Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any scale model/HO/Miniature enthusiasts/makers?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any scale model/HO/Miniature enthusiasts/makers?

deleted post
    Last edited by Sculptor; 02-09-2015, 07:39 AM.

Excellent detail. Except for the plywood top and bottom, I might have thought I was looking at a 1:1 scene. Would have been at least a "double take," trying to figure out what it was. Is the light fixture wired/illuminated?
    --
    Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

deleted post
      Last edited by Sculptor; 02-09-2015, 07:40 AM.

Comment

deleted post

Comment

Whoa whoa, that last picture is a model? Dang thats impressive!
          "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

The only thing I build id model trucks.
            There are certain crimes that are simply too cruel, too sadistic, too hideous to be forgiven.”
            ― John E. Douglas, Journey Into Darkness.

6 Things you don't mess with.
            MY FAITH

MY FAMILY

MY FLAG

MY COUNTRY

MY HONOR AND THE THIN BLUE LINE

Comment

Originally posted by lpstopper View Post
              Whoa whoa, that last picture is a model? Dang thats impressive!
              Yeah it's amazing isn't it!

It was designed by a Mrs Thorne along with about 70 others in the 1920s-1930s, Thorne was very well to do and she could afford trips to Europe to buy antique miniature furniture and furnishings, then she designed a room box for specific furniture based on a real room/theme. She hired the best skilled craftsmen to build the rooms for her, and others to carve miniature furniture based on sketches and real furniture found in museums and so forth.

So she had the money to buy the best materials, workmanship and skilled artists and carvers, the plaster decoration and ceilings in some of them were all made by hand. A google image search for "thorne rooms" will pull up scads of photos of them. They are housed at the Art Institute in Chicago and built into the walls there, since they all have frame and glass fronts on them they have a very cool effect of looking like realistic 3D oil paintings at first glance.

Comment

Originally posted by steve354 View Post
                Those are cool Steve, I don't think I remember seeing truck models before, I do remember car models as a kid that you had to put together and paint but I never really got into those.
                Have any finished models to share?

I have a friend in Oregon who is a retired deputy sheriff, he was always into model railroading, so he has a large HO scale layout that takes up 2 sidebyside mobile homes he moved onto his property!
                I never really got taken in by the railroads per sei but I found the scale model buildings very cool, so a couple of years ago I bought a couple of "O" scale buildings to look at and thinking baout possibly coming out with some sculptures or models to sell, but while the detail was fantastic, I found the quality was poor- thin plastic, paper roofs, they really were just made for nothing more than scenery.

I think I found a nitch with these 1:12 scale rooms, this is about as small a scale as I'd ever want to go, HO and even O scale railroads are just too small.

Comment

Scupltor, you have way to much time on your hands, my friend.

I'd never have the patience to do something like that! I was sorta into HO trains when I was in high school. I still have the trains somewhere buried in the storage unit. The powered engines still worked last time I had them out (about 17 years ago), but the track was too oxidized to carry a current.
                  Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
                  Among Texas' finest
                  Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
                  Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
                  Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

Yeah chapwolfe!
                    It does take a lot of patience, but this is not something I can work on for hours at a time, I work on it in small blocks of time, I think I started it in late May.
                    I never really got into the HO trains very deeply, they are nice but after they go around the same track a few dozen times there's not much left to do with them, I think a lot of the attraction is in the designing and building of the layout itself. My deputy friend has been building his layout for more than 20 years, I helped him work on it a bit and helped set up his first mobile home on a concrete pad when he began putting his layout in there as a permanent build.
                    Since I left Oregon 16 years ago he added a second mobile home alongside the first and took part of the wall out between them to enlarge his layout!

Comment

Originally posted by steve354 View Post
                      Steve, I couldn't enlarge your images, but I'm guessing that's a Revell on the left and a Monogram on the right. Man, those companies have been around for decades. One other brand that was big years ago was AMT; dunno if they're still in business. I think they came out with models of some of George Barris' creations, and I built more than a few of those 1/25th scale kits when I was a teen. (I watched American Pickers the other night, and Frank and Mike paid a visit to George's shop. Way cool, man. )

Talking about the fine detail, I saw a cartoon in one of the model railroad magazines with two guys wearing those striped engineer caps, and one of them has eyes like saucers. The other guy is asking, "So, have you noticed any problems with doing the details in Z scale?" (Z scale is 1:220, or 1.385 mm to the foot. "Standard gauge" [1:1] track in the US is 56½" between the rails, and in Z that's represented by 6.5 mm, or 0.256".) I think I'll stick with HO, 1/87th.
                      --

Comment

For some reason now Steves two attached images are not displaying properly, but I looked at them earlier and the one on the left is a Revell for sure.
                        Z scale I remember- the smallest! I seem to remember seeing a photo of something like a layout for Z scale in an atache' or folding case.

I had a couple of cars in the N scale, way too small for my likes, you would need magnifying glasses and tweezers to do much with building or working on either.
                        I did like the O scale I have seen, nice big size but pretty pricey.

I do have 3 or 4 old HO scale cars, and a couple of NYC subway cars, I was thinking of making a platform station cut-away display with the subway cars.
                        Last edited by Sculptor; 07-20-2014, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sculptor View Post
                          I had a couple of cars in the N scale, way too small for my likes, you would need magnifying glasses and tweezers to do much with building or working on either.
                          I might still have some N scale (1/160th) stuff in my collection. Twenty-something years ago I was in a small apartment, and wanted something I could set up there, but it never quite happened.
                          Now I've got a full basement under this house, but only a short length of benchwork built. Gotta declutter the basement and get back to work. There's a club not too far from here that has their layout inside a replica of a Maine Central freight house, but I got "sidetracked" by all that other stuff that life throws at you, and I haven't been over there in years.
                          Another group in the Lewiston/Auburn area does modules. The members all build their modules to the same standard, multiples of 4' long I think, with a two-track mainline. I believe the club owns four corner modules for connecting two or more members' modules together. They have made some honkin' big ovals out of modules at various shows. It's funny to see a winter scene in the middle of all of it, but if that's what somebody builds for a module, that's what you get.
                          I just read that in '93, they combined with two other clubs in Maine and built a huge layout with over 130 modules.
                          They're a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, and do a lot to help Maine Operation Lifesaver.

I did like the O scale I have seen, nice big size but pretty pricey.
                          There was a guy in the San Antonio area, an architect, who designed a special building for his huge O scale layout. It had no windows, and was heavily insulated. The contractor who built it asked him if he was planning to hang slabs of beef inside it.

I do have 3 or 4 old HO scale cars, and a couple of NYC subway cars, I was thinking of making a platform station cut-away display with the subway cars.
                          I bet you could build a 4' module (I think 2'x4' is the minimum) with some kind of Amtrak/commuter transfer on it. Amtrak-to-subway might not be "prototypical," but you could probably cobble something up with the Amtrak on the mainline side, and the commuter operation on the other. Then if you found a group in your area using the same module standards, you could patch it in with them sometime.
                          --

Comment

deleted post

Comment

Originally posted by RR_Security View Post
                              Steve, I couldn't enlarge your images, but I'm guessing that's a Revell on the left and a Monogram on the right. Man, those companies have been around for decades. One other brand that was big years ago was AMT; dunno if they're still in business. I think they came out with models of some of George Barris' creations, and I built more than a few of those 1/25th scale kits when I was a teen. (I watched American Pickers the other night, and Frank and Mike paid a visit to George's shop. Way cool, man. )

Talking about the fine detail, I saw a cartoon in one of the model railroad magazines with two guys wearing those striped engineer caps, and one of them has eyes like saucers. The other guy is asking, "So, have you noticed any problems with doing the details in Z scale?" (Z scale is 1:220, or 1.385 mm to the foot. "Standard gauge" [1:1] track in the US is 56½" between the rails, and in Z that's represented by 6.5 mm, or 0.256".) I think I'll stick with HO, 1/87th.
                              Yes the blue one is Revell 1/25 it's Kenworth W900 I just it the other week from walmart. The other one is a morogram 1/16 Same truck as the blue one. When build it's 20'' long and 11'' high. There three of them i use to have all three with trailers on them making 4.5 foot long.

The Z scale I have never heard of it ... Thous rooms you made are great detail ...
                              There are certain crimes that are simply too cruel, too sadistic, too hideous to be forgiven.”
                              ― John E. Douglas, Journey Into Darkness.

6 Things you don't mess with.
                              MY FAITH

MY FAMILY

MY FLAG

MY COUNTRY

MY HONOR AND THE THIN BLUE LINE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4303 users online. 214 members and 4089 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X