300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The way the news used to report

Since I have always liked to do historical research on NYC mostly, I'm always finding interesting items, somehow or other I wound up spending time reading about a fire at 120 Broadway near Wall St, NYC in January 1912, complete with some very good photos showing the ice encrusted everything. A lot of compelling material in the various articles describing heroism and rescues.

It was a big story at the time for several reasons, one that had faded into history almost forgotten.

The day of the fire there was a storm, with winds of 40 mph and gusts to 68 and the water from the hoses froze to ice before even hitting the building.
    The building when it was built in 1870 was considered the first skyscraper @ 130 feet high and had the first elevators.

Several billion dollars in securities, stocks, bonds and cash were stored in its huge basement vaults.
    A large law library in the building featured 40,000 volumes aside from a separate insurance library.

Turned out the fire was started by a carelessly tossed match into a waste paper can in the watchman's tiny office.

At one point early on, 22 engines, two water towers and 10 trucks were working the fire. Water was freezing in the air as streams were directed toward the raging flames. Ice was forming on everything in and around the burning building. At one point the floors began collapsing and they put in the first borough call ever and shut down the Brooklyn Bridge to allow nine engines, four hook and ladder trucks, a water tower, a searchlight engine and all the associated hose tenders to cross quickly from Brooklyn.

World financial markets were in a near panic as word spread that billions of dollars in stocks, bonds and securities could have been lost. In London, stocks took sharp losses as exaggerated accounts of the fire caused sell-offs of many stocks. New York bankers tried to calm fears and prevent a worldwide financial meltdown. On Jan. 11, under a guard of 150 policemen and 50 Burns detectives covering every possible approach, officers and clerks of the Equitable Trust Co. and Mercantile Trust Co. removed $375 million in securities and $10 million in cash from the ice-coated vaults.

Reading the newspaper accounts of the whole story, it's interesting to see how news was reported of such events just 100 years ago, so unlike the media today, the newspapers actually printed all of the details of the dead and injured, including their injuries and more, I'm not sure how I feel about todays media with their obvious censorship v/s putting all the gory details out.

Some samples from another article about a collapse of Madison Square Garden in 1880:

New York, April 21. -- An accident of a fatal character and which caused intense excitement, occurred at the Madison Square Garden tonight. The Hahnemann Hospital fair, which opened a week ago, was in progress, and there were about 800 people in the building. At half-past nine half the front of the building facing on Madison Avenue gave way, the wall falling outwards. Part of the roof also fell in with a crash.

The dead:

WILLIAM M. TILESTON, died at St. Luke's Hospital at 4 p.m. His injuries were very painful, consisting of compound fractures of both legs, a fracture of the left arm and lacerated wounds upon the head.

MARIA ANN CONNOLLY. Recognized yesterday by her brother. Although the body was mutilated, Connelly recognized the lower portion of his sister's face, the color of her hair, and a portion of her dress. Her face was crushed and her feet were mangled.

MRS. WILLETS, was struck by a heavy beam and killed instantly. Her body was crushed and mangled beyond recognition. A coroner's report states, "nearly every bone in her body was crushed."

MRS. ANNA L. WILLETS was crushed to death by the falling wall. Her body was crushed and terribly mangled.

The censorship is a fart in the wind compared to how careless some reporters are with hearsay, sensationalism, and plain old incorrect information. Whoever can get "something" out first wins, accurate information be damned.

Comment

Originally posted by dauntless89 View Post
      The censorship is a fart in the wind compared to how careless some reporters are with hearsay, sensationalism, and plain old incorrect information. Whoever can get "something" out first wins, accurate information be damned.
      Oh I know it! I have a name for that type of reporting: yellow journalism
      Yellow journalism is the kind who constantly states in stories and articles:

"...spoke on condition of anonymity"

"...declined to give a name as they were not authorised to speak to the media"

Then do the damn leg work and find someone who is "authorised" to speak to the media!

Comment

How about edited video to elicit a response.

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post

That's bad too, especially things taken out of context on purpose!

Comment

As I just mentioned in the thread about NYC and de Blasio, every member of the press DOES have a bias even though they claim they don't. Everyone looks at stories/events through their world view. People who say they don't are just not "aware." I know this as someone who was liberal in my youth and am conservative now.

It would be great if every reader figured this out for themselves but only a portion of Americans have. If we could get every journalist to admit to their readers what their world view is, readers would know they need to go get the story from someone with a different world view for balance.

Our educational system used to be the best at teaching critical thinking skills. Sadly, lack of critical thinking is one of this country's major problems right now. The addiction to technology is of course just one of the reasons....

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaPeel View Post
              As I just mentioned in the thread about NYC and de Blasio, every member of the press DOES have a bias even though they claim they don't. Everyone looks at stories/events through their world view. People who say they don't are just not "aware." I know this as someone who was liberal in my youth and am conservative now.

It would be great if every reader figured this out for themselves but only a portion of Americans have. If we could get every journalist to admit to their readers what their world view is, readers would know they need to go get the story from someone with a different world view for balance.

Our educational system used to be the best at teaching critical thinking skills. Sadly, lack of critical thinking is one of this country's major problems right now. The addiction to technology is of course just one of the reasons....
              Actually Emma, everyone READS and INTERPRETS a news story based on their world view and biases too .
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                Actually Emma, everyone READS and INTERPRETS a news story based on their world view and biases too .
                YES! So we have all kinds of bias going on with news......

Comment

And to take that a step further, the same is true of movies.

That's why so many use it as a form of subliminal indoctrination.

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
                    You mean like this one:

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4881 users online. 292 members and 4589 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X