300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walmart Employee Hit With Felony for Snacking on Store Oreos

What I don't get is that she hit with a felony yet she does no jail time. ?? How does that work??

Walmart Employee Hit With Felony for Snacking on Store Oreos

Feb 22, 2013 8:18am

ht penny winters dm 130222 wblog Walmart Employee Hit With Felony for Snacking on Store Oreos
    Penny S. Winters, 63, is shown in this booking photo. (Portage PD)

A Walmart employe in Indiana has been charged with felony theft after she was caught munching Oreos filched from the store’s shelves, police said.

When confronted by cops with video of the alleged theft, Penny S. Winters, 63, admitted she ate the cookies and said she had been doing it for years.

After a box of opened Oreo cookies were discovered at a Walmart in Portage, Ind., and an investigation was conducted, a longtime Walmart employee admitted she not only consumed Oreos she hadn’t paid for, but also took junk food from the company every week for four years. Penny S. Winters, 63, was also caught on video during her evening shift eating the popular sandwich cookies.

In an incident report released to ABC News by police in Portage, Ind., officials state they responded to the Portage Walmart on Feb. 18 in reference to an internal theft investigation. Upon arrival, police spoke with a Walmart manager who said an empty food wrapper was located within the store on Feb. 12, coupled with surveillance video footage, indicated Winters was responsible.

Winters admitted to stealing cookies and other items approximately once or twice a week during her seven month tenure at the Portage store, and at her previous position at a Walmart near her hometown in Tucson, Ariz. She said she regularly snacked on gum, chips, sandwiches and chocolates, according to the police report.

Winters said she knew taking the items without paying was “wrong” and that it “would never happen again.” Walmart agreed and fired her.

As to why she repeatedly stole the items, Winters told police she could not afford them. Winters could not explain to police why she chose to steal “junk food” instead of legitimate food products normally associated with necessity. Winters was employed as a full-time maintenance worker making an hourly wage of $11.40 an hour.

Winters told police she had been a Walmart employee for approximately seven years.

“We have high standards on how we conduct business in our stores and high expectations for all our associates. This includes acting with honesty, integrity and following company policies and guidelines,” Walmart media relations spokeswoman Ashley Hardie told ABCNews.com. “Unfortunately, Ms. Winters failed to meet those expectations. As a result of her violation of company policy she is no longer with the company.”
    There are certain crimes that are simply too cruel, too sadistic, too hideous to be forgiven.”
    ― John E. Douglas, Journey Into Darkness.

6 Things you don't mess with.
    MY FAITH

MY FAMILY

MY FLAG

MY COUNTRY

MY HONOR AND THE THIN BLUE LINE

I don't know if its the same in Indiana, but here in Oregon theft 1 is a class c felony. With any misdemeanor or a class c felony we can issue a citation in lieu of custody. Maybe the officers did that. That's crazy though, seven year span.

Comment

Originally posted by Barber View Post
      I don't know if its the same in Indiana, but here in Oregon theft 1 is a class c felony. With any misdemeanor or a class c felony we can issue a citation in lieu of custody. Maybe the officers did that. That's crazy though, seven year span.

Yea sure is crazy, I guess it's one for the books.
      There are certain crimes that are simply too cruel, too sadistic, too hideous to be forgiven.”

MY FAITH

MY FAMILY

MY FLAG

MY COUNTRY

Comment

Most people who commit felonies don't spend any time in jail. Do you really want to take up limited jail space for a lady eating stolen cookies?

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
          Most people who commit felonies don't spend any time in jail. Do you really want to take up limited jail space for a lady eating stolen cookies?
          Lots of room in the women's prison.

All kidding aside, she didn't seem the least bit remorseful, so maybe a short stint in lock up will do her some good.
          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

That was called grazing back when I worked in a grocery store. I was told that it's one the leading employee thefts out there.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
              Lots of room in the women's prison.

All kidding aside, she didn't seem the least bit remorseful, so maybe a short stint in lock up will do her some good.
              I'd say that's a factor for the judge to consider. I'm not saying she doesn't need a wake-up call, I'm just pointing out to Steve that a lot of non-violent felons get diversion or probation. A felony conviction is not an automatic trip to jail or prison.

Comment

I'm surprised she got away with it for so long.
                Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

The real crime is not going to the dairy section and grabbing some milk to go with the oreos. I can't eat oreos without milk.
                  Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Originally posted by pujolsfan146 View Post
                    The real crime is not going to the dairy section and grabbing some milk to go with the oreos. I can't eat oreos without milk.
                    Dunno, for all we know, maybe she did, but just hasn't gotten around to fessing up yet.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
                      I'm surprised she got away with it for so long.
                      It's not hard to get away with. I worked with people who bragged about it a few years after we both stopped working there. If the wrappers are found there, they'll assume that someone else did it and chock it up as product loss or "shrink".

Comment

Originally posted by mookster View Post
                        It's not hard to get away with. I worked with people who bragged about it a few years after we both stopped working there. If the wrappers are found there, they'll assume that someone else did it and chock it up as product loss or "shrink".
                        All of the Wal-Mart stores I've been in have had pretty decent surveillance I'm surprised one of the LP guys didn't see anything while routinely monitoring the cameras or while walking the floors.

Comment

She hasn't done any jail time as she hasn't been convicted of anything yet....at least from what I am reading in that news article
                          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                            I'd say that's a factor for the judge to consider. I'm not saying she doesn't need a wake-up call, I'm just pointing out to Steve that a lot of non-violent felons get diversion or probation. A felony conviction is not an automatic trip to jail or prison.
                            Thanks Joe. within time I will get to know what the laws are here and there meanings.

MY FAITH

MY FAMILY

MY FLAG

MY COUNTRY

Comment

Look at white collar crimes you can steal millions or billions and just get fines and probation

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10028 users online. 344 members and 9684 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X