300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leslie Nielsen movies

Sometimes I like watching the old Leslie Nielsen movies, like "Airplane!" and "Naked Gun". He was really funny as hell! I wish they could come up with some more of this type of slapstick movie comedies!

(Oops, meant to post this in the "movie and TV section".)
    Last edited by Popps; 05-14-2014, 02:36 AM.

It's funny, but the other night I was channel-surfing and ran across a Western flick on AMC or maybe TCM. I recognized Glenn Ford and eventually figured out that Nielsen was playing the bad guy in it. It turned out to be The Sheepman, which Wikipedia calls "tongue-in-cheek."
    My first thought was "Huh; Nielsen did do movies besides Naked Gun."

Maybe I didn't watch enough of it, but I thought it was just a typical Fifties shoot-'em-up. Good guy gets the girl, bad guy gets dead.
    Edgar Buchanan was as recognizable as always, but I didn't know Shirley MacLaine was the female lead until I looked it up.

Dang, if I hadn't read this thread, I wouldn't have known Naked Gun was a trilogy (almost had a Part 4), or that Priscilla Presley and O.J. Simpson were in it.
    I do try to learn something new every day, so now I'm all set for today.

This reply might not really follow your original premise, but call it a "bump" for the thread.
    --
    Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

If you liked Leslie Nielsen in the Naked Gun movies, try getting your hands on his tv series that the movies were based on. It's called Police Squad. It came out several years before the movies and there were only six episodes aired before it was cancelled. It was hilarious, full of the slapstick comedy and sight gags that the movies were known for.

Comment

It takes a unique talent and personality to be so hilarious at slapstick humor, and to carry an entire movie of it, not to mention the many sequels. That's part of what makes him so special as an actor.

I was surprised also to not only see him in serious roles, but he hit them out of the park as well as he did comedy.

Here's a link to his IMDb profile (Internet Movie Database); he has 243 different acting credits as well as a few for production. His bio along with notable quotes is linked right near the top of the page.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000558/?ref_=nv_sr_5
        "Snort-laughter is the best medicine"
        ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

Comment

Thanks! I did know that he had been an actor prior to "Naked Gun", but I never watched any of the other movies. I kind of figured that he must have gotten his start somewhere and that it probably wasn't all comedy from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by MargeGunderson View Post
            Here's a link to his IMDb profile (Internet Movie Database); he has 243 different acting credits as well as a few for production. His bio along with notable quotes is linked right near the top of the page.
            "Director/producer Wendy Dent presented Leslie Nielsen with the final award of his career, a Lifetime Achievement Award, at the star-studded 2005 Palm Beach International Film Festival Gala at the ritzy Boca Raton Resort. The black-tie affair was attended also by Woody Harrelson, Salma Hayek and tennis stars Venus and Serena Williams, but Leslie Nielsen was the talk of the night, accepting the award from Wendy Dent with a gentlemanly flirtatiousness after he first walked the red carpet armed with a flatulence-maker in his tuxedo pocket." I think I wore a tux once, maybe for my brother's wedding. If I ever wear one again, I want one with a flatulence-maker in the pocket. crackup.gif

"Doing nothing is very hard to do... you never know when you're finished." I'm gonna steal that line.

Thanks for the link, Marge.
            --
            Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3361 users online. 167 members and 3194 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X