300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old School

I was just reading a thread where AJ used one of my favorite words: Old School. Which is not the same as old fashioned for you yungins reading this.

While he was describing the specifics of something he considered old school, nostalgia started to pour in, and it elicited a nice physical reaction.

Got any good examples of being old school you wanna share?

One of mine is something I grew up with about riding in a car. My parents always made younger people sit in the back and older people sit up front out of deference to age. I never see anyone else observe this, but I still instinctively do it.

What are some of yours?

I refuse to use GPS devices. I will only use a street directory.

Comment

Since I'm a senior citizen, I still will hold a door open for a woman, I will always let a older woman go in front of me in a store... Thats what my momma taught me decades ago..Having grown up in the 50's and early 60's the majority of people today wouldn't be able to comprehend the things we didn't have but lived just fine....
      Retired LASD

Comment

Wooden PR-24!
        MAC

Comment

Originally posted by Mulgrave600 View Post
          I refuse to use GPS devices. I will only use a street directory.
          I'm the same way, Mulgrave. When I was in the Air Force, the very first school they sent me to required a really good grasp of maps and I really enjoyed learning and then using them. I want to make sure none of those skills slip by getting too comfy with GPS. I like the challenge of trouble shooting without it.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
            Since I'm a senior citizen, I still will hold a door open for a woman, I will always let a older woman go in front of me in a store... Thats what my momma taught me decades ago..Having grown up in the 50's and early 60's the majority of people today wouldn't be able to comprehend the things we didn't have but lived just fine....
            Ain't that the truth. In fact there's such a tranquility that comes with simplicity.

Comment

Originally posted by mac266 View Post
              Wooden PR-24!
              Wooden? You got a picture of that?

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaPeel View Post
                No, those are from before cameras were invented.
                Actually, look up the tonfa, a rice flail. Another example of an everyday tool adapted into a martial arts weapon, because the shoguns wouldn't let the commoners have swords, or some dang thang.

Anyway, much as I like GPS devices for some applications, I've never heard of a map causing someone to make a wrong turn and drive down a railroad track. There's an old joke about someone mistaking a state line for a road on a map, but I don't know of it actually happening.

Most of us over a certain age probably do a lot of "old school" things and don't even realize it. Gotta remember that "we've always done it that way" can be a trap, but I tend to believe in "if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it."
                --
                Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

There is a Melbourne street directory that has been made by a company for about 60 years and they have a near monopoly in sales. Our CAD system gives map references according to this street directory so I can instantly open it to the relevant page and plot my route when I need to. The GPS is way too fiddly and doesn't keep up with the car. I prefer local knowledge any day. It's also more up to date than the GPS units we have.

Comment

Lets see,,, old school in patrol 40 years ago, no computers in patrol cars, not invented yet,,,, no cell phones, not invented yet, no tazers, not invented yet, no OC spray,,, used CN OR CS tear gas. Automatic weapons in patrol vehicles,,,, unheard of...Auto loader handguns,,, everyone carried a 6 shooter.. GPS systems to find your call,,,, not invented yet....But we did the job just fine and took crooks to jail...
                    Retired LASD

Comment

C:/>

(random words to meet character count requirement)

Comment

Originally posted by Shush View Post
                        C:/>

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! My first computer was a 286 with DOS 4.0. Good times. There is now more capability in my wristwatch, which is analogue
                        MAC

Comment

The one I carry is polycarbonate, so not quite as old as the wooden ones. That said, all the rookies are now getting expandable straight batons, but I still have the PR-24. It's so much more versatile (but requires a LOT more training and practice) than the straight batons.

But, I also have a TASER
                          MAC

Comment

Emma when you say “Old School” it brings back long forgotten memories of working mids slowly patrolling commercial areas on hot summer nights ( before A/C) with car windows down listening for glass breakage and other unusual sounds and watching for suspicious activity, occasionally catching a burglary or other crime in progress unlike more recent memories as a Patrol Sergeant locating a probationary officer who failed to respond to a field roll call sitting parked behind a strip mall in an air conditioned unit with radio turned down sipping a SB’s Iced Caffè Americano while watching Netflix on a iphone oblivious to surroundings.
                            Last edited by sanitizer; 07-24-2014, 11:36 PM.

Comment

I was just reading a thread where AJ used one of my favorite words: Old School. Which is not the same as old fashioned for you yungins reading this.

Yea gud ole Alfa Jackoff... errrrrrr,,, iz mean My Dear,dear 'gud drinK'in buddy and comrade at armr'z, Officer AJ....

While he was describing the specifics of something he considered old school, nostalgia started to pour in.

no-sTa-i-whatada???? Ohhhh whatever,,,,, whatereva' pours in or outta' ya' Emma my dear tiz' like honey frOm heaven abOve!!

and it elicited a nice physical reaction.

Moe' 'dan me????
                              Moe' dan me in ma' barn?????, wid' den unusEd bale'z O' love vodoo laced hay I ask thee????

Ohhhh ma' break'in heart'z!!!!! Ohhh da' pain'z O' it tall'z!!!!

Got any good examples of being old school you wanna share?

Neva' wEnt'z... ma' space cowbOdy pappy, put ma' in da' War...

Until we landed or bumbed inta' dis' gawd awfull'z dirt ball..

but I still instinctively do it.

I knOw'z dump'in, yaz' still in-stinc-ti-ve-ly dOe'z "it"z...

What are some of yours?

What twaz' we blabb'ins 'bout ma' love birdie?????

I ferget'z....

Oh neva' mind'z... we meet down at da' O.COM Love pOnd'z, same time same place..
                              Originally posted by mookster
                              Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                              Originally posted by CityCopDC
                              I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                              Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                              I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                              -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6442 users online. 366 members and 6076 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X