Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Des Moines Register

Oh now this interesting!

Someone in another thread mentioned the Register was very anti law enforcement officer in their editorials and the like, so I read on Friday an article in the Voices & Commentary section titled:

"This is why cops are different from you"
    By Mark Breneman, former member of the Polk County Sheriffs' office for many years
    [email protected]

So this was written by a retired LEO.

Here's where it gets interesting- I went to the page on their web site to copy a paragraph and post the URL to read it and guess what, this appears there instead:
    Editor's Note: "This is why cops are different from you," an Iowa View submitted to The Register by former member of the Polk County Sheriff's Department Mark Breneman, has been pulled down for review by Register editors.

Pulled down for review??

I have the paper copy, I'm real suspicious why they took it down

duplicate by mistake
    Last edited by Sculptor; 08-31-2014, 02:13 AM.

Comment

And here in the comments a number of angry people want to know why the article was pulled:

One commentor who appears to me a relative of the author reposted the entire article in the comments section in 4-5 posts, and the comments now are up to 55 there with someone now claiming the original story was written by someone else and that the Register didn't print/attribute the "original" author even though it was submitted, sounds like a snow-job or speculation but meanwhile here's an update and a link to the full version elsewhere.

A complete copy appears in the first post made by the Admin, with a different authorship:

"This is why cops are different from you"

Answer by Justin Freeman, former patrol officer:
      Because they have different priorities than you do.

Humans, like most everything else in the universe, seek to maintain a sense of equilibrium. This is true for not just matters of physiology, but for social interactions as well. Think about the interactions you have on a daily basis. In most all of them, you enter an interaction with at least a neutral mindset and perhaps even an assumption of good will. When a person wakes up next to their partner, they don’t harbor an innate suspicion about the partner's motives. They assume that the partner is as good willed as they were when they fell asleep, and the couple's interactions proceed on this assumption.
      http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.as...OPIC_ID=623891
      Last edited by Sculptor; 08-31-2014, 12:14 PM.

Comment

NOTE that the author of the "editorial" is a former Polk County Sheriff's Deputy----------------NOT a DSM Register employee

Enough said
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          NOTE that the author of the "editorial" is a former Polk County Sheriff's Deputy----------------NOT a DSM Register employee

Enough said
          That's exactly right, the credits in the paper version said:

By Mark Breneman, former member of thePolk County Sheriffs' office for many years
          But someone at the DM Register pulled the story off their web site, and people were demanding to know why, usually it's "complaints" alleged or otherwise that cause such action. People sounded angry in the comments section and some demanded it be put back up, that was when Jerry Breneman posted the entire story in the comments section.
          Readers may never get the real answer as to why it was pulled.

Comment

It was pulled because the editors thought that if people read the article, they would fear the militarization of the press.
            I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Sculptor View Post
              Readers may never get the real answer as to why it was pulled.
              It was pulled because it didn't fit with the politics of the DM Resgister..................

Nothing suspicious about that
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6908 users online. 363 members and 6545 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X