300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet health insurance

Somewhere buried back around when I first joined early last May I'm pretty sure I mentioned my 3-1/2 year old dog who became paralized in Oct 2013 in his back half from a tiny embolism in the spine called a "cartilagenous embolism." It happens when a small amount of disk material somehow winds up in a blood vessel in the spine and blocks it, causing the nerves to die. Two out of three dogs eventually recover at least a a percentage of their normal walking and other functions, my dog unfortunately had no improvement at all and became worse over the two months the doctors and I were hoping for a recovery.

With the cost for his MRI ($1500), blood tests, exam, neurologist, and some physical therapy and all the rest at the major teaching university here that ran me about $2500-$2800, I thought a bit about that pet insurance I've seen around for years and years but never bought. I decided to take a look at it and see if there was a reasonable plan with decent benefits that would help if I run into another health thing like this, especially since I bought a puppy in February.
    I looked at the VPI offerings since they seem to be the highest reviews and in business for along time, I liked what I saw in their plans so I decided to get their major medical plan for about $29 a month.
    It does have a $250 deductable, but it looks like it's a good plan for the money and would very well have covered some of the bad problems I've had over the years- stomach torsion, a slip on the ice on concrete that required a penrose drain in the dog's elbow and surgery to put it in, the spinal embolism and so forth.

I'm curious if anyone else has a similar insurance on their dog and how they like their plan.

I also wonder now about the various canine officers, drug detection dogs etc., how does the average city/county police dept deal with the inevitable costs for canine medical care, do they usually buy insurance like this (if available), or just cover it from county funds?

I know a lot of pets are put down because their owners simply can't afford medical costs, the insurance can help bridge the gap with some and probably a lot of people don't even know there is such insurance. I'm hardly the horn of plenty of richness here, and that $2800 was a big hit on my credit card but I'm lucky I had it to use.

The hospital's paperwork asked me to specify a maximum amount I would guarantee for treatment, that was something I've never run into before. At first it struck me as a real nifty way to run up a huge bill just keeping it slightly under the customer's stated max, it was definitely uncomfortable but I rationed that this facility is not some fly-by-night.
    The bill was actually considerably less than their total estimate on that incoming paperwork.
    Last edited by Sculptor; 11-11-2014, 10:32 PM.

Originally posted by Sculptor View Post

I also wonder now about the various canine officers, drug detection dogs etc., how does the average city/county police dept deal with the inevitable costs for canine medical care, do they usually buy insurance like this (if available), or just cover it from county funds?

Most of the vet costs are either budgeted or covered by donations.

Lots of veterinary care is donated by the Veterinarians.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      Most of the vet costs are either budgeted or covered by donations.
      Lots of veterinary care is donated by the Veterinarians.
      Oh I see, that's very good too when the veterinarians are willing to do that. Good deal all around then.

Comment

Don't forget rapture care coverage: http://www.aftertherapturepetcare.com/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6398 users online. 336 members and 6062 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X