300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Tank Has Jet Engines and Fights Fires

This is cool. But would it work on bush fires.

Here’s your proof that sometimes being just a little bit crazy results in something amazing. This is a working fire truck. It is made from a WWII-era Russian T34 tank. Strapped to that tank’s roof are the engines from a MiG-21 fighter jet. They call this Frankenstein creation Big Wind, and it’s a wonder to see it in action.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/tank-je...183036460.html
    There are certain crimes that are simply too cruel, too sadistic, too hideous to be forgiven.”
    ― John E. Douglas, Journey Into Darkness.

6 Things you don't mess with.
    MY FAITH

MY FAMILY

MY FLAG

MY COUNTRY

MY HONOR AND THE THIN BLUE LINE

So I see that you have put jet engines on your tank. Now it is time to ask the real questions - where are the cup holders?
    REINSTATE THE TRIG
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    Your logic defies logic
    Originally posted by Rudy8116
    Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
    Originally posted by Michigan
    Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
    Originally posted by TheTick
    A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
    This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
    Originally posted by 02paul09
    Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

...And can you get it with leather upholstery, power seats, XM Radio, and Nav. system??

Comment

...and you gotta get rear vision camera so you can fight fires while in reverse
        REINSTATE THE TRIG
        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
        Your logic defies logic
        Originally posted by Rudy8116
        Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
        Originally posted by Michigan
        Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
        A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
        This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
        Originally posted by 02paul09
        Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

Pretty cool! but pumping 8,000 gallons of water a minute having a large enough water source right near by would be a tough one, that thing would empty a tanker truck fast!

Comment

So I guess the militarization of fire departments is ok?
            I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Meh. John Wayne did it better...
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
                So I guess the militarization of fire departments is ok?
                You guys can get a tank too, Rudy...but our tank'll still be cooler that y'all's tank!

Comment

Originally posted by Sculptor View Post
                  Pretty cool! but pumping 8,000 gallons of water a minute having a large enough water source right near by would be a tough one, that thing would empty a tanker truck fast!
                  Yep, I don't see how you can supply enough water for thing to be effective unless its for an airport fire or something. Brush fires.....useless.
                  Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
                  “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
                  “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
                  "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
                  ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Originally posted by Langford PR View Post
                    Yep, I don't see how you can supply enough water for thing to be effective. unless its for an airport fire or something. Brush fires.....useless.
                    Exactly...Even for an aircraft crash fire a nurse tanker would have to respond with it...and it'd have to be a huge tanker. 10-12000 gallons is about the largest truck-drawn tank that would be feasible, and that would still only supply it for about a minute and a half. Keep someting else in mind...for it to discharge 8000 GPM, something would have to supply water to it at 8000 GPM. I can't think of but one land based rig that's ever had an 8000 GPM pump, and it ain't a tanker. (See Next Paragraph)

Now it's possible to supply that much water to it...but to do so you'd need either a fireboat, a very specialized rig like FDNY's decommissioned Super Pumper System http://fireengines.net/reviews/sp/history.htm or multiple engines pumping from multiple hydrants, which takes time to set up.

The only theoretical use for this monster at a brush fire might be protecting exposures at a urban interface boundary...but again a viable water supply would have to be available, the rigs needed to pump to 'The Tank' would have to be available and the time to set it up would have to be available. That's a lot of 'Have To Bes' .

I think this is more of a cool toy than an actual practical piece of fire apparatus.
                    Last edited by photone; 01-11-2015, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Langford PR View Post
                      Yep, I don't see how you can supply enough water for thing to be effective unless its for an airport fire or something. Brush fires.....useless.
                      The only place that really would work is if there happened to be a lake, river, or pond nearby, but since the fire seemed to be put put pretty quickly, maybe it only used 8,000-10,000 gallons anyway. A gasoline tanker truck I read can hold 11,500 gallons, so that would seem to be enough for a little more than a minute of action- just about what the video seemed to imply by it's length that it took to put out that oilwell fire.

It would be quite a slow ordeal driving that tank out to the fire plus a fully loaded tanker truck of water behind it too for one minute of high pressure water.

Comment

Originally posted by photone View Post
                        a very specialized rig like FDNY's decommissioned Super Pumper System http://fireengines.net/reviews/sp/history.htm

Oh that's an interesting page! I remember seeing that rig in action in 1974, I guess I thought it was brand new

December 3rd 1963 Fire Commissioner Edward Thompson signed the contract for Mack Trucks to build the Super Pumper and it’s Tender at a cost of $875,000.00 to the city.

Pump capacity 8800 GPM at 350 PSI

That sucker was loud!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4129 users online. 192 members and 3937 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X