Need Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice

I recently picked up another part-time job at a gun store and am doing two jobs. However, I have one more year of school and I will have to either stick with this job or remain at my other job. I'm having difficulty in deciding what to do so maybe hearing some of your opinions will help me reach an answer.

My first job, that I've been there for over five years is very felxible when it comes to hours, pays better and requires less mental strain if that makes sense. Essentially, I just go in and work (I'll elaborate more on this in a second). I'm also due for a raise in December so that will bump my pay even more. The physical part of this job is a little more demanding than at the gun store, which doesn't bother me all that much.

The job I just started, which is working in a gun store and selling guns, is not too bad of a job. They pay is less, but I like working with firearms, however there is not much room for error when it comes to the paper work and if things are wrong or incorrect, my pay can be docked. When I go into work here, I need to be at the top of my game and instead of going in and working, like I do with my other job, this requires more mental strain and constant checking, double checking and even triple checking of the paper work to ensure that everything is correct. Not to mention that you get some odd balls in there every now and then.

I'm somewhat nervous about over working my brain if I were to stick with this job and go to school at the same time. I don't want to go into work there and have other things on my mind (i.e. how I'm going to start my next essay or prepare for my next exam) because that will open up the possibilities of overlooking and making mistakes on the state and federal forms I need to fill out.

Like I said, I like working with firearms but I don't want this job to interfere with school and vica versa. It's a tough decision but I have to have one by the end of next week because I would need to put a two week notice in at my other job before school starts. I'm just unsure if now is the right time to make a switch in jobs or if I should wait until I just get my degree and then make the switch while looking for LE jobs.

I'm on a 90-day probationary period at the gun store but the manager said after about a month, they and I will get an idea if I should continue. Any thoughts are appreciated and thanks for reading.

It's your call.

If it were me, I'd stick with my current job. You'll make a little bit more money, you'll be able to focus on school work and extend your longevity a little bit more at your current job.

This job and any job you have before your career is a stepping stone. If your life goal isn't to become a gun shop owner... why change things up?

FYI: The older you get the more responsibility you will have. Both on the job/career and in life. Don't be scared of responsibility, own it. I will also tell you, you always have "things on your mind" distracting you. Your brain hasn't even begun to (over) work, wait 'til you meet life. : )
    Certified troll.

Comment

All valid points, and yes, I'll be meeting "life" next May when I graduate...not sure if I should be looking forward to it or not . Thank you for your advice, sir. I still have some time to dwell on this, I'll just have to listen to my gut.

Comment

Stick with current job. The quickest way to loose interest in a hobby/sport is to have to do that as a job. Officer's who know please correct me but if an applicant is trying for a police job, after college, I suspect putting gun sales on the resume might not be the best thing to show up.

Comment

Interesting. That was sort of in the back of my mind when I had my first couple of days there. I remember thinking to myself as I was looking at all the guns "I hope I don't start to hate guns since I'm going to be around them all the time."

I'm also interested to see if anyone will chime in and offer insight to your last sentence..

Comment

Working in a gun store will not be a problem as a police applicant because you are selling guns legally. Heck may get you on as a member of the range staff. Heck I have worked three jobs for the last 15 years. the only time I dropped down from 3 is when i was in the academy and at that time I had 2 jobs and went to the academy (part time extended academy). Do what is best for you but dont ever be afraid of work or trying new things.
            Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Hi NextGenOfc,

I urge you to stay with your current job.

What good reason is there to ruin your stability record now?

Quitting your current job at which you have a good 5 year history to work at a gun store at which your prospects are dubious at best is unwise given that you intend to apply to be a Police Officer.

Regards,

Monty

Comment

It's not the guns you will learn to hate if you work the gun store, it is the gun owners that will ruin it for you.

Comment

If you need to drop a job, drop the gun store job. Your first job pays better and shows stability.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone...I'll have to make a decision on it by the end of next week..

Comment

Sounds like you answered your own question. You listed a whole lot of pluses for your old job. I would stick with it.
                      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenOfc View Post
                        Not to mention that you get some odd balls in there every now and then.

Wells if ya' start werk'in thar', since you are from da' O, IMO they will have athotha' odd ball...

I'm somewhat nervous about over working my brain

Yea, a "over werked" brain is a sad thang....

that will open up the possibilities of overlooking and making mistakes on the state and federal forms I need to fill out.

Look Kiddo' dar' are only 11 Q's on a 4473 form..jeeezzz...

I'm on a 90-day probationary period

It's all relative, I got 7 ta' 10 fer' robb'in da' stage....Den 3 years of O.COM probations ...

Originally posted by David Hineline View Post
                        It's not the guns you will learn to hate if you work the gun store, it is the gun owners that will ruin it for you.

D.H. Obviously ya' neva' werked in ma' full service gun shop...

A-Holes and "straws" wud' strut in...Den they wud' be carried out....On a stretcha'

Originally posted by Monkeybomb View Post
                        Sounds like you answered your own question. You listed a whole lot of pluses for your old job. I would stick with it.

Now, ya' listen ta' da' Sarge...

BTW.. any off chance ya' a 101?

If ya' iz', we need piCtures....

If ya' taint', ferget dem' piCture thingy's....
                        Last edited by asullivan; 08-10-2012, 06:33 PM. Reason: secret stuffy, dat's what!!
                        Originally posted by mookster
                        Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                        Originally posted by CityCopDC
                        I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                        Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                        I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                        -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

In addition to the many solid answers you've already received in favor of keeping your current job, add in the crappy economy – if it gets even worse, do you want to be the guy with five years on and a wealth of training and experience, or the bottom of the totem pole where you're the first to get the axe if layoffs come around?
                          "Snort-laughter is the best medicine"
                          ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7033 users online. 272 members and 6761 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                          X