300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome parking

I can't get over how these fireman back up this big fire engine and ladder truck so fast into the firehouse without a bit of hesitation or back and forth re-angling, they just back up fast in one shot perfectly better and faster than people backing a car up! Awesome drivers, have to wonder how they got so good.

There's two starting here, one after the other:

http://youtu.be/qiyWAqhpLWQ?t=2m00s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENGQr18tMRI

Anyone know what flashing light is on the pole? Seems odd.
    Originally posted by RSGSRT
    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

I think it's attached to a power pole or a building. Maybe to show that a circuit is tripped or an alarm is activated.
      Originally posted by Ceridwen
      Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Originally posted by dontknowwhy View Post
        I think it's attached to a power pole or a building. Maybe to show that a circuit is tripped or an alarm is activated.
        Think I agree there too, the guy moves the cam around so much it's hard to tell if it's flashing out the box number signal, but I know the Gamewell telegraph fire boxes and other brands street boxes often had a light on the pole above the box. In NYC the freestanding alarm box posts often had an entension on top with a glass globe that covered a red light, but this one in the video is not red.

There's a set of train tracks there that I thought might be related to the light, but a Google street view shows the area in 2009 and there is a vacant lot where the fire was, the imagery is poor but I believe I see the actual street light post that flashing light was on, the flashing light that was mounted lower down the pole is gone, so maybe it was connected to a burglar alarm or something:

Last edited by Sculptor; 01-18-2015, 02:12 PM.

Comment

It looks a lot like one of the blue-light cameras, officially known as "Police Observation Devices", that the City of Chicago started putting up about a decade ago to help combat crime. I would bet it is something similar.
          “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

Interesting. I've never seen anything like that before. I know they have strobe lights inside and outside buildings to show a triggered fire and/or burglary alarm, but I've never seen one blinking on a pole out front. Thanks for the answers!

BTW Sculptor - I ended up watching fire truck videos for like an hour this morning because of you!
            We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
            Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
              Interesting. I've never seen anything like that before. I know they have strobe lights inside and outside buildings to show a triggered fire and/or burglary alarm, but I've never seen one blinking on a pole out front. Thanks for the answers!

BTW Sculptor - I ended up watching fire truck videos for like an hour this morning because of you!
              Yeah, it is! I don't know for sure I'm right or not, just seems logical and the light does appear to be gone now along with the buildings that burned, so it would appear they were connected. That light certainly would get attention if an alarm went off- you'd see it a long ways down the street at night when you couldn't even hear the alarm that far.

Oh good! we'll make a fireman outta you yet

I was watching a bunch of FDNY videos too last night, damn but those air horns and sirens bring back memories of the city like nothing else because you hear them on a daily basis, it becomes part of the background noise.
              What I really like is the older mechanical sirens that all the fire trucks and police cars used to have in NYC, not only were they loud enough to wake the dead they sounded cool. I can't stand those modern electronic do-wop/warble whatever "sirens," those suck!

I remembered one video I saw a year ago or more and forgot to download it, I found it on the first search!

This one was great! a taxi blocking the fire truck and taking his time to move and the fire engine chauffer LAID on that air horn 5 feet behind the taxi driver's butt for 13 full seconds LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sculptor View Post
                I can't get over how these fireman back up this big fire engine and ladder truck so fast into the firehouse without a bit of hesitation or back and forth re-angling, they just back up fast in one shot perfectly better and faster than people backing a car up! Awesome drivers, have to wonder how they got so good.

There's two starting here, one after the other:

http://youtu.be/qiyWAqhpLWQ?t=2m00s
                Quite frankly, it's called "skill". This is the result of actually making an effort to learn how to operate your vehicle properly which, sadly, most people do not. That's why there are so many "parking fail" videos on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAJ View Post
                  Quite frankly, it's called "skill". This is the result of actually making an effort to learn how to operate your vehicle properly which, sadly, most people do not. That's why there are so many "parking fail" videos on the internet.
                  skill and practice. The Engineer probably goes in/out of at building 15-20 times a shift
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I would literally go insane if I was any type of first responder in NYC. Some of the traffic in the videos really makes me cringe.

Comment

I would literally go insane if I was any type of first responder in NYC. Some of the traffic in the videos really makes me cringe.
                      +1
                      This Space For Rent

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                        skill and practice. The Engineer probably goes in/out of at building 15-20 times a shift
                        For sure, but damn, I've never even seen a career truck driver who drives a truck all day back up a long rig like that!

The exterior building wall by the loading dock doors at work has been scraped twice by delivery trucks in the last few months backing up to the doors, one guy left deep gouges in the stucco wall about 8 feet long because the side of the trailer was scraping it as he slowly backed in!
                        Just last week after the wall had been fixed in the fall another trucker did the same thing! This isn't even a narrow garage door opening, it's the building wall angled away from the sidewalk and there's even two large steel pipes embedded into the concrete sidewalk to keep trucks away from the wall and hitting the doors, but they do it anyway.

Comment

It's wicked traffic especially at rush hour! crazy cab drivers, space cadet pedestrians who cross the streets where ever they feel like, bicycles cutting between lanes, buses, it's just sheer insanity to have private cars on the streets in Manhattan. Trucks you need, buses, taxis, but not private cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                            Exactly right.

For sure, but damn, I've never even seen a career truck driver who drives a truck all day back up a long rig like that!

The exterior building wall by the loading dock doors at work has been scraped twice by delivery trucks in the last few months backing up to the doors, one guy left deep gouges in the stucco wall about 8 feet long because the side of the trailer was scraping it as he slowly backed in!
                            Just last week after the wall had been fixed in the fall another trucker did the same thing! This isn't even a narrow garage door opening, it's the building wall angled away from the sidewalk and there's even two large steel pipes embedded into the concrete sidewalk to keep trucks away from the wall and hitting the doors, but they do it anyway.
                            Yep, the walls outside my building look the same from al the truck drivers who don't even bother to pay attention.

crazy cab drivers
                            Are there any other kind in Manhattan?

Comment

DC is probably the worst traffic I've ever had to negotiate - and it's mostly because they put the traffic lights in weird places. If you're not paying attention to the sides of the roads and looking for them, they can be easily missed. I've been to Chicago once and it wasn't too bad, but the constant sirens can get annoying. I hope to make it to NYC one day.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4002 users online. 158 members and 3844 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X