Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parents of Theater shooting victims sue ammo & gear sellers.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents of Theater shooting victims sue ammo & gear sellers.

See bold section. If they can indeed prove it was not a legal transaction than maybe they have a case. They don't mention how it was (supposedly) illegal to sell that stuff to him. Like most actions taken by the Brady Bunch and legal representatives, they wish it were illegal and hope by saying it in the press enough times, enough people will assume it's true. Some states like MA have banned the sale of ammo over the 'net for example (sending ammo prices up of course) but I don't think that's true of CO at the time of the shooting. Anyone know the legality of purchasing the items listed in the article being purchased via 'net/mail order on CO?

The parents of a woman killed in the Colorado theater shootings filed a lawsuit Tuesday accusing four online retailers of improperly selling ammunition, tear gas, a high-capacity magazine and body armor used in the attack.

The lawsuit alleges it was illegal and negligent to sell the gear to James Holmes, who is accused of killing 12 people and injuring 70 in the July 20, 2012, attack.

It says the companies had no safeguards to keep dangerous people from buying their goods.

"It was highly foreseeable to (the) defendants that their potential customers included persons with criminal intent, including persons such as James Holmes," the lawsuit says.

The suit was filed by Sandy and Lonnie Phillips of San Antonio, whose daughter, Jessica Ghawi (GAH'-wee), was among the dead.

"We're putting them on notice," Lonnie Phillips said at a news conference in Denver. "We're coming after you."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/t...eller-25541812
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

And I truly believed that Illinois was the land of the frivolous, nuisance lawsuit.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

"My friend was killed by a car. I'd like to sue the car dealership and manufacturer."

Comment

That's like suing Boeing because terrorists hijacked the planes on 9/11. "They should have known it was possible evil people might use them."
        Originally posted by RSGSRT
        We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
        Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

How conveniently they forget that it was James Holmes who did the shooting. I shudder to think that one day I might be implicated in a lawsuit because I somehow, albeit unknowingly, helped someone I don't even know commit a crime.
          It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

I better go check my guns and ammo to make sure they have not conspired to shoot someone without my knowledge!!!
            My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

Originally posted by chiefjack View Post
              I better go check my guns and ammo to make sure they have not conspired to shoot someone without my knowledge!!!
              chief...I just checked mine and they told me not to worry!

Companies that have items for sale like ammo, high capacity magazines, knives, military surplus gear etc., have disclaimers and restrictions in place warning the buyer that what they purchase may not be allowed in their jurisdiction. I know of one company I deal with in particular that won't sell me a fixed-blade knife with a blade of over 4" simply because of where I live. I also deal with another company that has me verify that I am in law enforcement before I will be allowed to purchase certain items. These are the companies I'm sure are being sued. We are a litigious society that will sue for anything and everything. Just look at some of the ridiculous lawsuits that have been filed by criminals and WON!

While I empathize with the awful pain and suffering a parent must endure when their child is taken away from them in such a violent and hideous way, there is no amount of money that will ever be compensation for their loss. My guess is this is just another tactic an unscrupulous individual will use to cash in on a tragedy.

Ski
              Last edited by codemanski; 09-25-2014, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Two morons reproduce and the kid is wacky. What are the odds?

Comment

I wonder what the proposed solution is? If you are buying ammo or supplies, you have to go through a background check? Well first, that would quickly be found unconstitutional. But second, ammo is pretty useless without a gun to shoot them. So wouldn't it be simpler to just require a background check when purchasing firearms?

Oh yeah....... Seems like I remember having to do just that very thing when I bought my firearms.

<smh>

What morons.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
                    "My friend was killed by a car. I'd like to sue the car dealership and manufacturer."
                    Yes but guns are "meant to kill" yada yada yada. You know that plays out in their mindset. It's easy to debunk such irrational statements but rational thought is not a strong point for the ilk.
                    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by codemanski View Post
                      chief...I just checked mine and they told me not to worry!

Ski
                      DUDE! I can just see it now, some paranoid type browsing the forums and saying "This guy's guns are talking to him - LOCK HIM UP IN THE LOONY BIN!!" All becuase people really don't get sarcasm nowadays.

Comment

Strange. I worked in a Colorado gun store for about a year 02/13-02/14. I will never forget one of my customers, a 40-ish woman who came in to buy a handgun.

She volunteered that her son was in that theater. Her son went to ground and crawled over the body of a dead little girl. He stood up and watched Holmes draw a bead on him, fire, and MISS. He got out.

She told me the reason she was buying a gun, will learn to use it, and will carry it concealed is that she has other kids. And she will not be found empty-handed should the same thing happen, again.
                        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                          Strange. I worked in a Colorado gun store for about a year 02/13-02/14. I will never forget one of my customers, a 40-ish woman who came in to buy a handgun.

She volunteered that her son was in that theater. Her son went to ground and crawled over the body of a dead little girl. He stood up and watched Holmes draw a bead on him, fire, and MISS. He got out.

She told me the reason she was buying a gun, will learn to use it, and will carry it concealed is that she has other kids. And she will not be found empty-handed should the same thing happen, again.
                          She chose a rational and logical response. Sandy and Lonnie Phillips chose an irrational and illogical response. It sounds like they want to see freedoms added to the body count.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
                            She chose a rational and logical response. Sandy and Lonnie Phillips chose an irrational and illogical response. It sounds like they want to see freedoms added to the body count.
                            You can blame someone that did something awful, but it will not explain why it was done. Do I think he is a whack job, yes. Do I believe he was aware of what he was doing and knew that it was wrong, yes. They want to blame someone they think will make a difference since blaming Holmes won't do any good and the DA is already trying to get some justice there. I am surprised that they didn't try and sue the gun manufacturer also. That may be next.

I am kinda stumped that they are going to be able to sue the movie theater. Who in their wildest dreams would have thought something like that would have happened? I guess at least one person did. Was the theater supposed to have armed guards in full body armor with AR15s and riot shields? Should the airlines that the 9/11 attackers have foreseen that something like that would have happened? Did they get sued. Should the batty old lady that put the cup of HOT friggen coffee between her legs foreseen that it might burn her if it spilled? Should McDonalds have sued her because of the problems she caused by spilling the coffee on her hoochie?

Stupidity rules the USA.
                            Last edited by IAM Rand; 09-24-2014, 11:29 AM.
                            Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

That actually would have been an interesting law suit.

The lady that sued McDonald's for the hot coffee get sued by McDonald's for the cost of labeling their things as "hot" and getting every penny (and then some) back...I'd like to see that one.
                              Originally posted by RSGSRT
                              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3809 users online. 243 members and 3566 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X