300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA Disability Compensation

Has any combat veteran applied for disability compensation? I am a Desert Storm veteran and I was wondering how does one go about getting started.
    Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Originally posted by valetudo39 View Post
    Has any combat veteran applied for disability compensation? I am a Desert Storm veteran and I was wondering how does one go about getting started.
    You don't have to be a combat veteran to apply for VA disability. Just have service in the military. Do you have a copy of your medical record? If you do, make another copy that will be turned over to the VA. Go to a service organization like Disabled American Veterans, VFW, American Legion. You can find reps at the VA Benefits Office building. This is a free service to you. A rep from the organization you choose will help go over your medical records and fill out the form needed to apply for Disability. They will take a copy of your medical record as supporting evidence for your claim and they will walk it over to the compensation office to get the ball rolling. It can take up to 9 months to get an answer from VA as to your disability rating, but when you get that letter keep it safe. If you don't agree with the results you can request a re-evaluation and they will review your medical records a second time. It's usually better to dispute the first determination you most likely will get an increase in determination. The compensation from VA starts at 10% that is $110 a month for the rest of your life. If you hit 30% compensation amount depends depends on having dependents or not. This disability letter can be used to get higher veteran preference points for federal employment.
    Last edited by GIOSTORMUSNRET; 08-08-2011, 12:12 AM.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Thanks brother......How would I get a copies of my medical records?
      Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Comment

Never mind I just found out I don't need it if I file with the VA...thanks

Comment

You should contact your county veterans service officer, they are a great place to start and can help you navigate through the VA system. Or you could contact your local VFW or American Legion post and ask for assistance, we're always looking to help a fellow vet. Thanks for your service.
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
            You should contact your county veterans service officer, they are a great place to start and can help you navigate through the VA system. Or you could contact your local VFW or American Legion post and ask for assistance, we're always looking to help a fellow vet. Thanks for your service.
            +1
            Also be prepared to standby to standby as the VA moves somewhat slow.

Comment

Never mind I just found out I don't need it if I file with the VA...thanks
              As long as you remember and have all your injuries documented in the medical file that's fine. It is easier to go through it with a rep from one of the service organizations. They pretty much go over your medical record page by page and make a list of what you should claim before the form is submitted. There were injuries in my file that I didn't remember happened and the rep listed them in the disability claim. Considering I had 2 back injuries, 2nd degree water burns, and stepping on a piece of wood with a nail, forgot about the nail, and a shoulder surgery. The VA listed all of them and gave me a total of 10% for the shoulder, and 0% for my back initially and all the other injuries. Had a review of my initial determination and got 20% for my back which put me at 30% total disability.

You will get an appointment with a Dr at a VA medical center. Keep the appointment, the doctor will give you a complete physical, and order x-rays or MRI if needed to support your disability application.
              Last edited by GIOSTORMUSNRET; 08-09-2011, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I should have done this a long time ago.

Comment

I started my husbands at https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefi...enefits.portal
                  sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I should have done this a long time ago.
                    The TAP (Tansition Assistance Program) class would have gone over all this. Good luck in getting your determination.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6405 users online. 345 members and 6060 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X