Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To you non-cops, what brought you to O.Com?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To you non-cops, what brought you to O.Com?

There are quite a few civilians on this board who are valued posters. My question is, what brought you civilians to this cop board?
    I’ll die with blue in my veins.

I was doing a Google search but now I can't recall what the subject was. I happened upon this site as one of the search results and I was impressed with the information that I got.

I lurked around for a while prior to joining so I could get a feel for the different personalities and demeanors of the LEOs here and the ways in which they responded to us civilians. That way, if I wanted to ask a question, post a news article, post a video or just offer my opinion on something, I pretty much knew what kind of responses I would get and thus I wouldn't be surprised.

So far, I have enjoyed my time here, and I've done my darndest to keep my nose clean in the forums.
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

....,,,;;/
      Last edited by russo121; 04-18-2016, 10:51 AM. Reason: clairity

Comment

I was doing a search on some gun related info, I don't remember what exactly, I think I was looking into 1911s at the time and jwise or something like that had some good information. So the firearm section was where I first ended up and then started looking around. I lurked for about a year and saw many conservatives, which was refreshing since almost every forum I saw was heavily liberal and I was way outnumbered. So I started posting in Various Topic, which was much more active then. As the libs took over government the controversy died down since there wasn't the same level of animosity and poo slinging from the right. Then the libs dropped out one by one when Utopia wasn't realized so the forum sort of fizzled out. Also the controversy with the board had many leave.

I enjoyed the humor, knowledge and real world experience from the many people who lived and worked in the trenches verses those who speak by way of theory and rhetoric. So I stayed around. So for me it isn't necessarily law enforcement itself but more the socio-economic aspect and the people I've met here.

Comment

Nice question GoldBadge,

I can't respond regarding my fellow non-cops, especially in view of my being in the peculiar category of non-cop sworn LE, but now that it's getting colder in the Chicago-area latitude, please ask yourself this just for fun: what temperature within 1 degree is the same on the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales (correct answer below)

Spoiler!

I apologize for the hijack, GoldBadge, but you gotta admit you stoled the "Conservator" word from me

Comment

Did I really just read that Monty said he wasn't a cop?

Double check:: no it was terrible sarcasm.
            semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by russo121 View Post
              To lower the odds of getting arrested, by gaining knowledge and getting a different perspective.
              Holy balls. Try this: Don't break the law.
              MAC

Comment

....,,,,//
                Last edited by russo121; 04-18-2016, 10:50 AM.

Comment

I found this board doing research on lane splitting. When I saw that this was a LEO forum, I figured there'd be no better place to get info than the very foks who'd be the ones who'd nail me for doing it wrong. I lurked for a while and kinda dug the interaction. It felt just like old home week, as several of my buds have gone into LE with various local and state agencies, and we don't get together as often as we'd like. Reading some of the posts here is just like some of the late night conversations we have. I chime in now and again when I have something to add, even if it's only a one-liner to lighten the mood. Hell, even if this board had nothing else, I'd still come for the train wrecks that seem to happen weekly in the AAC section. Some can get pretty epic. "I tried to murder my ex, will that disqualify me from being a cop?" Yes. Yes it will.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
                    Nice question GoldBadge,

I can't respond regarding my fellow non-cops, especially in view of my being in the peculiar category of non-cop sworn LE, but now that it's getting colder in the Chicago-area latitude, please ask yourself this just for fun: what temperature within 1 degree is the same on the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales (correct answer below)

Spoiler!

I apologize for the hijack, GoldBadge, but you gotta admit you stoled the "Conservator" word from me
                    Holy crap, he's back!
                    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                    that we are all that stands between
                    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

When I first researched this site, I was engaged to my now husband that's a LEO. I was looking for ways to fit in to a new way of life. And yes, I didn't want to mess it up by doing the wrong thing.
                      As it turned out, I was worrying for nothing.
                      I've made some friends here, so I've stayed. I should sign on more often but do the best that I can do.
                      Originally posted by JasperST
                      "The fail is strong with this one."

Originally posted by mdrep
                      It's not sporting old chap. Like shooting fish in a barrel. You may only take a shot at a poser or troll if they are running and you are properly licensed.

What do you think we are, a bunch of barbarians?

Comment

I was a non-sworn police employee who came to ask my betters advice on going to the road. It helps when you ask a group of people in the profession that you don't personally know, because they won't sugarcoat things and will give a more impartial answer.

In the end, you got your hooks in me.
                        There once was a man who said: "Though,
                        it seems that I know that I know,
                        what I'd like to see is the I that knows me,
                        when I know that I know that I know."

- Alan Watts

Comment

I am going into Law Enforcement and I was curious if such a website actually existed. I just typed into Google random tags and I saw this forum pop up as the first site. I probably spent 2 or 3 hours that day just reading through all kinds of threads. I haven't been a member for very long, but I have learned a lot of useful information. I love seeing the topics that are brought up. This is easily one of my favorite websites to visit and I enjoy logging on everyday. I always get a laugh when I see one of those "you have got to be kidding me" questions being asked and I love the smart a** responses.

Comment

At a guess the most common answer would be "Because I am interested in being a police officer."

Unless you're only talking about the long-term members who are not officers and have never evinced any particular desire to be one.
                            Originally posted by Michigan
                            Now that you mention it, who are you?

Comment

I arrived with the primary intention of discussing questionable events\laws with the most informed and qualified group that I figured I would find. My initial approach left a lot to be desired, and I apologize to those who I didn't show the appropriate level of respect to at the time. I underestimated how easy it is for those in your field to relate to those who make mistakes that cost them everything, and now have a much more empathetic perspective. After learning to take a step back and better differentiate intentionally malicious behavior from accidents, I've found that my perspectives now generally seem to align with the industry professionals who comment here.

I also find the underlying theme of personal responsibility to be an intoxicating change from what's commonly found in internet discussions. I share some common interests with most police officers (legal procedure, firearms, skepticism, accountability).

Watching people pay for asking stupid questions here is always a good time as well.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6389 users online. 387 members and 6002 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X