X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 LAPD Officers Sue

I've looked and not seen this yet.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ket-quota.html

Two of their fellow West Traffic Division (WTD) motorcops already sued and collected BIG. These ten (I used to work with Stroway) have already had the way paved for their victory, providing they can half-way back-up their claims.

The bigger problem is the commanding officer of WTD. She's been stuck at the Captain II rank for some time and being a, long-term, Capt. II is the kiss of death, for the one-time upwardly mobile, at LAPD. It's what they do when, as a Captain I, you've almost destroyed a patrol division, and there's no way they should promote you to a Captain III, to probably destroy a geographic area. She's alleged to have addressed a roll-call, telling them, "I need to make commander and you're going to make it happen by making me look good."
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

I'm probably going to get blasted for this; but I don't really have a problem "quotas", to some degree, other than the fact that it's a violation of the law. If you're a motors cop in a traffic unit, how else do you show productivity? How else do you justify putting 100-200 miles on a patrol vehicle a day? In my opinion, a reasonable number doesn't force cops to write bad paper, it forces them to go out and work. My boss could tell me I only have to write 1 cite a month, and I could go out and write a crappy ticket if I wanted too.

Having said that, 18 cites a day sounds like alot, and I'm sure that the Captain was busting the Lt. and Sgt's chops who then came down on the cops. It is what it is, and I don't think this is worth a multi million dollar lawsuit.
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I heard this on the news on the way home from work. Ok, so if the supervisors aren't supposed to evaluate traffic units by the number of cites and reports they write, the number of arrests made, etc, how are they supposed to evaluate their performance? Seriously?? So, they have to evaluate their performance without evaluating their performance.....my brain hurts.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by Smurfette
        Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
        Originally posted by DAL
        You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
          Seriously?? So, they have to evaluate their performance without evaluating their performance.....my brain hurts.
          Right?

And I doubt these guys were denied overtime because they didn't write their number of tickets, they probably just didn't get picked because someone else writes more. We still have a few speed, seatbelt and DWI details on OT. If I was the supervisor and I had to pick between Officer A who writes 100 tickets a month or Officer B who writes 25, who do you think I would pick to go out and enforce the v&t law on overtime???

Comment

I somewhat agree. How do you evaluate performance without those statistics? However, 17 summonses a day sounds like a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
              The bigger problem is the commanding officer of WTD. She's been stuck at the Captain II rank for some time and being a, long-term, Capt. II is the kiss of death, for the one-time upwardly mobile, at LAPD. It's what they do when, as a Captain I, you've almost destroyed a patrol division, and there's no way they should promote you to a Captain III, to probably destroy a geographic area. She's alleged to have addressed a roll-call, telling them, "I need to make commander and you're going to make it happen by making me look good."

Lady you're so ugly nothing we do could make you look good.
              Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
              Albert Einstein

Comment

I hope they win to set an example, but it sucks that the taxpayers have to foot the bill.

Non-union private sector in right-to-work states for me. If someone sucks at their job, I can easily send them packing.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                  I'm probably going to get blasted for this; but I don't really have a problem "quotas"...
                  I feel this leads to the inconsistent application of discretion. It would correspond to their current performance metric statuses, and not their actual interpretation of how to effectively enforce the nature of the law with the best interests of the community in mind.

For example: Almost every single car on interstate 285 exceeds the speed limit by at least 15mph (except during heavy traffic times). An officer could write tickets as fast as they possibly could all day every day, but all it would do is inflame the community and tarnish relations.
                  Last edited by Carbonfiberfoot; 08-05-2011, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
                    I feel this leads to the inconsistent application of discretion.
                    How so? An officers discretion is just that: his or her personal discretion, based on any number of things. By nature "officer discretion" is inconsistent.

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
                    For example: Almost every single car on interstate 285 exceeds the speed limit by at least 15mph (except during heavy traffic times). An officer could write tickets as fast as they possibly could all day every day, but all it would do is inflame the community and tarnish relations.
                    And I would sit out there and hammer the motoring public, with little to no regard for community relations. As much as the public hates it, proactive enforcement of the vehicle and traffic law saves lives.

Comment

This is nothing more than one commanding officer applying all stick and offering no carrot, and making the stick stand out in public.

She can, secretly, hope to make commander.

She can, secretly, want them to write MORE citations.

She can, openly, reward those officers who do.

Not her, though. Too bad, so sad. Guess she missed out on that particular lecture at any one of the LAPD's pointy-headed command schools, like SLI, or West Point Leadership. There's a rather simple line from leadership which goes, "Never ask someone to do something you couldn't do, wouldn't do, or haven't done." That particular captain's history tells you that she's got all three of those exclusions toward asking others to perform for her benefit.

Her style of (so-called) leadership has already cost the city $$$.

Now, it'll cost them more, and the department has still failed to bury her where she can do less harm.
                      Last edited by Kieth M.; 08-05-2011, 05:57 PM.
                      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                        How so? An officers discretion is just that: his or her personal discretion, based on any number of things. By nature "officer discretion" is inconsistent.

And I would sit out there and hammer the motoring public, with little to no regard for community relations. As much as the public hates it, proactive enforcement of the vehicle and traffic law saves lives.
                        Until that same public decides to push to defund your agency to the absolute minimum, and refuse to allow raises or benefit increases.

We exist simply because the public ALLOWS us to exist....push too far, and what little support we have will vanish.
                        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Unfortunately the NYS Troopers are running very light from what I hear these days.

On a side note LA Dep Dunkin Donuts have K-Cups now and they are delicious..
                          MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                            Unfortunately the NYS Troopers are running very light from what I hear these days.

On a side note LA Dep Dunkin Donuts have K-Cups now and they are delicious..
                            And they will run even lighter if they turn enough of the taxpayers against them....sometimes we need a reminder as to who our ultimate 'boss' is....and it is not admin....

I have actually DD Coffee out here in the supermarket....going to have to try some....
                            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Prima Dona whiners. Their jobs are to write tickets. But, no, they would rather ride around and look into the passing business windows to see how pretty they look! It is not like they are being asked to handle calls or anything.

Being a motor cop at LAPD is a sought after position. Gee, who would have thought that the administration would ask them to do a little work in exchange for getting that monthly 8k plus transportation to and from work and their motorcycle skill pay?

When I worked Central L.A. the LAPD motor cops would leave the city early and use a Freeway Call Box to call in their EOW time. We had to go to our office and sign out.

If you don't want to write traffic tickets all day, go back to patrol or get a special duty position!
                              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3696 users online. 200 members and 3496 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X