300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose Canseco cleaning "accident" gun goes boom

He ignored the essential safety rules, and paid the price. Could have been much worse of course. But, does not help the cause being a high profile person.

Jose Canseco accidentally shoots off finger while cleaning his gun
    Former baseball all-star and admitted steroid user Canseco suffered non-life-threatening injuries after shooting himself in Las Vegas Tuesday afternoon, according to his fiancée. He didn't know it was loaded? He didn't know because he didn't check.

BY Christian Red
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Twenty-five years after making World Series headlines by helping the A’s win a title, former Bash Brother Jose Canseco made news of a decidedly different kind Tuesday, accidentally shooting himself at his Las Vegas home, according to his fiancée.

Actress and model Leila Knight told the Daily News that Canseco was cleaning one of his four guns in the couple’s kitchen when it discharged and blew off the middle finger of his left hand.

“He had been at the shooting range a few days earlier. He didn’t know it was loaded,” Knight told The News. “The middle finger was hanging by a thread, and I wrapped his hand in a towel and then called 911. The doctors said they would either have to amputate or do reconstructive surgery. But if they do surgery, he won’t be able to use it again. He blew away an artery and a big bone chunk.”
    Leila Knight and Jose Canseco Tiffany Rose/WireImage Las Vegas Police arrived at the home shortly after Caseco's fiancée, Leila Knight (r.) called 911, and she said she filed a report with authorities.

Knight said Canseco was taken to University Medical Center in Las Vegas. She did not know how long the former slugger would remain hospitalized. Canseco, 50, and Knight moved to Vegas about two years ago, she said.

Las Vegas Police arrived at the home shortly after Knight called 911, and she said she filed a report with authorities. Knight said that the gun — a Ruger pistol — is licensed to Canseco, as are the other three weapons he owns. She said Canseco showed his gun license to the police officers.

Leila Knight Albert L. Ortega/Getty Images Knight said that the gun – a Ruger pistol – is licensed to Canseco, as are the other three weapons he owns. She said Canseco showed his gun license to the police officers.

“At first the police asked me if we were in a fight. I said of course we weren’t. We have four guns in the house. We are now going to have zero. I hate guns,” Knight said. “Jose is a little freaked out. He keeps saying, ‘Sorry, sorry.’ But we’re extremely lucky, lucky it wasn’t worse, or that he didn’t shoot me.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1990815
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

...Knight said that the gun — a Ruger pistol — is licensed to Canseco, as are the other three weapons he owns. She said Canseco showed his gun license to the police officers.

Leila Knight Albert L. Ortega/Getty Images Knight said that the gun – a Ruger pistol – is licensed to Canseco, as are the other three weapons he owns. She said Canseco showed his gun license to the police officers...
    What are Nevada 'gun licenses'?

Comment

Gents, is he also not a Felon? How did he get the "license" if so? Pleads to felony:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/ca...elony-1.321770

Quick Wiki search:

On February 10, 1989, Canseco was arrested for reckless driving after allegedly leading an officer on a 15-mile chase. He was found guilty and fined $500.[41]

On April 11, 1989, Canseco was arrested in California for carrying a loaded semi-automatic pistol in his car.[42] He was released on $2,500 bail and pled no contest.[43][44]

On February 13, 1992, he was charged with aggravated battery for allegedly ramming his then-wife Esther's BMW with his Porsche.[42] On March 19, 1992, Canseco pled not guilty to charges of aggravated assault and later underwent counseling and fulfilled a community-service requirement.[45]

Canseco was arrested in November 1997 for hitting his then-wife, Jessica. In January 1998, he pled no contest and was sentenced to one year probation and required to attend counseling.[46]

In October 2001, Canseco and his brother, Ozzie, got into a fight with two California tourists at a Miami Beach nightclub that left one man with a broken nose and another needing 20 stitches in his lip; both were charged with two counts of aggravated battery. The brothers both pleaded guilty and received both probation and community service.[47]

In March 2003, Canseco missed a court appearance while in California working out a custody dispute over his 6-year-old. The judge revoked his probation and sentenced him to two years under house arrest followed by three years probation.[48]

In June 2003, Canseco was arrested at his home for probation violation after he tested positive for steroids. Canseco spent a month in jail without bail.[49]

In May 2008, Canseco revealed that he had lost his house in Encino, California to foreclosure saying his two divorces had cost him $7 to $8 million each.[50]

On October 10, 2008, Canseco was detained by immigration officials at a San Diego border crossing as he tried to bring a fertility drug from Mexico. He stated the drug was to help with his hormone replacement therapy, needed due to his use of steroids.[51] On November 4, 2008, Canseco pled guilty in Federal court and was sentenced to 12 months' unsupervised probation by U.S. Magistrate Judge Ruben B. Brooks.[52]

The 2008 A&E Network documentary Jose Canseco: Last Shot chronicles Canseco's attempts to end his steroid use.[53]

On May 22, 2013, Canseco was named as a suspect in a rape allegation in Las Vegas. He broke the news himself on Twitter, denying the allegations and posting pictures and defamatory information about his accuser. On June 7, 2013, Canseco was cleared of any wrongdoing following an investigation. He was never charged.[54]
      - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Jose Canseco accidentally shoots off finger while cleaning his gun
        Former baseball all-star and admitted steroid user Canseco suffered non-life-threatening injuries after shooting himself in Las Vegas Tuesday afternoon, according to his fiancée. He didn't know it was loaded? He didn't know because he didn't check.
        Rule #1 with all firearems is....

Assume every firearm is LOADED and ready to fire when you handle it, unless you specifically UNload it right then and there and know for sure it's unloaded.
        It's amazing how many idiots shoot themselves or others while "cleaning" a gun they don't even bother to check and unload!

Comment

Originally posted by Sculptor View Post
          It's amazing how many idiots shoot themselves or others while "cleaning" a gun they don't even bother to check and unload!
          I don't think it's amazing. The reason I say that is because:

danger is natural, safety is artificial.

By that I mean, breaking one or more gun safety rules is THE NATURAL THING TO DO: observing all gun safety rules, on the other hand, is UN-NATURAL: you have to train yourself to do it, before you can do it. Once you are trained: then you see how others violate gun safety rules, even in the movies, even in classic Star Trek, where Kirk, Spock & McCoy are on a planet, on a mission, discussing their next move, while holding their phasers, casually pointed at each other, with their finger on the trigger: when you see that, and it bothers you, then you know that you have started to internalize the gun safety rules. OR how about when some guy puts a pistol down the front of his pants, with his finger on or near the trigger: they keep showing that in the movies! You know those actors are mostly Hollywood libs who hate guns, have no training, and tell themselves: "it's just a prop, totally safe, what are you worried about?"
          https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/TROP.jpg

List of Islamic terror attacks in the last 30 days

Comment

Originally posted by Steve856
            This just does not make sense. Seriously, just exactly how does one shoot himself (or someone else) while cleaning a gun? Does anyone really clean his gun while it is loaded? Even to the uninitiated, isn't the first step of any gun cleaning to remove the magazine, check the action, and rack the slide back a few times to clear any possible rounds? I mean, this is no rocket science!
            Harder to remember all that if a few drinky poos were part of the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve856
              Is "shot while cleaning a gun" simply a euphemism for "shot while playing with a gun"?

Of course it's a euphemism, and it also shows just how complicit the media is in perpetrating the idea that "guns are evil".

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
              He ignored the essential safety rules, and paid the price.
              When you ignore the basic rules, you are vitually guaranteed to become a statistic. Every time I pick up one of mine, the first thing I do is drop the mag then rack and check. Not because I think a little fairy slipped in and loaded my heaters while I wasn't looking (it would have to be a fairy since noone else has direct access to my guns). But because it's the right thing to do. Every time.

What really bugs me about this whole thing is that the media made zero effort to question anything and are just taking it at face value. No one looked jojo in the eye and said "Really? You shot your finger off while cleaning your gun? How were you cleaning a fully assembled and loaded gun, exactly?" Maybe if people actually started getting prosecuted in these cases things might change.

Comment

Comment

Gents, is he also not a Felon? How did he get the "license" if so? Pleads to felony:

Quick Wiki search:

On February 10, 1989, Canseco was arrested for reckless driving after allegedly leading an officer on a 15-mile chase. He was found guilty and fined $500.[41]

On April 11, 1989, Canseco was arrested in California for carrying a loaded semi-automatic pistol in his car.[42] He was released on $2,500 bail and pled no contest.[43][44]

On February 13, 1992, he was charged with aggravated battery for allegedly ramming his then-wife Esther's BMW with his Porsche.[42] On March 19, 1992, Canseco pled not guilty to charges of aggravated assault and later underwent counseling and fulfilled a community-service requirement.[45]

Canseco was arrested in November 1997 for hitting his then-wife, Jessica. In January 1998, he pled no contest and was sentenced to one year probation and required to attend counseling.[46]

In October 2001, Canseco and his brother, Ozzie, got into a fight with two California tourists at a Miami Beach nightclub that left one man with a broken nose and another needing 20 stitches in his lip; both were charged with two counts of aggravated battery. The brothers both pleaded guilty and received both probation and community service.[47]

In March 2003, Canseco missed a court appearance while in California working out a custody dispute over his 6-year-old. The judge revoked his probation and sentenced him to two years under house arrest followed by three years probation.[48]

In June 2003, Canseco was arrested at his home for probation violation after he tested positive for steroids. Canseco spent a month in jail without bail.[49]

In May 2008, Canseco revealed that he had lost his house in Encino, California to foreclosure saying his two divorces had cost him $7 to $8 million each.[50]

On October 10, 2008, Canseco was detained by immigration officials at a San Diego border crossing as he tried to bring a fertility drug from Mexico. He stated the drug was to help with his hormone replacement therapy, needed due to his use of steroids.[51] On November 4, 2008, Canseco pled guilty in Federal court and was sentenced to 12 months' unsupervised probation by U.S. Magistrate Judge Ruben B. Brooks.[52]

The 2008 A&E Network documentary Jose Canseco: Last Shot chronicles Canseco's attempts to end his steroid use.[53]

On May 22, 2013, Canseco was named as a suspect in a rape allegation in Las Vegas. He broke the news himself on Twitter, denying the allegations and posting pictures and defamatory information about his accuser. On June 7, 2013, Canseco was cleared of any wrongdoing following an investigation. He was never charged.[54]
                  This is very disturbing...I don't understand how he is allowed to have any guns, let alone be issued a "Gun License". Gun license infers to me that he applied to some form of government agency and was told he has "permission" to have guns!!!

Just WOW!!!
                  My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

Originally posted by chiefjack View Post
                    This is very disturbing...I don't understand how he is allowed to have any guns, let alone be issued a "Gun License". Gun license infers to me that he applied to some form of government agency and was told he has "permission" to have guns!!!

Just WOW!!!
                    double tap
                    Last edited by WillBrink; 10-31-2014, 07:56 AM.
                    - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by chiefjack View Post

Just WOW!!!
                      Nor sure what you mean by that, but he would have applied to the issuing authority for the state he's in, which appears to be NV. I don't know if he some how "slipped through the cracks" and was issued the license as a convicted felon, or some other aspect I'm not aware of. I will say, people get denied a CCW license for a lot less than he has done, and I suspect fame/$$/hero worship of sports figures played some part. I hope I'm wrong there...

No LEO who knows NV law to comment?
                      - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post

Perfect example of how these kinds of "accidents" are anything but.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAJ View Post
                          When you ignore the basic rules, you are vitually guaranteed to become a statistic. Every time I pick up one of mine, the first thing I do is drop the mag then rack and check. Not because I think a little fairy slipped in and loaded my heaters while I wasn't looking (it would have to be a fairy since noone else has direct access to my guns). But because it's the right thing to do. Every time.
                          ^This. So much truth in this statement. And besides, isn't it just fun to manipulate a gun? Drop mag, rack slide, mag in, rack, point, shoot/no-shoot, repeat. Could keep me entertained for days, and (even though it would be cleared beforehand) inherently clears the weapon.
                          REINSTATE THE TRIG
                          Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                          Your logic defies logic
                          Originally posted by Rudy8116
                          Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
                          Originally posted by Michigan
                          Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
                          Originally posted by TheTick
                          A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
                          Originally posted by TheTick
                          This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
                          Originally posted by 02paul09
                          Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

Quick Wiki search:

I was actually with Navy Border Liaison Unit San Diego when he was popped for the fertility drugs. He's not the brightest light bulb in the chandelier. Saw him in cuffs at the secondary inspection holding that day.
                            GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

issued the license as a convicted felon,
                              Colorado restores all rights of citizenship 10 years after all sanctions for a felony are complete.

Prison, probation, parole, whatever. 10 years after that's done, you get to vote, bear arms and all the rest.

NV may have something similar.
                              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6347 users online. 342 members and 6005 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X