300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window tint

Can someone tell me an updated 2011 law on window tint in the state of Ohio? I got pulled over 2 years ago for window tint multiple times. After the 4th time, I finally decided it wasn't worth the hassle and took it off my two front windows like the officers asked. Ever since I haven't had any problems and I travel roads that are polluted with cops. Now I get pulled over tonight and I have a cop telling me I'm not allowed to have tint even on the back windows or any window what so ever. Then we bull****ted for a bit and he told me to take care and make sure I get my tint up to at least 50%. So that's two different things right there. As far as I know and was told from different cops, tint on the windshield is allowed to be no longer than 7'' from the top, and you can have any % on the back passenger windows and rear window. You can only have 50% on the front passenger window and I don't have any at all on the front passenger windows...
    Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

4513.241 Using tinted glass and other vision obscuring materials.

(A) The director of public safety, in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, shall adopt rules governing the use of tinted glass, and the use of transparent, nontransparent, translucent, and reflectorized materials in or on motor vehicle windshields, side windows, sidewings, and rear windows that prevent a person of normal vision looking into the motor vehicle from seeing or identifying persons or objects inside the motor vehicle.

(B) The rules adopted under this section may provide for persons who meet either of the following qualifications:

(1) On November 11, 1994, or the effective date of any rule adopted under this section, own a motor vehicle that does not conform to the requirements of this section or of any rule adopted under this section;

(2) Establish residency in this state and are required to register a motor vehicle that does not conform to the requirements of this section or of any rule adopted under this section.

(C) No person shall operate, on any highway or other public or private property open to the public for vehicular travel or parking, lease, or rent any motor vehicle that is registered in this state unless the motor vehicle conforms to the requirements of this section and of any applicable rule adopted under this section.

(D) No person shall install in or on any motor vehicle, any glass or other material that fails to conform to the requirements of this section or of any rule adopted under this section.

(E) No used motor vehicle dealer or new motor vehicle dealer, as defined in section 4517.01 of the Revised Code, shall sell any motor vehicle that fails to conform to the requirements of this section or of any rule adopted under this section.

(F) No reflectorized materials shall be permitted upon or in any front windshield, side windows, sidewings, or rear window.

(G) This section does not apply to the manufacturer’s tinting or glazing of motor vehicle windows or windshields that is otherwise in compliance with or permitted by federal motor vehicle safety standard number two hundred five.

(H) With regard to any side window behind a driver’s seat or any rear window other than any window on an emergency door, this section does not apply to any school bus used to transport a child with disabilities pursuant to Chapter 3323. of the Revised Code, whom it is impossible or impractical to transport by regular school bus in the course of regular route transportation provided by a school district. As used in this division, ” child with disabilities” has the same meaning as in section 3323.01 of the Revised Code.

(I) This section does not apply to any school bus that is to be sold and operated outside this state.

(J) Whoever violates division (C), (D), (E), or (F) of this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004; 2007 HB119 09-29-2007

It appears that the local chief, sheriff or otherwise can adopt laws as they see fit. Our law on the matter looks like this:

337.28 USE OF SUNSCREENING, NONTRANSPARENT AND REFLECTORIZED MATERIALS.

(a) Requirements.

(1) No person shall operate, on any highway or other public or private property open to the public for vehicular travel or parking, lease, or rent any motor vehicle that is required to be registered in this State with any sunscreening material, or other product or material which has the effect of making the windshield or windows nontransparent or would alter the windows’ color, increase its reflectivity, or reduce its light transmittance, unless the product or material satisfies one of the following exceptions:

A. Any manufacturer’s tinting or glazing of motor vehicle windows or windshields that is otherwise in compliance with or permitted by “Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 205" (FMVSS 205) in effect at the time of the manufacture of the motor vehicle until such standard is subsequently repealed or reduced. In “Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 205" (FMVSS 205) “manufacturer” means any person engaged in the manufacturing or assembling of motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment, including any person importing motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment for resale.

B. Any sunscreening material or other product or material applied to the windshield when used in conjunction with the safety glazing materials of such window, has a light transmittance of not less than seventy per cent plus or minus three per cent and is not red or yellow in color.

C. Any sunscreening material or other product or material applied to the side windows to the immediate right or left of the driver, so long as such material, when used in conjunction with the safety glazing materials of such windows, has a light transmittance of not less than fifty per cent plus or minus three per cent and is not red or yellow in color.

D. Any sunscreening material or other product or material applied to a window not otherwise listed in subsections (a)(1)A. to C. or E. of this section, except that outside left and right rear view mirrors are required if the sunscreening material is applied to the rear window and the sunscreening material, when used in conjunction with the safety glazing material of such window, has a light transmittance of less than fifty per cent plus or minus three per cent.

E. Any sunscreening material or other product or material applied along the top of the windshield and that does not extend downward beyond the AS-1 line or five inches from the top of the windshield, whichever is closer to the top, is not regulated by this section.

(2) No person shall install in any motor vehicle any glass or other material that fails to conform to the specifications of this section.

(3) No used motor vehicle dealer or new motor vehicle dealer, as defined in Ohio R.C. 4517.01, shall sell any motor vehicle that fails to conform to the specifications of this section.

(4) No reflectorized materials shall be permitted upon or in any front windshield, side windows, sidewings or rear window.

(5) No person shall operate on any highway or other public or private property open to the public for vehicular travel or parking, lease, or rent any motor vehicle that is required to be registered in this State that is equipped with privacy drapes, louvers, curtains or blinds unless the drapes, louvers, curtains or blinds are open and secure during vehicle operation.

(6) All motor vehicles, beginning with the 1990 model year, must be equipped with labels identifying sunscreening material. All sunscreening material must indicate the manufacturer’s name and the percentage level of light transmission of the material permanently installed between the material and the surface to which the material is applied or affixed. Such label must be legible and must be placed in the lower left-hand corner of the vehicle window when viewed from the outside. (OAC 4501-41-03)

(b) Exemptions. The provisions of this section do not apply to:

(1) A motor vehicle registered in this State in the name of a person, or the person's parent, legal guardian or spouse who has an affidavit signed by a physician licensed to practice in this State under Ohio R.C. Chapter 4731 or an affidavit signed by an optometrist licensed to practice in this State under Ohio R.C. Chapter 4725 that states that the person has a physical condition that makes it necessary to equip such motor vehicle with sunscreening material which would be of a light transmittance and/or luminous reflectance in violation of this section. Such affidavit shall be in the possession of the person so afflicted or the driver at all times while in the motor vehicle;

(2) The windows to the rear of the driver in chauffeured limousines as defined herein;

(3) The windows to the rear of the driver in those vehicles designed and used to transport corpses which include hearses and other vehicles adapted for such use; and

(4) The manufacturer's tinting or glazing of motor vehicle windows or windshields that is otherwise in compliance with or permitted by "Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 205" (FMVSS 205) in effect at the time of the manufacture of the motor vehicle as provided in subsection (a) hereof. (OAC 4501-41-05)
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

So from what I got from that is that I'm in legal. I thought it was 7'' and I just even measured mine after reading that and mine is 5'' from the top on the windshield. Since my back windows and rear passenger windows are tinted, I must have rear view mirrors that of which I have.... It even states that front passenger windows must be no less than 50% and I don't have any on those windows. I don't want to say the cop that pulled me over is wrong. He's a cop, and it's his job to know the law. However I do not see anywhere where it says that NO tint what so ever is allowed on a vehicle in the state of Ohio and the driver must be able to be seen from EVERY angle. wtf
      Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

Originally posted by FromOhio View Post
        Can someone tell me an updated 2011 law on window tint in the state of Ohio? I got pulled over 2 years ago for window tint multiple times. After the 4th time, I finally decided it wasn't worth the hassle and took it off my two front windows like the officers asked. It took you four time to figure it out? Ever since I haven't had any problems and I travel roads that are polluted with cops. polluted huh? Now I get pulled over tonight and I have a cop telling me I'm not allowed to have tint even on the back windows or any window what so ever. Then we bull****ted for a bit and he told me to take care and make sure I get my tint up to at least 50%. So that's two different things right there. As far as I know and was told from different cops, tint on the windshield is allowed to be no longer than 7'' from the top, and you can have any % on the back passenger windows and rear window. You can only have 50% on the front passenger window and I don't have any at all on the front passenger windows...
        It's your responsibility, not ours...to know the laws and to adhere to them to be able to have the privilege to drive.

Why is this in the "off-duty" forum and not "ask a Cop"? What part of Off-duty does it have to do with?

From the Off-Duty main page - "Forum: The Off-Duty Forums

For the LE community, discussion of general non-LE topics, sports, movies, etc."
        Last edited by Buffaloboy; 08-22-2011, 11:37 PM.
        Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

I thought you were on a road trip to the land of Granola?

Comment

Originally posted by Buffaloboy View Post
            It's your responsibility, not ours...to know the laws and to adhere to them to be able to have the privilege to drive.

Why is this in the "off-duty" forum and not "ask a Cop"? What part of Off-duty does it have to do with?

From the Off-Duty main page - "Forum: The Off-Duty Forums

For the LE community, discussion of general non-LE topics, sports, movies, etc."
            Ask a cop is for trolls asking troll questions. I won't get as many serious replies there. I could have put this in general law enforcement, however it's not that big of a deal to me. I won't deny I was young and stupid. I got warnings every time for tint and then one day they threatened to give me a ticket and that's when I decided it wasn't worth it. It came off that exact night and I haven't had any problems since. And yes ''polluted.'' I drive an hour to work and see no less than 20 cops a day probably every day. They're mostly state troopers too which are the ''toughest'' on vehicle violations and speed. In the past two years, I haven't had any problems with the current tint on my car even when pulled over for other things. Also, it is actually your responsibility also to know the laws because YOU ARE THE ONE ENFORCING THEM. With that said, I know most laws, follow most laws, and I'm not looking to give the government more money than I should. That's why I'm asking for an updated law on tint and now I'm confused because it appears that cop doesn't know the law since it doesn't mention anything he said to me in the article USMARINE posted. If someone shows me where it says I'm not allowed to have ANY tint on my car, I will gladly follow the law and take it off, and avoid problems.

Originally posted by David Hineline View Post
            I thought you were on a road trip to the land of Granola?
            Last week of September!

Comment

Wow, Where to begin

And yes ''polluted.'' I drive an hour to work and see no less than 20 cops a day probably every day. They're mostly state troopers too which are the ''toughest'' on vehicle violations and speed. First using the word polluted, which implies negitivity, is automaticly going to bring you nothing but trouble. Your stay that the police doing thier job by monitoring traffic LAWS is polluting the roads. Actually they are in fact enforceing the law that people, such as yourself, chose to ignore at thier conveniance.

it is actually your responsibility also to know the laws because YOU ARE THE ONE ENFORCING THEM. With that said No, it is in fact YOUR responsability to know the laws. We do know them. However, have you ever heard the phrase ignorance is no excuse? We are not here to educate you on the laws. When you are pulled over, we arent going to teach you a class and bring you up to speed. When you put tint on your windows its, YOUR job to make sure its in full compliance of all laws, not the tint company and sure as hell not the police.

I know most laws, follow most laws, and I'm not looking to give the government more money than I should. You follow most laws? How do you decide which ones to follow and which ones not to? There are so many things I could say about that one comment, but nothing I say will in any way make you look any worse than you just did. Heres a hint, laws arent there for when you want to follow them, they apply all the time. No one asks or cares your opinion on a law or not. You dont like it, vote to change it, otherwise shut up and adhere to it.

I dont live in Ohio nor know any of the laws there so I wont even touch any of the legal issues in this thread, however several of the statements you made and your attitude towards those that have posted inspired me to through in my own .02cents. Obviously your not a cop, and might want to think twice before telling us we are polluting the road again.

Comment

Don't even get me started on window tint laws!!

However, they are right. Ignorance is no excuse. If you choose to tint.. accept the the responsibility.

On the flip side, how many pages do you think the traffic code handbook is for Ohio? And then the criminal codes for the state? Then add federal laws. Don't forget about tax codes also. Oh, and county/city ordinances. I suggest you set aside the next couple months so you can read the thousands of laws we have because after all... we are supposed to know them all.

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
                  I suggest you set aside the next couple months so you can read the thousands of laws we have because after all... we are supposed to know them all.
                  No, of course not...that's unrealistic. However, I would suggest that at the point that you flip on the lights to initiate a traffic stop, you should be pretty d*** sure you know that law. (I.e., the one for which you are initiating the stop.)
                  "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
                  But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
                  "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
                  We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Comment

If someone shows me where it says I'm not allowed to have ANY tint on my car, I will gladly follow the law and take it off, and avoid problems.
                    Look up the law for the jurisdiction where you live and follow those laws. They ones I posted only apply for where I work.
                    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Previous post:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...io-tint-law-!-!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10873 users online. 435 members and 10438 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X