300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to protect your family during home invasion

According to "... a New York police detective and hostage negotiator for 22 years," if they do get in your house:

"Remember, treat them like royalty. On top of that, you don't want to lie to them."

The other advice, equally puzzling (read awful in my view) and leaves you at the total and complete mercy of people willing to come in your home, by force, knowing you're there. Where that wasp spray myth comes from I'm unclear, but companies like Saber Red and others do make large canisters of bear strength sprays at the very least in terms of his distance advice. Is he truly not aware of that?

And what do you think the good detective will be reaching for if someone were to kick in his door? Wasp spray? What say you LEOs of O Com to this and other advice given? What would you/do you advise? I'm guessing wasp spray (which he claims "...more powerful than police Mace" but I know of no tests done to confirm that) is not your first option you'd use nor recommend...

See:

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/201...e-invasion?d=1
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

I guess any recommendations we provide will have bias based on our own experiences and the culture of where we are located. Let me contrast the detective's recommendations with an experience I had a few weeks ago.

We responded to a civil dispute that had been ongoing. The guy requesting service was with his wife and had seen his former employee's truck pull into the driveway and then pull out and leave. He was afraid that his former employee would try to do something. He told the deputy and I that he grew up around guns but didn't have any and didn't have a reason to own any. Our response was that his current situation seemed like a pretty good reason, even if it was only a cheap shotgun!

Comment

Originally posted by SkyBehind View Post
      I guess any recommendations we provide will have bias based on our own experiences and the culture of where we are located. Let me contrast the detective's recommendations with an experience I had a few weeks ago.

We responded to a civil dispute that had been ongoing. The guy requesting service was with his wife and had seen his former employee's truck pull into the driveway and then pull out and leave. He was afraid that his former employee would try to do something. He told the deputy and I that he grew up around guns but didn't have any and didn't have a reason to own any. Our response was that his current situation seemed like a pretty good reason, even if it was only a cheap shotgun!
      Let me think. Wasp spray vs shot gun. Hmmmm.

But seriously, LE being human beings (who would have thunked eh?), they are indeed products of their own culture and bias.

I still cringe at the advice given (and from 20 + year vet of the NYPD no less), and I grew up in NYC myself in that culture.
      - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Hmm, wasp spray would certainly do a number on the eyes of an unsuspecting fool breaking in, but I don't think it would have as much of an effect as a good puff of mace or pepper spray in the face, that stuff gets to you in the eyes, nose, throat etc all together at once.
        A good .38 revolver would do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Sculptor View Post
          Hmm, wasp spray would certainly do a number on the eyes of an unsuspecting fool breaking in, but I don't think it would have as much of an effect as a good puff of mace or pepper spray in the face, that stuff gets to you in the eyes, nose, throat etc all together at once.
          A good .38 revolver would do the trick.
          No doubt, but it's an issue of rapid incapacitation of a determined person. Being there's no tests I'm aware of, that's just dangerous advice that might get you killed. Just very irresponsible in my view. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm open to others views on that issue.
          - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Another thing, wasp spray may be the detective's recommendation because in NYC you may need a license to purchase pepper spray.

Wasp spray is a poor recommendation as it may be a Federal crime to use it in a manner inconsistent with labeling. Will someone who uses it in self defense be prosecuted? Probably not... But you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sculptor View Post
              Hmm, wasp spray

Well if ya' be'in invaded by a big bug i guess dat' wud' be O.k.!

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
              No doubt, but it's an issue of rapid incapacitation of a determined person. I'm open to others views on that issue.

Here anotha' view Sire WillBrink'z...How 'bout rapid decapitation of said 2 legged varmit..

Aside wid' alligator motes, bouce'in betty'z, anti-personnel frag devices wid' trip wires, pungie stick's, dead fall'z, and other offensive and defence devices I always recommended in my gun shop, to learned customers a 18", 10 bore Ithaca road blocker, or da' 870, or 500 fer' clear'in out room'z and hallways...Unless of course ya' live in a old barn like me... Then plain ole dy-no-mite and napalm wud' be in order with da' above...

Your friend, when in need, Admiral Sully
              Last edited by asullivan; 09-14-2014, 08:06 PM. Reason: BiG buG'z!!
              Originally posted by mookster
              Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
              Originally posted by CityCopDC
              I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
              Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
              I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
              -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Keep in mind a home invasion is different than a burglary as perpetrators have a violent intent apart from the unlawful entry itself. Think crimes against a person such as robbery, assault, rape, murder, or kidnapping as compared to crimes against property.

I’ve handled more than my share of home invasions and witness the aftermath. From my experience a good number acquiesce and hope for the best, others fight as if their lives depend on it as it very well may.
                Last edited by sanitizer; 09-14-2014, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by asullivan View Post
                  Aside wid' alligator motes, bouce'in betty'z, anti-personnel frag devices wid' trip wires, pungie stick's, dead fall'z, and other offensive and defence devices I always recommended in my gun shop, to learned customers a 18", 10 bore Ithaca road blocker, or da' 870, or 500 fer' clear'in out room'z and hallways...Unless of course ya' live in a old barn like me... Then plain ole dy-no-mite and napalm wud' be in order with da' above...

Your friend, when in need, Admiral Sully
                  Does that napalm come with free shipping?

Comment

Originally posted by SkyBehind View Post

Wasp spray is a poor recommendation as it may be a Federal crime to use it in a manner inconsistent with labeling.
                    I could care less....................................If it is what is available , I will use it
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

^^^^this!^^^^
                      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                        I could care less....................................If it is what is available , I will use it
                        I'll gouge someone's eye out with my damned toothbrush if it's the most available weapon to me during the invasion. Hopefully it'll buy me enough time to get to one of my many firearms or even far more numerous lethal weapons that have other uses... Fireplace equipment, kitchen knives, blunt objects and such.

Comment

Remember, he's in NYC. Firearms permits, even for a gun kept solely in the home, aren't easy for everyone to get. Mace/ OC is similarly restricted.

Wasp spray is a nerve agent, as are most insecticides. It will seriously F you up if it gets in your eyes or a significant portion gets in your mouth or is inhaled.

Backed up by a Louisville Slugger is is likely the best ranged option your average NYC apartment dweller has.
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                            Right, I agree. Don't you think it should be a plan b as opposed to your primary means of home defense?

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                              Remember, he's in NYC. Firearms permits, even for a gun kept solely in the home, aren't easy for everyone to get. Mace/ OC is similarly restricted.

Wasp spray is a nerve agent, as are most insecticides. It will seriously F you up if it gets in your eyes or a significant portion gets in your mouth or is inhaled.

Backed up by a Louisville Slugger is is likely the best ranged option your average NYC apartment dweller has.
                              They should hand out shotguns for home defense in NYC, but I'd buy one and let the folks at the NRA or any of the other gun lobby folks pay for the attorney for SCOTUS to smack down that city if/when I need to use it. Paying for a permit to have a weapon in your home (or on your person really other than the cost of the processing of such) is similar to a poll tax.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6145 users online. 319 members and 5826 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X