Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Quentin death row inmate dies of natural causes.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Quentin death row inmate dies of natural causes.

San Quentin death row inmate dies of natural causes
    Associated Press
    Posted: 11/06/2014 08:19:38 AM PST0 Comments
    Updated: 11/06/2014 08:19:40 AM PST
    SAN QUENTIN -- A San Quentin death row inmate convicted of two 1985 murders in Los Angeles died Wednesday of natural causes, state prison officials said.
    California's Department of Corrections said 74-year-old Steven Michael Homick was pronounced dead at 11:26 a.m. at a hospital near the prison.
    Homick was sentenced to death by a Los Angeles County jury for the September 25, 1985 contract killings of Gerald Woodman, 67, and Vera Woodman, 63.
    The couple was killed in an underground garage at their Brentwood condominium after returning from a family gathering to celebrate the end of Yom Kippur.
    Prosecutors said the couple's two sons hired Homick and his brother, Robert Homick, to kill their parents in hopes of collecting on their mother's $500,000 insurance policy and saving a plastics manufacturing firm founded by their father.
    Steven Michael Homick was convicted of being the triggerman. He had been on death row since January 25, 1995. His brother is serving life without parole.
    The department said 65 condemned inmates have died from natural causes since California reinstated the death penalty in 1978. There are 749 people on California's death row.
    Current name for Death Row

My suggested name change.

Above news article is another example why San Quentin’s Condemned Row is referred to (by me) as Senior Housing, a State Operated Gated Community.

I find difficult to put into words (and not be banned from this forum) my thoughts when visiting death row as a young Detective and returning decades later seeing the same inmates who will die of old age outlive(d) those instrumental in placing them there.

Come on, it hasn't even been 30 years since he was sentenced.

Comment

From the Calfornia Death Penalty Wiki page...............

The latest change of method was introduced in January 1993, when lethal injection was offered as a choice for people sentenced to death. David Mason however chose to die from lethal gas in August 1993, just seven months after lethal injection was introduced. This was replaced with lethal injection as the standard method in 1994. William Bonin was the first person to be executed by these new laws on February 23, 1996. Thirteen people have been executed in California since the death penalty was reinstated in 1977, though 56 other people have died on death row from other causes (14 of them from suicide) as of October 25, 2007.[11]

There has also been a federal imposed moratorium on executions since 2006----------------and then------------

On July 16, 2014, federal judge Cormac J. Carney of the United States District Court ruled that California's death penalty system is unconstitutional because it is arbitrary and plagued with delay. The state has not executed a prisoner since 2006. The judge stated that the current system violates the Eighth Amendment's ban on cruel and unusual punishment by imposing a sentence that “no rational jury or legislature could ever impose: life in prison, with the remote possibility of death.” The state of California is believed to be likely to appeal the decision to the Ninth Circuit Court.[2]
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It will be ok. According to some new legislation passed in California, most of these inmates are about to be resentenced with misdemeanor charges.

Comment

Too bad the son can't be sued for insurance fraud (if a lawsuit hasn't been attempted already).
          Last edited by PtownVAMike; 11-06-2014, 06:58 PM.
          It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Shush View Post
            It will be ok. According to some new legislation passed in California, most of these inmates are about to be resentenced with misdemeanor charges.
            and if you are an illegal alien, you will receive $500,000 for your pain and suffering.
            Whack them all now so that it cannot be considered arbitrary and plagued with delay.
            September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Twenty years from now when I’m sitting by the fireplace with my grandson on my knee and he asks what did you do as a police officer in California, I’ll be able to look him straight in the eye and say “Son your granddaddy made felony arrest and criminals went to prison long before law enforcement was castrated by liberal politicians and voters who released and resentenced convicted felons with misdemeanor charges.”
              Last edited by sanitizer; 11-06-2014, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sanitizer View Post
                Twenty years from now when I’m sitting by the fireplace with my grandson on my knee and he asks what did you do as a police officer in California, I’ll be able to look him straight in the eye and say “Son your granddaddy made felony arrest and criminals went to prison long before law enforcement was castrated by liberal politicians and voters who released and resentenced convicted felons with misdemeanor charges.”
                I don't think we'll be allowed to make arrests in 20 years, looks to tactical.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                  From the Calfornia Death Penalty Wiki page...............

The latest change of method was introduced in January 1993, when lethal injection was offered as a choice for people sentenced to death. David Mason however chose to die from lethal gas in August 1993, just seven months after lethal injection was introduced. This was replaced with lethal injection as the standard method in 1994. William Bonin was the first person to be executed by these new laws on February 23, 1996. Thirteen people have been executed in California since the death penalty was reinstated in 1977, though 56 other people have died on death row from other causes (14 of them from suicide) as of October 25, 2007.[11]

There has also been a federal imposed moratorium on executions since 2006----------------and then------------

On July 16, 2014, federal judge Cormac J. Carney of the United States District Court ruled that California's death penalty system is unconstitutional because it is arbitrary and plagued with delay. The state has not executed a prisoner since 2006. The judge stated that the current system violates the Eighth Amendment's ban on cruel and unusual punishment by imposing a sentence that “no rational jury or legislature could ever impose: life in prison, with the remote possibility of death.” The state of California is believed to be likely to appeal the decision to the Ninth Circuit Court.[2]
                  I will re-introduce my "Electric Bleachers" system of reducing the population on "Senior Housing, a State Operated Gated Community". Twenty five at a time would be a good round number.

Of course, we would need to build a new nuclear power plant to provide the necessary electricity for this system to be effective and not cause "brownouts" or "Alerts" for power shortages.
                  My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

Too soon man!

Originally posted by chiefjack View Post
                    I will re-introduce my "Electric Bleachers" system of reducing the population on "Senior Housing, a State Operated Gated Community". Twenty five at a time would be a good round number.

Of course, we would need to build a new nuclear power plant to provide the necessary electricity for this system to be effective and not cause "brownouts" or "Alerts" for power shortages.
                    Maybe not, because you'd have way more juice than you need thanks to the law abiding folk like me whould would be willing to power down the entire house to make sure you have enough on the day.

Originally posted by sanitizer View Post

He approves.

Comment

Good riddance!
                      I didn't see much mention of the two sons who hired the contract killer , they were just as guilty of homicide.
                      It reminded now of Kuklinski, the "iceman" who was in prison and it appeared as though someone was slowly poisoning him (one of his methods to kill others) it was pretty funny reading about his paranoia near the end that his deterioration and health problems, he feared was due to being poisoned
                      He was another real freak/creap and contract killer who unfortunately got 3 hots and a cot for a number of years instead of what he should have gotten.
                      I read the book about him, I doubted some of his dramatic stories though.

Comment

Senior housing, a state operated gated community... THAT is effing hilarious!

If they reduced those guys and released them, I would seriously consider leaving California. Reading through the crimes of those on Death row, the innocence project is not my first thought.
                        semper destravit

Comment

The guy I put on CA's Death Row, James Nelson Blair, has gone (or is faking being) clinically insane. And, as being such, he can no longer be executed. I was looking forward to watching him die. He'll probably outlive me, all the while rolling his turds into little balls and singing.

To be put on Death Row, in CA, means you really worked HARD to get there. That work should be appreciated and you should get the sentence you qualify for, too bad so many soft-hearted others don't realize it.
                          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by chiefjack View Post

If you can just assure it will be SOLAR powered, you might make some headway!
                            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                              The guy I put on CA's Death Row, James Nelson Blair, has gone (or is faking being) clinically insane. And, as being such, he can no longer be executed. I was looking forward to watching him die. He'll probably outlive me, all the while rolling his turds into little balls and singing.

To be put on Death Row, in CA, means you really worked HARD to get there. That work should be appreciated and you should get the sentence you qualify for, too bad so many soft-hearted others don't realize it.

Keith, saw his name on the Condemned Inmate List before I posted this thread.
                              If it’s any consolation your colleagues know you did your job. Unfortunately the State dropped the ball.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6114 users online. 344 members and 5770 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X