300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online College that isn't a scam?

Hey all, so I'm taking a few classes this Fall Semester and I'll have my Associates Degree in Administration of Justice. I was going to transfer to one of the state colleges around here to get my bachelors, but working a 3/12,4/12,3/12,4/12 schedule, makes it kinda hard to go to class. Also, schools are so crowded now days, it's hard to get classes. I tried searching on google a little bit but I didn't find much. Are there actually any legit colleges that offer online degrees that are accredited? I'm also a veteran so I have part of my Post 9/11 GI bill left. For example I heard University of Pheonix Degrees didn't count for crap and they just scam people, mainly veterans because they get a lot of money from the VA. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
    CHICKS DIG IT!!!

Thomas Edison State College is regionally accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. tesc.edu
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Look at Upper Iowa University....................They have special rates for military/veterans

I am linking you to the military area.............but explore the whole site

http://www.uiu.edu/admissions/military/index.html

Upper Iowa is a real brick and mortar school that has expanded to several satellite centers and has a big on-line setup. It is fully accredited and has a great academic record

http://www.uiu.edu/locations/militarycenters/index.html
      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 07-30-2012, 06:28 AM.
      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Go to the nearest military base and find the education center. They have local colleges there that sometimes only offer online classes to military and veterans at a reduced rate.

Comment

There are lots of accredited online colleges. You might have to scour quite a few schools to find one that will accept your transfer credits.

What are you wanting to major in?
          NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by OCEnforcer29 View Post
            Are there actually any legit colleges that offer online degrees that are accredited? For example I heard University of Pheonix Degrees didn't count for crap and they just scam people, mainly veterans because they get a lot of money from the VA.

For example I heard University of Pheonix Degrees didn't count for crap and they just scam people

really?

Generally speak'in I tell all my students that the "Degree" in and by itself means Jack Sh1T.. I'ts what you take away less the "sheep skin" that counts.

Thats funny, U.of P. receives the same $ as any otha' college accredited via the V.A.

After you mix in the variables Online courses vs. "on ground", both have attributes and miss-givin's.

Credit between institutions is at the sole discretion of those institutions through a formal articulation agreement between tha' two.

IMHO, ACCET accreditdation is the lowest standard you should be comfortable with includ'in institutions providing non-collegiate continuing education and training programs and which may be approved to award the validated CEU, certificates and/or Occupational Associates Degrees.

Now's, I can tell you personal horror stories from the students/Admin./Instructor perspectives but iz will spare ya'...

To be honest, they all can be grease balls....

Unless of course ya' wud attend one of my classes. Then ya' might feel as if you had a outter-galactic, inner cranium respective implosion/explosion realiziation thingy of at least 1/2 dozen intertwined dimentions.

Trigga'

My Bottle, aNd on's ta' otha' thready thinGy!
            Originally posted by mookster
            Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
            Originally posted by CityCopDC
            I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
            Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
            I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
            -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Look for regional accedication. That is the most important. Also, make absolute sure that the school that you choose is recongized by the U.S. Department of Education.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                Thomas Edison State College is regionally accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. tesc.edu
                Copy, thanks. I'll check it out.

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                Look at Upper Iowa University....................They have special rates for military/veterans

I am linking you to the military area.............but explore the whole site

http://www.uiu.edu/admissions/military/index.html

Upper Iowa is a real brick and mortar school that has expanded to several satellite centers and has a big on-line setup. It is fully accredited and has a great academic record

http://www.uiu.edu/locations/militarycenters/index.html
                I'll check that one out too.

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                There are lots of accredited online colleges. You might have to scour quite a few schools to find one that will accept your transfer credits.

What are you wanting to major in?
                Criminal Justice since I already am gonna have my Associates in that.

Originally posted by asullivan View Post
                really?

Generally speak'in I tell all my students that the "Degree" in and by itself means Jack Sh1T.. I'ts what you take away less the "sheep skin" that counts.

Thats funny, U.of P. receives the same $ as any otha' college accredited via the V.A.

After you mix in the variables Online courses vs. "on ground", both have attributes and miss-givin's.

Credit between institutions is at the sole discretion of those institutions through a formal articulation agreement between tha' two.

IMHO, ACCET accreditdation is the lowest standard you should be comfortable with includ'in institutions providing non-collegiate continuing education and training programs and which may be approved to award the validated CEU, certificates and/or Occupational Associates Degrees.

Now's, I can tell you personal horror stories from the students/Admin./Instructor perspectives but iz will spare ya'...

To be honest, they all can be grease balls....

Unless of course ya' wud attend one of my classes. Then ya' might feel as if you had a outter-galactic, inner cranium respective implosion/explosion realiziation thingy of at least 1/2 dozen intertwined dimentions.

Trigga'

My Bottle, aNd on's ta' otha' thready thinGy!
                Thank you for the informative post. I can't remember but I thought I read an article not too long ago about UoP trying to scam vets. May have mistaken it for a different school.

Originally posted by MPDCjock View Post
                Look for regional accedication. That is the most important. Also, make absolute sure that the school that you choose is recongized by the U.S. Department of Education.
                Yeah I found some accreditation sites that list distant education schools that are accredited and recognized by the Department of Education so I'm going to look more in depth on those lists.

Thanks everyone for the replies thus far.
                CHICKS DIG IT!!!

Comment

UOP is not a scam.
                  I can speak from personal experience, ALL of the classes I took with them regarding CJ were great.
                  I met a lot of incredible instructors all over the country with amazing experience and a lot to offer the students. I have received letters of recommendation from a few and still keep in a touch with a few of my classmates.

Also, if you are pursuing a BS in CJ...all colleges offer different courses and curriculum when it comes to CJ. You need to research what you want out of it and not just the BS degree if you so choose.
                  My degree is in Criminal Justice Administration (all done online) it was great.....and so glad it's over! (2012 grad)
                  "Visualize what you want out of life and think big. Don’t feel undeserving. We're all deserving of living our dreams—some of us realize it and some don't. You’re not doing anyone any favors by living small. Embrace these truths and step up. The world is waiting." –Jillian Michaels

Comment

I have always held this to be true as far as being able to apply what you learn. If I learn something from a class that I take at a community college, and it helps me do my job better, faster, or easier, I win. Fortunately, most agencies do not care what your degree is in, as long as it is from an accredited school.

I don't have any personal experience with U or P, but I haven't really heard anything bad about them either.

Also a valid point, some of my military credits transferred, some of my university credits transferred, and some did not. It is entirely up to the school, some of my advanced credits won't even transfer to the community college where I teach. Be sure to check the SOC schools.

The red flags are those 'schools' that offer degrees for life experience, based entirely on a portfolio assessment. Steer clear of diploma mills such as this; Google degree mill or diploma mill.

Last edited by slamdunc; 07-30-2012, 02:20 PM.
                    “Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Originally posted by MPDCjock View Post
                      Look for regional accreditation. That is the most important. Also, make absolute sure that the school that you choose is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
                      ^ Simple as that. The colleges in your price range/programs will tell you on their websites what kind of accreditation they have.

For example, (http://www.phoenix.edu/about_us/accreditation.html)

"University of Phoenix is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association. For additional information, visit ncahlc.org."

Which means the UOP is good to go:

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_C...es_and_Schools)

"The North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA), also known as the North Central Association, is a membership organization, consisting of colleges, universities, and schools in 19 U.S. states, that is engaged in educational accreditation. It is one of six regional accreditation bodies in the United States, and its Higher Learning Commission is recognized by the United States Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) as a regional accreditor for higher education institutions.[1]"

Consequently, UOP is not a scam. It makes no difference really unless you are going after an educationally stratified position.

Comment

Originally posted by OCEnforcer29 View Post
                        Criminal Justice since I already am gonna have my Associates in that.
                        Doh! Sorry I asked....

FYI- UofP is known to be much more expensive than other options. A scam? No. But lots of old timers don't look fondly upon anything but brick-and-mortar schools.
                        NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                          Doh! Sorry I asked....

FYI- UofP is known to be much more expensive than other options. A scam? No. But lots of old timers don't look fondly upon anything but brick-and-mortar schools.
                          However, it is a good thing that times are changing. I was afraid of this happening, but decided with my schedule at the time...online school and UOP, was the best option.
                          To my surprise, while interviewing with two different agencies here in the Chicago metro area...I was approached two seperate times regarding school.
                          Both gentlemen approached me and asked how I like the curriculum and school...both of which were also online instructors-for other schools...AND both told me they were impressed with my background and experience with the school. It was surprising and refreshing.
                          You never really do know who you're going to meet and what they will have to say about it.
                          I have received nothing but great things come of my schooling with them.

Yes, expensive.
                          "Visualize what you want out of life and think big. Don’t feel undeserving. We're all deserving of living our dreams—some of us realize it and some don't. You’re not doing anyone any favors by living small. Embrace these truths and step up. The world is waiting." –Jillian Michaels

Comment

Originally posted by Finley78 View Post
                            I was approached two seperate times regarding school.
                            Both gentlemen approached me and asked how I like the curriculum and school...both of which were also online instructors-for other schools...AND both told me they were impressed with my background and experience with the school.
                            I dare say the highlighted portion was the reason.
                            NRA Life Member

Comment

Deleted...
                              Last edited by deleted; 09-30-2013, 03:51 PM. Reason: Bad grammar

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4154 users online. 274 members and 3880 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X