300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invited by this magazine

I received an invitation last month via facebook but I didn't see the notice until just a couple of weeks ago, so I responded back indicating I was interested since there was no cost to me to feature my work and be the subject of an article in the magazine. The editor sent this today:

I would like to invite you to exhibit your artistic work in Ars Luma New York, a magazine about visual arts in the New York area that we are about to launch very soon. This magazine will be very similar to Ars Luma (which is in Spanish): www.issuu.com/arsluma

For your article we just need the following:

- 4 to 12 images of your work (opcional: each with a note: title, technique, date, place, comments). Files can be JPG, PNG; BMP or PDF.
    - A short bio
    - A short text which describes or accompanies the work presented.
    - The contact information that you want to be published (website, Facebook, twitter, phone, etc.)

Here you can see our published issues to get an idea of the final articles: www.issuu.com/arsluma/docs

I hope you accept this invitation that has no other intention than to help artists in the promotion of their work. Obviously this does not have any cost for you. If we receive your material this week or the begining of the next one, we would be able to include your article in the next issue.
    Obviously this New York area version of their magazine is brand new, and I assume in English whereas their other magazine is in Spanish. Being brand new there isn't a "back issue" to read over, but
    I browsed some issues of their Spanish version and it looks to be a very high quality publication, it reminds me of some of the high end fashion magazines.

I don't speak Spanish, hopefully this new issue will be in English or bi-lingual, it is free to me and would be free exposure for my work, so I only see a win/win here.

Sounds like these guys are saying, "Give us your work, for free, so we can make money off it."

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post
      Sounds like these guys are saying, "Give us your work, for free, so we can make money off it."
      If they publish his info it's also free advertising for HIM.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I'll be ya' agent...
        Originally posted by mookster
        Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
        Originally posted by CityCopDC
        I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
        Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
        I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
        -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
          If they publish his info it's also free advertising for HIM.
          No, it's not free. Although there's apparently no money changing hands, the artist is out-of-pocket for time, materials, etc. It could still be a fair deal though, but only if the advertising targets people who might realistically purchase the artist's work.

Comment

Although there's apparently no money changing hands, the artist is out-of-pocket for time, materials, etc.
            ...which he would be anyway if he was paying for an advertising spot.

...AND they aren't asking for any original works.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I think tanksoldier is spot on, this is free advertising for me, the only materials I am sending are some digital images I already have on my computer, certainly no 8x10 glossy prints snail mailed! And then a bit of time composing a bio, story and details about the photos.

If I were to place an ad in a magazine I'd be taking all the risk plus paying for it.
              Back in 1980 I ran a 1/12 page display ad in Apartment Life magazine, it was $700 but about 700 people requested the brochure I had, and about 100 of them actually ordered something!

Now that magazine is called "Metropolitan Home" and maybe 3 years ago I wondered what an ad might cost, figuring with inflation maybe $1500-$1800 now... was I floored when I received the advertising packet in the mail, that very same tiny 1/12th page ad with one B&W photo was something like $27,500. I say "something like" because when I saw the 5 figure number I went HOLY S____!!!!!! and immediately tossed it in the trashcan and never looked at it again, it was over $20,000 I remember that much, and that was just for a one month single issue, it's published 12 times a year.

I don't know if this new magazine will sell anything for me, it's new so they do need content to start it, but they also have the Spanish version so it's not a totally brand new, unknown and untested enterprise. I do think the issues I browsed a bit seemed to have more of a focus on paintings and 2 dimentional work, but I did see some sculptural works, it's a "visual arts" magazine so it would cover all visual arts not just sculpture.

Comment

Your bio should include images of yourself wearing a robe and scarf in the studio contemplating your next effort. Be sure to mention how you once casually dismissed a 6 digit offer from a well know art critic for a piece you smashed later on because it just didn't express your inner most feelings the way you had hoped.

Comment

Originally posted by Sculptor View Post

Now that magazine is called "Metropolitan Home" and maybe 3 years ago I wondered what an ad might cost, figuring with inflation maybe $1500-$1800 now... was I floored when I received the advertising packet in the mail, that very same tiny 1/12th page ad with one B&W photo was something like $27,500. I say "something like" because when I saw the 5 figure number I went HOLY S____!!!!!! and immediately tossed it in the trashcan and never looked at it again, it was over $20,000 I remember that much, and that was just for a one month single issue, it's published 12 times a year.
                  The police newspaper I write for is a monthly, but our ad rates are WAY lower than that for a full page.
                  Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
                  Among Texas' finest
                  Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
                  Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
                  Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

Originally posted by chapwolfe View Post
                    The police newspaper I write for is a monthly, but our ad rates are WAY lower than that for a full page.
                    Heh, it has a lot to do with circulation numbers and makeup of scubscribers that sets ad rates, if you look at top names like Better Homes and Gardens, National Geographic etc. the ad costs are crazy! What gets me is there will be a full page ad for some medication followed by another full page of warnings, disclaimers and use instructions!

You never know, I might even have a use for an ad in a police publication some time, I did a sculpture of a 1920s era nurse, I'm inclined to do a similar one of an officer, and even explored the idea a year ago, but ran into difficulties with the cap style/uniform and badge designs and deciding what might work best for a generic "policeman" that doesn't so much depict a specific city/state due to the style.

Here's the nurse, done after a 1924 design on the St Vincent's Hospital, nurses' residence NYC

Comment

Very nicely done.
                      Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
                      Among Texas' finest
                      Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
                      Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
                      Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5801 users online. 341 members and 5460 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X