X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia

Australia
    Country
    Australia, officially the Commonwealth of Australia, is a country comprising the mainland of the Australian continent, the island of Tasmania, and numerous smaller islands. It is the world's sixth-largest country by total area. Wikipedia
    Capital: Canberra
    Dialing code: +61
    Population: 22.68 million (2012) World Bank
    Gross domestic product: 1.521 trillion USD (2012) World Bank
    Government: Federal monarchy, Constitutional monarchy, Parliamentary system

Canberra
    Capital of Australia
    Canberra is the capital city of Australia. With a population of 381,488, it is Australia's largest inland city and the eighth-largest city overall. Wikipedia
    Founded: 1913
    Area: 314.4 sq miles (814.2 km²)
    Weather: 65°F (18°C), Wind NW at 7 mph (11 km/h), 59% Humidity
    Local time: Thursday 2:34 PM
    Population: 358,222 (2010) UNdata

things to do:; Well you have to go and watch a game of AFL ''football" I would also say that you visted Canberra here's link for you. http://www.visitcanberra.com.au/
    There are certain crimes that are simply too cruel, too sadistic, too hideous to be forgiven.”
    ― John E. Douglas, Journey Into Darkness.

6 Things you don't mess with.
    MY FAITH

MY FAMILY

MY FLAG

MY COUNTRY

MY HONOR AND THE THIN BLUE LINE

If I understand correctly, yours is the real football, and the quotation marks belong around our version of football. I'm fanatic about ours, and know zilch about what we call soccer, but yours was here first and we're outnumbered by I think the entire rest of the planet as to which sport we mean when we mention football.

That weather 65 F, first, which season is that, and how hot is it for how much of the year? Second, I thought you used metric/Celsius over there? Obviously not the 65 in your post , of course, that'd be, what, 150 or so Fahrenheit?
    Last edited by MargeGunderson; 05-15-2014, 01:42 AM.
    "Snort-laughter is the best medicine"
    ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

Comment

I'm guessing the 65 F (18 C) is for today (Autumn). We use Celsius, although Google would have converted it since Steve's in the U.S.

In my state, the weather fluctuates quite a lot, but it it's generally pretty mild most of the year. The past few weeks it's been anywhere from -1 in the morning up until 20/21 in the day. Summer is generally 25 to 30 C plus or above (It was late 40's for around a week straight this year). Winter gets down to around -4 at the worst and averages out around 10 to 12 C.

Comment

23c here in my part of sunny Australia on an autumns day and I got sunburnt yesterday... Idiot I am.

Aussie rules football is great, but it's not the 'original' football any more than American football is.

Soccer is much more original. As a Brit I have to say that. Although i do prefer Aussie rules by a long way! Don't tell my family...

Comment

I've only seen a couple of rugby matches, but could easily get hooked if there was a lot more to see over here. The only reason I find soccer boring is that I don't understand it well enough to watch a play unfold and appreciate each guy's assignment.

Football, I can yell at them for calling the wrong play, recognize a great pass rush or missed block; soccer all I see is them running up and down the field. It's not even the low scoring; I love defense, it's not understanding the plays.
          ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by SACOP View Post
            23c here in my part of sunny Australia on an autumns day and I got sunburnt yesterday... Idiot I am.
            Still fueling up on my caffeine here, is that about 74-75 F? I can't stand heat; I'd be happy it if was 40 F (about four or five Celsius) year round, that's T-shirt weather.
            ----- Mussel Bound

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for the info, I'm planning a family trip around Capt. K's graduation. I had planned to surprise Capt. K with my trustworthy .38 colt detective special that’s been a faithful companion for over 3 decades and has been present during events that shaped American history and mentioned in the national archives.

Unfortunately it’s not going to happen as it was recently brought to my attention that academy graduation gifts from Americans are against policy and tradition, plus the fact I can sell it for $300 to a dealer I found on Craig’s list.

Steve I sent you a PM yesterday…

Comment

Now you tell me about the no American gifts policy! What am I supposed to do with this fully loaded Lamborghini with CoptainK personalized plates?
                ----- Mussel Bound

Comment

Gifts after the official grad ceremony are the way to go!

It's also cold enough for my liking. The wind at the moment is bad enough for wearing jumper and jacket!

Comment

Conducting a joint investigation Marge and I identified Capt. K:

Comment

Originally posted by MargeGunderson View Post
                      Now you tell me about the no American gifts policy! What am I supposed to do with this fully loaded Lamborghini with CoptainK personalized plates?
                      Tooooooooooo late...

Comment

Well, he might as well keep it now, the steering wheel is on the other side.
                        ----- Mussel Bound

Comment

He actually has good officer presence there, looks more in authority than the other officers on scene.
                          ----- Mussel Bound

Comment

Originally posted by sanitizer View Post
                            Tooooooooooo late...
                            Appreciate the thought, but I'd rather one of these.

You'll have to swap the Chevrolet badge though

Comment

Originally posted by MargeGunderson View Post
                              Still fueling up on my caffeine here, is that about 74-75 F? I can't stand heat; I'd be happy it if was 40 F (about four or five Celsius) year round, that's T-shirt weather.

You'd love Western Australia.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4717 users online. 323 members and 4394 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X