300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setback on my Broken Ankle

As some of you are aware, I was involved in a motorcycle accident this past April, on my way to work. Some *** changed lanes on me in a tunnel and I was forced to lay the bike down. Surgery fixed the fractures, and I spent the summer on light duty, finally coming back to full duty 3 weeks ago. I developed an infection at the site of the fracture, which necessitated removal of the hardware. Surgery was Tuesday, hardware was removed, and the bone looks good, no infection, and has healed very nicely. There is an underlying staph infection, so the incision has been left open. I have a small Grand Canyon on the outside of my left ankle. Pretty neat, you can see the bone and all! A nurse comes to the house twice a day to change dressings, and once it arrives, I will be put on a Wound Vac, a small vacuum pump that will close the wound. That plus enough antibiotics to kill most anything alive. I am ambulatory but will be carrying a "purse" with the pump in it. Recovery time for this is estimated 4-6 weeks. Light Duty with the PD after October 13. Rats, and I just got back on the street!! My boss is gonna love this!

Staph's a nasty bug. Stick with your treatment regimen and don't take any shortcuts. Good luck to you!

Comment

Good luck bro! And I hope you heal fast! I broke my ankle in September of 2010 while fighting with a drunk. Haven't had any infections yet, so I'm hoping I'm in the clear.
      The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Originally posted by phillyrube View Post
        That plus enough antibiotics to kill most anything alive.!
        Well in that case the hookers should look out

Staph is the debble........................a friend has a Staph they cannot get rid of . He needs knee surgery but that knee has been home to a nasty one for 10 yrs (yes 10 yrs) The surgeons just plain don't want to open it up ...

Comment

Scary story for me! I recently had a very close call, almost breaking mine on my bike, making a rookie mistake in gravel, the bike landed on my leg with my foot pointing 180 degrees in the wrong direction. Bike accidents hurt. Good luck with the foot, heal up soon!

Comment

Im sorry to hear that PhillyRube, that stinks. You were making some great progress as well
            I wish ypou luck my friend!!
            MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Is the nurse cute? Smilieys wont work...hell this whole forum doesn't work. Thanks to Iowa he's figured a way around this mess.

Take your time getting better....LE will always be here.
              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4356 users online. 233 members and 4123 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
              X