300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some opinions!

Let me start by saying Hello as I am fairly new here! I have been reading some of the threads and finally decided to post about something that has been troubling me lately.
    I have been a cop for about 18 years now and have been thinking about what I would or could do if I wasn't in LE any more. Most of the threads like this always seem to talk about teaching, medical, insurance invest or security type work. Those are all good careers but I was thinking about something maybe a little different. Between LEO and military time I have been in uniform all my adult life and really don't know much else. I have alot of interests but their just hobby stuff not something that I can raise two teenagers by myself on. So I guess my question is this: Does anyone know about careers other than the ones above that they have heard or know former police officers have gotten into and made good livings at as well as enjoyed? Any and all input would be appreciated.

I have no freaking clue. If there were something out there that paid as much with no schooling I'd probably be doing that. Unfortunately not having any schooling is hurting me severely. For me this is all I have.
    Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

Originally posted by SBSO_DISPATCHER View Post
      I have no freaking clue. If there were something out there that paid as much with no schooling I'd probably be doing that. Unfortunately not having any schooling is hurting me severely. For me this is all I have.
      unless I go sworn.. Which looks like that wont happen for a few years.
      Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

You're going to be hard pressed to find a "hobby" job that pays the bills and comes with the benny's of LE. If you were thinking about a job after retirement, that would be one thing. I had planned on being a scuba diving instructor after I left the military. After research and some hard thought, I realized that I'd be better doing it on the side for extra cash. Sure, I could have made enough to get by, lived in the tropics, and gotten to dive every day... but I would have no real savings, no retirement, nothing to cover me if I took a DCS hit or anything like that.

Sadly, this isn't the economy where random philanthropic endeavors are really viable or feasible options.
        I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
        - Mark Twain

Comment

You could try to hook up with a railroad. From what I hear the hours can be brutal, but since you are LE it's not like it would be a big change. The pay is good, and you'd get to control several thousand horsepower.

Comment

Or you could hook up with the VA. If you want to stay in uniform with perks, I hear the VA hires vets as officers to secure their hospitals. Plus, your time there is added to your time in the service and increases your retirement. Just a thought.

Comment

the hobby stuff can be turned into a small business, you should consider that.

Insurance investigators can be a pretty nice gig. The railroad is an excellent job...if not an engineer or yard worker then perhaps a "special agent", (Railroad Police).

look into your hobbies, though, as that and policing seem to be what you know the best.

DONT sell beef jerky.

I heard somewhere that a roller disco could be nice...
              "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
              The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
              sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
              Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

I pursued my degrees in computer security and programming and do some related work on the sidelines. One of the reasons I chose those fields is that I could work successfully in those careers from a wheelchair, if I needed to. I wanted a backup that was dependant on something other than physical.
                “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

I plan on becoming a realtor after all this is done with. That's a long time from now though.
                  If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

My observation is getting an Academy instructor gig is pretty sweet.

I don’t know how it works in Texas. In CA, to get such a gig one has to have been a LEO 3+ years, and then they qualify to take any myriad of specialization courses by which they are qualified to teach at an academy once they pass.

My academy coordinator was a crusty old San Jose PD retired Sgt collecting his pension plus his academy income. Most instructors were part time or going back and forth between various academies picking up hours on top of their full time LEO duties.

I really don’t see being an academy instructor in the same context as “teaching”. It looks like a whole lot of fun if you are the defensive tactics, firearms, or driving instructor. Then there are the unfortunate souls teaching political correctness, or homeland security type things.

It is what you make of it.

Might I suggest another thing: One could quickly take the classes and such to become a licensed financial consultant and help folks prepare for retirement. This is basically selling insurance and financial services products.

It’s a high turn industry. I also know of other LEO’s that turned to real estate. Again, sales orientated and high turn over.

I mention it because the turn around time from studying, testing and hitting the job market is very quick.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                    - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

You are a bit off on what it takes to be an Academy Instructor. It is a combination of time on plus college degree, then a POST teaching certificate (AICC). There is no regular work schedule and with no agencies hiring, there are no Academy classes to teach. And for CPT, many agencies are using in-house trainers for the minimum 24 hours per year. No one is getting sent to the specialized classes. EVOC & Firearms instructors can start their own businesses in the private sector.

Comment

If you enjoy cooking you can entertain the idea of becoming a chef, a skill that you and your family will always enjoy and with the right restaurant you could make a pretty descent living.

Comment

I know a few investigators that went to work for banks as fraud investigators. They make more money now and do less work. If you are a traffic cop get all the advanced training experience you can get especially in accident reconstruction so when you retire you can do contract work for insurance companies or become a private investigator and testify in civil or criminal cases involving accidents.

There is a lot of work former cops can do that have specialties. Unfortunately a lot of cops are just going to retire and depend on their retirement income. I have seen a few sergeants retire from the sheriff's department then have to go work as part time bailiffs because their retirement was not enough. Use your agency and get all the specialty training you can get and see if you can use it at the private sector.
                          Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Comment

My best recommendation is either before, during or after retirement is get a 4 year degree. It opens up more doors for you.
                            After 17 years I was faced with the "what do I want to be when I grow up" after a medical retirement.
                            I've done a few things but am currently looking at getting my PI license (as an option) and want to get into Fraud Investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by eagleI View Post
                              My best recommendation is either before, during or after retirement is get a 4 year degree. It opens up more doors for you.
                              After 17 years I was faced with the "what do I want to be when I grow up" after a medical retirement.
                              I've done a few things but am currently looking at getting my PI license (as an option) and want to get into Fraud Investigation.
                              This is a good idea and plus getting a P.I. license is easy however getting into the fraud field requires having fraud experience as an investigator plus like you mentioned getting a degree is a plus. It is good money once you are able to get work.
                              Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7719 users online. 388 members and 7331 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X