Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My sister

Hi friends,
    I just got off the phone with my 71 year old sister who I just learned is recovering from pneumonia, but more than the pneumonia was the bombshell that her doctor found a lung tumor on the xrays, apparently it has grown rapidly because it wasn't on the xrays taken 4 months earlier. She had a tumor removed from a lung a number of years ago that was benign. She was a smoker so it does seem to connect to the tumors.

She doesn't want to go through the "hospital heroics" near the end, the doctors are thinking 4-6 months since the tumor has grown rapidly, it sounds as though she would prefer to go the route of physician assisted suicide when it's near the end but she lives in Florida after having moved there from Vermont a few years ago.
    I'm okay with that route, though I know very little about it a google search reveals only 5 states have changed their laws and Florida is not one of them. So it would seem she would have to move back to Vermont if she wanted to go this route. I guess I need to do some research, I don't know what if anything I can do, she is not good with computers at all so anything I can find on this issue might be good to send her.
    Her husband is taking care of her pretty well and she sounded good, and upbeat on the phone.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister.

Comment

I hope everything goes well with her.

Comment

We just found out 2 weeks ago that my brother in law has a cancer tumor the size of a orange on his right lung... Additional test were done on Wednesday and they found a grape size cancer tumor on the left lung and cancer in his left hip...Had to go into the hospital Thursday evening as he had serious difficulty breathing and they ended up taking 2 liters of fluid out of his lungs.. The doctor said he is stage 4 and started his first chemo treatment last night...In the past 6 years he had had a heart attack, major back surgery and right hip replacement, and now we find out he has stage 4 cancer.. He is only 69 and has always been in good health until the past 5-6 years... He doesn't drink and hasn't smoked in over 40 years...He is the only family my wife has left and they are very close and we only live 1 block from each other....Doug is my best friend and it hurts to know that he may only have months to live..
        Retired LASD

Comment

Prayers for Retired96 and the OP.

Comment

My prayers are with both your families.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your sister, Sculptor. Prayers sent.

Comment

Thank you very much everyone, I appreciate the kind words. It also looks like retired96 and I will be going through very similar journeys unfortunately. This is a shock to me because I really had thought I would get one of these dreaded calls about her husband who is 79, or our 90+ year old cousin. There's not much I can do from 1800 miles away either.
                I must get to bed, keeping you in my thoughts too retired96.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister, Sculptor. Best wishes to her, and Retired96.
                  REINSTATE THE TRIG
                  Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                  Your logic defies logic
                  Originally posted by Rudy8116
                  Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
                  Originally posted by Michigan
                  Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
                  Originally posted by TheTick
                  A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
                  Originally posted by TheTick
                  This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
                  Originally posted by 02paul09
                  Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

Prayers for Sculptor and Retired96.

Comment

Sorry for the news. I lost my dad and a brother in a year, there ain't much you can do. I worked in a VA hospital in college and saw a number go the cancer route. They have meds that can make it painless but I don't think I'd want to check out that way either, it looked like it was hard on the family coming in all the time.

Comment

Thank you Jasper, you are right, there's really not much "outsiders" can do- meaning the ones outside of the doctor-patient-hospital realm.
                        I'm just not optimistic about this, in part because I know lung cancer is one of the worst and by the the time it's discovered it's already spread, also due to the rapid speed this has grown, it's like a switch was turned on.

Some sobering statistics:

• The lung cancer five-year survival rate (17.8%) is lower than many other leading cancer sites, such as the colon (65.4%), breast (90.5%) and prostate (99.6%).

• The five-year survival rate for lung cancer is 54.0 percent for cases detected when the disease is still localized (within the lungs). However, only 15 percent of lung cancer cases are diagnosed at an early stage. For distant tumors (spread to other organs) the five-year survival rate is only 4.0 percent.

• Over half of people with lung cancer die within one year of being diagnosed.

I pointed her to some web resources which a friend who had cancer gave me in a chat last night, who knows, maybe one of these might help her, or someone else who reads this:

******** this place in boynton beach has charity case
                        policy accepts medicare, top notch, also accepts medicare so they probably
                        have services for out of town patients
                        http://www.bethesdacancercenter.org/

[07:16 PM] ********: yeah? thanks i'll email it to her

[07:16 PM] ********
                        http://bethesdaradiation.com/1093349.html

[07:17 PM] ******* here is local place doing clinical trials

http://flcancer.com/ocala

[07:17 PM] ********* but for sure she should contact social worker
                        they can help navigate all options, cancer center will assign one usually so
                        first step is to get local social worker for cancer patients then get in for
                        assessment by leading treatment center, dont wait, she needs to do it asap

http://ocalahealthsystem.com/our-services/cancer/

[07:23 PM]******* a place to find an online advocate and resources
                        for her, they also have links to financial help
                        https://www.mylifeline.org/resources

[07:23 PM]******* sorry to hear of her diagnosis but i learned that
                        first docs are not always right.. my cancer was rare and hi grade... i am
                        cancer free so far... prognosis is excellent... they dont think it will come
                        back but i will be monitored to be sure

[07:24 PM] ******* what kind of cancer did you have, if I might ask?

[07:24 PM] ******** sarcoma, soft tissue so they do a ct scan every
                        year now to make sure no new ones and check lungs, i also get skin checked
                        every year- important in FL

[07:25 PM] ********* 90% of all cancers are curable didnt used to be
                        that good

******* here is one more,

http://floridacancer.com/patients/

and a link for you to research how you can help them navigate the insurance
                        and financial

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/find...-paying-a-bill
                        Last edited by Sculptor; 12-08-2014, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Damn, I'm real sorry for Sculptor and Retired96, ( even though Officer Retired don't talk to me)

I guess we can start a group or dump'in...

My favorite aunt peep was diagnosed W/ SCLC, prognosis, maybe 3 to 6 months best. My Mommy left me high and dry, never had nutt'in or nobody 'sept my Pa, just for a while....

Now I got nobody but Uncle Harry, I don't dink he live long after this..I always declared, "Harry and Donna" they twaz always 2 half's to make "one"...
                          Originally posted by mookster
                          Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                          Originally posted by CityCopDC
                          I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                          Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                          I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                          -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Asullivan,,,,, I hope you realize Retired and I are two different people although we did work and retire from the same dept..
                            Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by Sculptor View Post
                              Hi friends,
                              I just got off the phone with my 71 year old sister who I just learned is recovering from pneumonia, but more than the pneumonia was the bombshell that her doctor found a lung tumor on the xrays, apparently it has grown rapidly because it wasn't on the xrays taken 4 months earlier. She had a tumor removed from a lung a number of years ago that was benign. She was a smoker so it does seem to connect to the tumors.

She doesn't want to go through the "hospital heroics" near the end, the doctors are thinking 4-6 months since the tumor has grown rapidly, it sounds as though she would prefer to go the route of physician assisted suicide when it's near the end but she lives in Florida after having moved there from Vermont a few years ago.
                              I'm okay with that route, though I know very little about it a google search reveals only 5 states have changed their laws and Florida is not one of them. So it would seem she would have to move back to Vermont if she wanted to go this route. I guess I need to do some research, I don't know what if anything I can do, she is not good with computers at all so anything I can find on this issue might be good to send her.
                              Her husband is taking care of her pretty well and she sounded good, and upbeat on the phone.
                              I am very sorry to hear about your sister. Prayers coming your way.
                              There are certain crimes that are simply too cruel, too sadistic, too hideous to be forgiven.”
                              ― John E. Douglas, Journey Into Darkness.

6 Things you don't mess with.
                              MY FAITH

MY FAMILY

MY FLAG

MY COUNTRY

MY HONOR AND THE THIN BLUE LINE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6041 users online. 329 members and 5712 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X