera with cat's eye vision that sees in the dark, so when you hit a pedestrian dressed in all black, on a pitch black night, who couldn't be seen with the human eye, the jury won't find against you because the camera's night vision saw it clearly.

You want to make sure your camera has Bluetooth capability so if you get in a crash, the investigating officer can download your footage to his phone instead of seizing your camera or memory chip. Or so you can download it to your phone. That way you will maintain a copy for yourself and your insurance without having to remove the memory from the camera or the camera from the car.

You want to make sure your camera has a battery, so you don't have to set the time and date every time you start the car, lest someone challenge your video because it has the wrong date and time.

If you are not a lead foot, you want a camera with GPS speed measuring capabilities, so if someone accuses you of speeding at the time of your crash, your speed is captured in the video.

You want a camera with decent storage capacity so if someone accuses you of a hit and run two days ago, it has not been overwritten and you can go back and find it.

Depending on how much you drive, be prepared to replace your data card in the camera every few months as they can only be overwritten so many times before they become unstable.
                            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Geez, just how old are you?!?!
                              Originally posted by RSGSRT
                              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8137 users online. 285 members and 7852 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X