300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it rains it pours as they say...

Yesterday I had to say goodbye to one of my dogs I had for 14 years, he was fine and then couldn't stand up or walk, he had been eating less and less this summer and losing weight, and getting wonkier in the rear but he was doing okay and then just went downhill rapidly.
    I called my vet's clinic and got the unexpected bad news that the one vet was out of town till Monday, just great... my regular vet is around 90 years old now doesn't know how to run the crematory and their cooler is full. So they told me another vet who they use on-call had a 2:30 appointment at their clinic and he could come out to do the procedure around 3 PM and could do the cremation for me, I had to leave work and wait a while for him to arrive.
    So that was done without any issues and I went back to work, then come home and started wondering why one of my email addresses doesn't log in any more, so I checked out the cause and discovered my entire web site was showing as "suspended, contact customer service"
    Just great since the site/domain handle most of my emails, all of my photo hosting for my Ebay pages, my client mailing list/newsletter, blog and more and everything was broken.

So I log into the client area and read how they decided after 15 years of hosting to call it quits, please backup your files immediately Aug 31 is the last day, but my site was down July 31, waiting anxious hours for them to respond to my ticket I discovered I didn't have a full site backup any newer than 2010 and there's been a LOT of changes since!
    I also found Google and archive.org only had spotty cached copies of some of the pages- individual pages and archive.org adds their own menu and header codes to the html that would all have to be stripped out.
    It wasn't looking very viable to rebuild the site from memory and some cached pages saved one by one!

They eventually replied to the ticket and said I'd have to pay $29 to reactivate and bla bla bla, so I did and it was restored so I could get full backups.
    I spent the better part of today moving to a new host and fixing everything, new host means the home directory path changes, so databases and links no longer work right because the path/url is wrong.
    What a pain in the arse!

I'm sorry for the loss or your dog.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your doggie.

Comment

Sorry for your loss. Your dog was lucky to have you in his life.
        "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

I don't know how many people know it, but ArmyVet knows all about doggies. Among other things she's also a Veterinarian.

I remembered that correctly, right AV?

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaPeel View Post
            I don't know how many people know it, but ArmyVet knows all about doggies. Among other things she's also a Veterinarian.

I remembered that correctly, right AV?

Thank you everyone for your kind words, it's so different without him, in 14 years we only spent one night apart. He was a Groendael (Belgian Sheepdog)

If ArmyVet is a veterinarian that's pretty cool! I lost a 3-1/2 year old dog in December to a very wierd malady I never heard of in my 40 years of owning dogs- Fibrocartilagenous embolism, in humans it would be similar to a blood clot/stroke, some disk material gets into a blood vessel in the spine and blocks it which causes tissue/nerve death, in this case my dog's back half became paralized. An MRI is what it took to diagnose it and he was the 1 in 3 who don't improve

Comment

Wow that dog is beautiful. Sorry for your loss.

Comment

Sorry for your loss

Last February (2013) we lost 2 dogs pretty much back to back. One we had had for 13 yr and one we had for 3 1/2. Both illnesses were quick and made their quality of life so bad (with no real possibility of recovery) we chose to end their suffering.

It was a rough month.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thank you Iowa, sorry to hear of your two, I had a similar month in the summer of 2000 with a 13 year old and a 10 year old St Bernards, they both went downhill the same month, shortly after that was when I bought my Belgian as an older puppy.
                  Rough times.
                  I must have have 40 or more well wisher emails from folks on the Belgian mailing list, there's a lot of support out there in various online and offline communities.

Comment

Sorry for your loss, I lost one to cancer.

Trying to decide if I should adopt a mature dog from a local animal shelter or go with a pup.

Comment

Originally posted by sanitizer View Post

Trying to decide if I should adopt a mature dog from a local animal shelter or go with a pup.
                      I am going to make a case for an older rescue dog..........................................

MOST of the time a dog that has been in a shelter really shows it's new owner the true meaning of love and trust.------Rescue dogs are something special..........
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by sanitizer View Post

Thank you sanitizer, I am sorry to read that too- cancer in dogs is pretty common, it seems Golden Retrievers have a high rate of it and that breed tends to be very popular as a family pet.

I posted earlier on one of my dog mailing lists about cancer risks since it's been a recent ongoing topic, this will be a long read but an important one for both dogs and people- I'll post that in a new thread.

As far as where you should get a new dog from it's entirely a personal choice, I can tell you I have had everything from a 6-1/2 week old puppy to being given adult (2-5 years of age) dogs and an elderly dog by the breeder I bought a puppy from years earlier- the elderly dog (St Bernard) was the 10 year old mother to a dog I bought as a puppy who died age 3-1/2 of stomach torsion (AKA "Bloat) she lived on to be a little over 13 years old so had 3 good years from her, the 5 year old was a former show dog and I used to show him on occasion, he lived to be over 13 as well, so he had 8 good years in him.
                        I have had no issues either integrating an adult into a household with existing dogs, or with having a puppy, but with puppies if people are out at work all day it's difficult unless you make use of and learn to use a wire, or plastic airline kennel for puppy to stay in while you are away at work.
                        I don't like having outdoor dogs and never had that situation, outdoor dogs are subjected to extremes of temperatures, constantly tormented by flies, gnats, mosquitos and more. Indoor dogs can be a chore to train and you WILL have things damaged during the process but they do learn fast and usually by 4-5 months of age they are housebroken.

I always strongly suggest people make use of one of the airline kennels, if they are fed in there with the door open they learn it's a safe comfortable place and after a while they will go in to nap on their own- the kennel is perfect for training during housebreaking, teething phase, and untill they prove they have no inclination to chew furniture legs etc.

Comment

Sorry for the loss of your pooch.

If you are looking for new webhosting I highly recommend NFO Servers (http://www.nfoservers.com/). I have used them for websites, unmanaged dedicated/virtual dedicated servers, TeamSpeak, and managed video game servers for about two years now. The servers are fast, their network is super stable, they are very fast at mitigating DDoS attacks, support is very responsive (I've normally gotten a response of some sort within 5 minutes), and they have been around since like 2001 with no signs of closing down anytime soon. Hell, they even have a public forum. Few webhosting/server companies have a public forum because it is just a troll mine.

I have tried GoDaddy and a few other places in the past, and would not recommend them to my worst enemy. NFO Servers is fantastic.
                          “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

Sorry for your loss. I have two furry companions that are starting to get up there age wise. Dogs just don't live long enough, seems like a cruel joke on mankind.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your pup, Sculptor. We lost our rattie back towards the end of winter. We'd had him 13 years. He was a rescue and the vet said he was 3-6 years old when we got him. He had discs degenerate in his back and really bad cataracts. He used to go out at night and fall in the cactus and come in looking like a porkypine. He went walkabout one night and I found him the next evening. :-(
                              Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
                              Among Texas' finest
                              Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
                              Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
                              Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3100 users online. 202 members and 2898 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X