300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoiled kid turned bad.

When are people going to realize that spoiling their kids and handing them the world on a silver platter doesn't do the kid any good in the long run. I've actually seen 5 year old's running around with iPads and other expensive "toys" that I couldn't even afford for myself, if I wanted it. If the economy is so bad, where the hell are they getting the money to buy stuff like this for their kids? Or have time and money to wait in long lines the night before an expensive new game hits the market? Now you got this rich kid who goes on a killing spree because money couldn't buy him a girlfriend?

I think most if not all of these shooters are coming from permissive households. I think we are seeing the outcome of spoiled kids growing up and having even worse spoiled kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Popps View Post
      When are people going to realize that spoiling their kids and handing them the world on a silver platter doesn't do the kid any good in the long run. I've actually seen 5 year old's running around with iPads and other expensive "toys" that I couldn't even afford for myself, if I wanted it. If the economy is so bad, where the hell are they getting the money to buy stuff like this for their kids? Or have time and money to wait in long lines the night before an expensive new game hits the market? Now you got this rich kid who goes on a killing spree because money couldn't buy him a girlfriend?
      So you think that Rogers did the killings because he was a "spoiled rich kid"? How do you knw he was a spoiled rich kid?
      Retired

Comment

Hmmm we need PhilipCal, Iowa 1603 and Sgt Jon to chime in on this. All three have posted at length as to what this kind of coddling can lead to......
        It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by PtownVAMike View Post
          Hmmm we need PhilipCal, Iowa 1603 and Sgt Jon to chime in on this. All three have posted at length as to what this kind of coddling can lead to......

Very true Mike, but I at least, was dealing in generalities unless a specific poster was involved. In the case the forum has been discussing (Santa Barbara shootings) I only know what I have read and heard, and I'm not prepared yet to argue that this particular subject was the recipient of the type of coddling we've discussed.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
            Very true Mike, but I at least, was dealing in generalities unless a specific poster was involved. In the case the forum has been discussing (Santa Barbara shootings) I only know what I have read and heard, and I'm not prepared yet to argue that this particular subject was the recipient of the type of coddling we've discussed.
            Understood, point taken.
            It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Giving to your kids without teaching and setting a good example for your kids is what tends to lead to problems in their teen/young adult years. Teaching your child respect in the informative years is a must! Kids need to know there are consequences for their bad behavior and rewards for their good behavior.
              Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Originally posted by Popps View Post
                who goes on a killing spree because money couldn't buy him a girlfriend?
                He went on a killing spree because he was crazier than a loon. The words coming out of his mouth are almost irrelevant.

He was crazy. End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by Code6Chuck View Post
                  He went on a killing spree because he was crazier than a loon. The words coming out of his mouth are almost irrelevant.

I am going to agree with Chuck.

It doesn't matter if he was a coddled punk or not.

He was a crazy punk. His manifesto and video was sickening.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I think we can really call him a sick f&*k. He knew exactly what he was doing and he was evil. Being spoiled does not lead to mass murder. Mental illness is massive, but does not exclude responsibility. He was a sociopath.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush817 View Post
                      Giving to your kids without teaching and setting a good example for your kids is what tends to lead to problems in their teen/young adult years. Teaching your child respect in the informative years is a must! Kids need to know there are consequences for their bad behavior and rewards for their good behavior.
                      I think this is a really good point. I definitely don't think that you must DEPRIVE your kids in order to raise them into responsible adults. I think the problems start when you try to buy their affection, and when they never hear the word "no." Even so, that alone isn't enough to account for a mass murder. But perhaps parenting could have prevented one.

Comment

Originally posted by allen_gamble View Post
                        I think this is a really good point. I definitely don't think that you must DEPRIVE your kids in order to raise them into responsible adults. I think the problems start when you try to buy their affection, and when they never hear the word "no." Even so, that alone isn't enough to account for a mass murder. But perhaps parenting could have prevented one.
                        I "sort of" agree with this. No one says you should deprive your kids of anything. As a matter of fact, those kids that are "deprived" probably had parents who wish they could have given them the world, but couldn't afford to. But for those that can afford to, they also need to let their children know that them having these things is a privlege. They should also "earn" them, by doing chores or getting good grades. It should not just be handed to them on a silver platter. Kids like this one don't have the opportunity to learn their self-worth. They are given expensive toys and are expected to be entertained by them.

Comment

I couldn't even imagine how easy it would have been to pick up several different girls a week living in LA and being the son of a Hollywood director. Something was really wrong with this weirdo freak.

Comment

Originally posted by Code6Chuck View Post

He planned (for more than a year) and went on a killing spree because he was a psychopath. Just calling him "crazy" doesn't do anything towards recognizing these people or the danger they present. I'd strongly recommend reading "Columbine" by Dave Cullen and notie the distinctly different personalities present with the two shooters involved in that incident. Without the lead of the psychopath (Harris), the other (Kliebold) probably would have only killed himself.

http://www.davecullen.com/columbine.htm
                            Last edited by pulicords; 05-27-2014, 10:31 AM.
                            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                              He planned (for more than a year) and went on a killing spree because he was a psychopath. Just calling him "crazy" doesn't do anything towards recognizing these people or the danger they present. I'd strongly recommend reading "Columbine" by Dave Cullen and notie the distinctly different personalities present with the two shooters involved in that incident. Without the lead of the psychopath (Harris), the other (Kliebold) probably would have only killed himself.

http://www.davecullen.com/columbine.htm
                              I say "crazy" because it's a simple way of describing someone with a complex mental problem.

All I'm saying is that the premise of this thread, that this kid was spoiled and had the world handed to him on a silver platter, and that somehow led to mass murder, is borderline asinine. There are literally millions of spoiled kids out there who might be major league Adam Henrys but don't go out killing people.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4309 users online. 281 members and 4028 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X