300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commute to Work

Hey folks, currently I live in the city I am a police officer in. My commute to the station is about 5 minutes and to the school I am assigned to is about 10 minutes. However, I live in an end of group townhouse (about 1100sq ft), with a small yard and no assigned parking (officially..but the residents do utilize the "honor system" of allowing 2 cars per house to park in front). My guests, as well as my other cars and my patrol car, have to park in the "visitor" spaces in the center of the development. I am looking at a home near my folks' place, literally a 5 minute walk, that sits on an acre next to a small farm, on a pretty much dead-end street, in the boonies. I know most of the people there since I grew up there, and my fiancee and jog/run on the street without fear of getting run over....

Now, here's the reason I posted this... The drive goes from 5 - 10mins to 30 - 40mins, depending on circumstances (traffic, weather, etc).... I have a take-home car so the gas to and from work is not an issue for me, but my fiancee' has to drive further to her work now too (which is right outside the town I work in) with her personal car.

So, do you feel the 40min trade-off for the bigger house on 1ac on a dead end street in the sticks is worth it from a closer, smaller, townhouse?
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

For me, yes. But I commuted up to 2 hours into Manhattan, so take that for what it's worth.
    I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Both myself and my LEO husband have a commute for about 30 minutes, each way depending upon traffic. Once you get used to it, it's not so bad. Well worth the added space/parking.
      Originally posted by JasperST
      "The fail is strong with this one."

Originally posted by mdrep
      It's not sporting old chap. Like shooting fish in a barrel. You may only take a shot at a poser or troll if they are running and you are properly licensed.

What do you think we are, a bunch of barbarians?

Comment

I drove 35-45 minutes (or roughly that many miles too) for several years. Usually it was a good thing but it does take an hour away from your "time at home"

Now I am closer-----------roughly 5 minutes/miles from home BUT live out in the sticks
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Normally, I would focus on an area that is split relatively even from our parents' houses and our work, but in the area my folks live, most houses go for $400k and up. This one needs updating but is liveable in its current state. That's why I am considering it, because its close to both of our parents, just a bit further from work. When we have kids, we'd be close to some schools and right down the street from grandmom and granddad

They are asking $275 (neg), which is cheap for the area.
          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
            Normally, I would focus on an area that is split relatively even from our parents' houses and our work, but in the area my folks live, most houses go for $400k and up. This one needs updating but is liveable in its current state. That's why I am considering it, because its close to both of our parents, just a bit further from work. When we have kids, we'd be close to some schools and right down the street from grandmom and granddad

They are asking $275 (neg), which is cheap for the area.
            Back in 1990 we bought a "fixer upper" that was livable.

We are still living in it and still working on it..........Contractors coming out next week for new windows
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Commute To Work

For me it would be in a heart beat. I grew up on a dairy farm, so just living in a dorm room when I went to college was a big change. When I first started full time, permanent cop work, I lived in an apartment. I hated it. Nothing belonged to me. There was no room to do things that I like to do.

When I bought my first house, it was in a township next to the city I worked for. No take home cars, so I had about a 5 minute commute. It was a huge improvement over an apartment for me.`

When I quit being a police officer to beome a deputy sheriff, I decided to move again. If we lived in the county, we could take home a vehicle, depending on the division you were in. I told the real estate agent I wanted 5 acres, or more, in the county. It took some time, but we found a great hobby farm. It was the best move I ever made!

Comment

Tick,
                We do plan on having kids, hopefully before we are too old.. lol She plans on taking time off from work to raise said kids for awhile, so yea, she wouldn't be making that journey forever, and when she does finally find another gig, it would be closer. For now I work M-F, 8hr shifts...but I am still on the list for Corporal, so I have about another year and some months to see if I make it on the list, in which case, I would go back to the road, (and probably on nights to gain experience). I am not too concerned about being on-call, because I can still just jump in my patrol car and go (work emergency, hostage/crisis situations, raids, etc)... We are looking at the house this Saturday.

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

My wife and I moved out of our city apartment to buy a home we could afford in a nearby small town. My commute went from 20 minutes to 45 minutes each way (an hour in the winter). I gained a two-car garage which I turned into a shop, as well as enough driveway space to comfortably park 3 cars, a flatbed trailer, and an RV which we may be getting soon, with lots of room left over for guests. I got a better job that was closer so my one-way commute dropped back to 25 minutes, but it was totally worth it.

After I get hired with a local agency, my good-weather commute will increase to 40 minutes at minimum but possibly up to an hour, and I am unlikely to get the fuel savings of a take-home car. At that point it may make sense to move depending on which agency it is and how long I plan to stay there, but you gotta pick your battles. I don't mind the commute because I enjoy driving my truck, but it does cut down on family time.

TINSTAAFL

Comment

I live 50 miles from where I work(no take home car) at home I can shoot out my back door as long as the horses are out of the way.
                    I have only ran into 1 person that I have dealt with at work (they were not the problem).
                    If I try to shop where I work way to many people know who I am, I do not care myself but it makes me worry about who is with me.
                    I will take the extra drive time any day..

Comment

We looked at the house and it was a disaster! So we won't be moving there, but we are still looking in the area and surrounding, so still looking at around 30 - 40 min commute one way.

Thanks everyone!

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

I live about an hour from work. Id never live any closer. When I was single I lived where I worked and on several occasions I had people I locked up that night show up at my house. My house was broken into 5 times in 6 months. My car keyed tires slashed. Never again will I live where I work
                        Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man.
                        -Ronald Reagan

Heroes may not be braver than anyone else. They're just braver five minutes longer.
                        -Ronald Reagan

Big Mak Attack AKA Big Mac Attack

Comment

My wife is in the military; she commutes roughly 30 minutes to work each day depending on traffic, weather, etc.
                          I am also in the military but wake up much earlier than her because my unit's SOP is much different. It takes me roughly 15 minutes because there is obviously less traffic at 4:30 AM.

We rent our house right now, it is a 3 bedroom house in a secluded neighborhood. I have three neighbors: two are in the military, and one is a civilian CID Agent. We all open carry on our property and get along well. When I leave sometime mid-2015 I'll be upset just because I enjoy my neighbors, we have good comradery.

However, my wife will be staying in the military and I will be heading south to look for work as a LEO. This will most likely make my commute time skyrocket because I won't make my wife commute longer than she already needs to. But I will endure that if that means that I'll have property. I grew up homeless and when I did have somewhere to sleep, it was in a very urban area. Having room for my dogs to run around and being able to landscape my own property is the biggest stress reliever I have.

If you're willing to make the commute, having some land is a blessing. But in the end it all boils down to personal preference.
                          Prospective.

Comment

I want to live where I can't see my neighbors, I can have a huge fire pit, and a shooting range in my yard. Looking at maybe a 45-60 min commute (in the summer) to be able to own a home where I could do those things.

I currently live about 10 mins from my FT job (wife works about 8 mins from work) and I literally make 3 turns during the whole commute. It's about 15 minutes from the police station where I'm a reserve. However, the house is in a suburban neighborhood. Can't do any of those things. But man, I love my short commute.

I'm completely torn.
                            Originally posted by RSGSRT
                            We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                            Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

I say no, but I'd prefer to be closer to work then waste the gas.
                              Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                              USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                              "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                              Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5300 users online. 268 members and 5032 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X