300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Air Force

This feels a bit weird. I am a formerly active Marine. My dad (and several on his side of the family) were AF, although we were never close. I know very little about his time in the AF other than he was in Korea during the war, and helped save a bunch of men from a plane that crashed into a frozen river on take-off. He was an aircraft mechanic and did tech school (back then it was called something else) at Sheppard after basic.

My oldest step-son joined the Marines like me. Jarheads I can relate too.

My youngest son left yesterday for Lackland. After basic, he goes to -- Sheppard, for tech school in -- Aircraft Mechanics. Weird circle of life, it is.

I miss him already. This is probably one of the hardest things I've had to go through. I am having to adjust to him being gone with no contact for a while, plus having to get used to having a flyboy in the family. It feels weird.

Just rambling because I miss my boy. That is all.

Originally posted by Shush View Post
    This feels a bit weird. I am a formerly active Marine. My dad (and several on his side of the family) were AF, although we were never close. I know very little about his time in the AF other than he was in Korea during the war, and helped save a bunch of men from a plane that crashed into a frozen river on take-off. He was an aircraft mechanic and did tech school (back then it was called something else) at Sheppard after basic.

My youngest son left yesterday for Lackland. After basic, he goes to -- Sheppard, for tech school in -- Aircraft Mechanics. Weird circle of life, it is.

I miss him already. This is probably one of the hardest things I've had to go through. I am having to adjust to him being gone with no contact for a while, plus having to get used to having a flyboy in the family. It feels weird.

My little brother just finished BMT. He's in tech school down there as well then off to Germany (talk about a nice first assignment). They put on a great ceremony/family day for 2 or 3 days for graduation down there and you'll have a good time. Congrats to your son and you always have O.com to keep you company in the mean time haha!
    sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
    DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

I want to thank you and your family for your service
      Last edited by BNWS; 06-12-2014, 12:59 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Well, Shush....if you'd had the good sense to join my service instead of being a jarhead, you'd be looking at the world in a totally different way. You'd be happy all the time (like the song) and you'd have spent most of your time in air conditioning. And your happy, cooled-off a** would be smiling from ear-to-ear about your fly-boy son!

I KID, I KID. Got that sarcasm from all the jarheads I've worked with.

Honestly though, I'm sure it is an adjustment when the youngest son goes off to the military. If this helps at all, he's probably having a ball. I can't believe I was paid for ten years to have such a great time. The AF is more challenging with the head games then the physical stuff, and that's always fun no matter the outcome. I'm sure he'll have good stories to start reporting back to you soon.

Hang in there.

Comment

I want to thank you and your family for your service
          You are quite welcome. I will say that for the men in my family - we all joined the military for the same reason. Much the same reason as people get in to law enforcement.

Honestly though, I'm sure it is an adjustment when the youngest son goes off to the military.
          Yeah, and I am being such a girl about it! LOL. I've probably lost like 10 man points in the last 24 hours...
          Last edited by Shush; 06-12-2014, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Yeah, and I am being such a girl about it! LOL. I've probably lost like 10 man points in the last 24 hours...
            Nah; the AF is always "looking for (a few) good men," too, and you raised one for them. I think that contributes to your man points balance.

Your son and the AF will both benefit from his Marine genes.

--
            416th_sps2.gif509th_sps.gif
            --
            Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

Not in the least! Just the opposite. Now wearing pink shirts is a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by RR_Security View Post
                Nah; the AF is always "looking for (a few) good men," too, and you raised one for them. I think that contributes to your man points balance.

Your son and the AF will both benefit from his Marine genes.

--
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]11670[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11671[/ATTACH]
                Yeah, RR's right. Can't argue that.

Comment

I am an Air Force vet too. 9 years as a Security Forces member. Did Germany as my first assignment, followed by Charleston AFB, SC.
                  Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                  USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                  "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                  Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaPeel View Post
                    Yeah, RR's right. Can't argue that.
                    Yeah but it's really making me have to rethink EVERYTHING. I mean.. my SON -- a flyboy!!! that's almost as bad if he told he was .......

I don't even think I can say it.......

It's like he told me he was.........

you know.....

ummmmm......

a democrat

(snicker)

Comment

Yeah but it's really making me have to rethink EVERYTHING. I mean.. my SON -- a flyboy!!! that's almost as bad if he told he was .......

I don't even think I can say it.......

It's like he told me he was.........

you know.....

ummmmm......

a democrat

(snicker)
                      Yeah, yeah, yeah.....he's probably a damn GOOD flyboy at that.

Comment

Well coming from an Army family the only words I can offer as comfort is....

At least he didn't join the Navy!

Comment

Originally posted by Miller11x View Post
                          Well coming from an Army family the only words I can offer as comfort is....

At least he didn't join the Navy!
                          And as I said, being a former active Marine -- that would have been equivalent to him telling me he caught the gay...

Comment

Some of the hottest women I have ever hooked up with were Air Force and Marines.
                            September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

I'm a proud Air Force dad,, my son is a pilot and he loves the Air Force. He is a Lt. Col and is about 5-6 years from retirement....
                              Retired LASD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3967 users online. 229 members and 3738 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X