Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mother fell for Craigslist Scam...Any real worries?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother fell for Craigslist Scam...Any real worries?

Hello Folks,

When I got home today I saw my phone had been blown up from my Mother, 9 times in a 30 minute span. When I went over I see that she was trying to sell a non-inoperable vehicle. What caught my attention is that this person was going to flatbed a vehicle from the Westchester area, all the way up to Allentown. That just didn't sit right with me. I told her it's probably a scam. The bad part... This person told my Mother she'd receive a certified check in the mail for the amount, and then they'd arrange to get it picked up. My Mother gave out her full real name, her address and phone number.

I told her to not sign for the check, or to just rip it up and throw it out. If the check is drawn a fake account, and then the money is wired, wouldn't my Mother be left with a $1,250 dollar bill to repay the bank? My Mom got scared, and then sent these e-mails (semi-comical):
    "Sorry for the bad news, but i'm going to have to hold off on selling of the vehicle if it's not in cash. I really don't want a certified check, as it can be drawn from a fake account and then i'm left holding the bill. CASH ONLY. DO NOT SEND ANY CHECKS!"

"Any CHECKS SENT WILL NOT BE SIGNED FOR AND WILL BE RETURNED TO SENDER, Any FAKE emails from the "Police" or "FBI" will be turned over to the Police. "

The last one was sent because I told her the second part of the scam is that the "Police" "FBI" or a "Lawyer" will write a threaten letter demanding she wires the money, or face being "arrested".

Here's the e-mail this loser sent: "Thanks you for the response and am sorry for the delay, according to the description,am okay with the price and the condition pasted on cl. I am ready to make instant purchase and will be adding extra $50 to get it from you so i will like you to delete the ads from the list.. But mode of payment would be in Certified Check and concerning the pick up, i will arrange for a local pick up as soon as you get the check clear in your bank, because that is the only inconvenient means for my husband and due to our work frame and my Kids so i can not be able to come with the cash and pick it up, but i promise everything will go smoothly because this is my first time on the Cl... If you are selling it to me, get back to me with your contact details to mail out the check immediately:
    Your Full Name: Full Address: And Cell # To Contact You

As soon as i get the details, i will ask my husband to overnight the check to you and then arrange for the pick up after the check clear in your bank."

I like how the Vehicle is never mentioned at all, such a copy and paste scam.

All in all what i'm asking is, as long as she denies the check, or throws it out, she'll be okay right? Identity wise how much damage can you do with a Name, address and phone number?

Also if you search the dang e-mail about 8 threads on Craigslist stating... don't buy from them, it's a scam. LOL...

Here's what's going to happen.

The check will come in an amount that's several hundred dollars more that what's agreed upon. The very nice buyer will enclose a note asking your mother to cash the check, send part of the excess to the tow company via Western Union to pay to have the car picked up and keep the extra for her troubles.

No one from a tow company will ever come to pick up the car.

A few weeks later your mother's bank will notify her that the check was bogus. Because most of the money never left her account there is no significant loss. However, they will debt her account for the money she took out and wired via Western Union to the "Tow Company" which will really be the scammer.

In short, she will lose whatever she wired to the scammer.

It's simple - don't cash the check. Insist on an in-person pick up and a cash payment if they really want the vehicle.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by PoliceSeeker View Post
      Hello Folks,

When I got home today I saw my phone had been blown up from my Mother, 9 times in a 30 minute span. When I went over I see that she was trying to sell a non-inoperable vehicle. What caught my attention is that this person was going to flatbed a vehicle from the Westchester area, all the way up to Allentown. That just didn't sit right with me. I told her it's probably a scam. The bad part... This person told my Mother she'd receive a certified check in the mail for the amount, and then they'd arrange to get it picked up. My Mother gave out her full real name, her address and phone number.

I told her to not sign for the check, or to just rip it up and throw it out. If the check is drawn a fake account, and then the money is wired, wouldn't my Mother be left with a $1,250 dollar bill to repay the bank? My Mom got scared, and then sent these e-mails (semi-comical):
      "Sorry for the bad news, but i'm going to have to hold off on selling of the vehicle if it's not in cash. I really don't want a certified check, as it can be drawn from a fake account and then i'm left holding the bill. CASH ONLY. DO NOT SEND ANY CHECKS!"

"Any CHECKS SENT WILL NOT BE SIGNED FOR AND WILL BE RETURNED TO SENDER, Any FAKE emails from the "Police" or "FBI" will be turned over to the Police. "

The last one was sent because I told her the second part of the scam is that the "Police" "FBI" or a "Lawyer" will write a threaten letter demanding she wires the money, or face being "arrested".

Here's the e-mail this loser sent: "Thanks you for the response and am sorry for the delay, according to the description,am okay with the price and the condition pasted on cl. I am ready to make instant purchase and will be adding extra $50 to get it from you so i will like you to delete the ads from the list.. But mode of payment would be in Certified Check and concerning the pick up, i will arrange for a local pick up as soon as you get the check clear in your bank, because that is the only inconvenient means for my husband and due to our work frame and my Kids so i can not be able to come with the cash and pick it up, but i promise everything will go smoothly because this is my first time on the Cl... If you are selling it to me, get back to me with your contact details to mail out the check immediately:
      Your Full Name: Full Address: And Cell # To Contact You

As soon as i get the details, i will ask my husband to overnight the check to you and then arrange for the pick up after the check clear in your bank."

I like how the Vehicle is never mentioned at all, such a copy and paste scam.

All in all what i'm asking is, as long as she denies the check, or throws it out, she'll be okay right? Identity wise how much damage can you do with a Name, address and phone number?

Also if you search the dang e-mail about 8 threads on Craigslist stating... don't buy from them, it's a scam. LOL...
      Its a scam, unless the check is a Cashiers check or one from say amscott i wouldnt trust it. Those can verified by calling said bank or company.

As for the name address and phone number, im assuming you havnt ever heard of a phone book before......
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by Dingbat View Post
        Its a scam, unless the check is a Cashiers check or one from say amscott i wouldnt trust it. Those can verified by calling said bank or company.

As for the name address and phone number, im assuming you havnt ever heard of a phone book before......
        Phone book!? I haven't seen one of those since 1995 when I was literally 5 years old. Valid point Sir!

Comment

A cashier's check from a bank is easy enough to get, and easy enough to verify as being legit.

Comment

Sounds nice and Nigerian to me.
            Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
              Sounds nice and Nigerian to me.
              This. I would tell your mother to simply stop corresponding with them. It is not worth the headache.

Comment

Just toss the check, don't have any more contact with the scammer and call it done. There is no need to respond and warn them to stop.
                Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Everything stated above is correct and good advice. If you are concerned about someone using your mom's info then get one of those credit monitoring services. Most likely they won't use any of her info, just wanted the Western Union money. Craig's List is more like Scammer's List.
                  Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5663 users online. 303 members and 5360 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X