Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any intensive supervision officers (ISOs) or probation officers here?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any intensive supervision officers (ISOs) or probation officers here?

Really just wanting to know what your typical day entails? I'm currently working at an adult detention center, but recently laterally transferred to a max security juvenile facility and will be starting Monday. But today i was offered an adult ISO position and am very torn about what to do....trying to get some input from o.com. Looking to see how much field vs office work there is....how often you go to court....basically, your typical day/week...
    'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

Everything is going to depend on location, case load, etc when it comes to court. I know around south western PA it all depends. If you work Pittsburgh area you might have 150+ adult cases, or maybe 30-50 juvenile cases, depending on APO or JPO. Personally, I think it's much easier to deal with someone who is set in their ways or who is at least somewhat mature, rather than some 17 yr old punk who thinks he knows it all. Its going to boil down to what you want more. A detention center is going to be all office or pod work, where as probation work CAN BE field work, but also CAN BE enough office and paperwork to make you want to self medicate with some substance!

Comment

I can tell you every time dispatch has tried to get a hold someone's probation officer outside M-F 8/5, it never worked, they were told to call back "during office hours."
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
      (")_(")
      Copy and paste Bunny into your
      signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

I know around my area there is an emergency number that is called, and depending on the "emergency" the PO will or will not be contacted. Now if it is an emergency and the PO can NOT be contacted, you just better prepare yourself for a nice little sit down with the supv. come Monday. I believe it was also discussed before in a previous thread about the pros and cons or PD's working closely with PPOs.

Comment

Hah, I read this thread title and at first I thought it said "Any insensitive supervision officers."

Comment

Yeah I'm doing dentention work now....just not sure if I'd like probation work better. Ultimate goal is still to be a police officer, but I'm just so torn right now. Might call the probation office today and say I need until Monday.
            'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by cbr600_kitty View Post
              Yeah I'm doing dentention work now....just not sure if I'd like probation work better. Ultimate goal is still to be a police officer, but I'm just so torn right now. Might call the probation office today and say I need until Monday.
              A lot of things depend on your state, county, etc. In different states, probation is run differently-- i.e. more LE driven, or more social work driven. In NY, most departments are a mixture of both; some carry, some don't. If you want to be a police officer, it may give you a different perspective on things before you move on. Our department has a second shift, and I am a "community officer" (out in the field the majority of the time) so I get to interact with the various local PDs, state agencies, etc. I find probation to be a great career path with a ton of options (various units-- investigations; supervising adults; juveniles; RUS in court; DWI; gang unit etc.). I would go for it-- if anything, it will make you more well rounded in regard to your resume.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5074 users online. 219 members and 4855 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
              X