Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $2 million lottery winner still gets food stamps

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43091952...e=home_oneline

DETROIT — A Michigan Lottery $2 million jackpot winner from last year is eligible and collecting some food stamp assistance under a loophole state officials have been working for months to close.

Leroy Fick, who lives near Saginaw, took a lump sum payment for his June 2010 prize, buying a house, a used 2008 Audi and investing the rest, attorney John Wilson said on Wednesday.

"If you're going to ... try to make me feel bad, you aren't going to do it," Fick told a reporter from local station TV5.

The income he receives from investing the remaining money leaves Fick eligible under federal rules for food assistance of "far less than $5,000 for the year," Wilson said.

"There is no asset based testing for it, it is all based on income," Wilson said. "The amount that he has invested of this winnings spins off an amount of income and that income is such that he is eligible."

Michigan has been working with federal officials for two or three months on ways to close the loophole, said Gisgie Davila Gendreau, a state human services department spokeswoman. She was not speaking about Fick's case specifically.

"We are actively seeking a change to the food assistance policy, which is a federal policy, to ensure that those who are truly needy qualify," she said.

Michigan state Senator John Moolenaar, a Republican from Midland near where Fick lives, has proposed requiring lottery officials to share winners names with government departments and remove them from public assistance programs.

"Taxpayer dollars should be used to help the truly needy, and we must stop situations like this from falling through the cracks," Moolenaar said in a statement on Wednesday
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Posted this on another website, but incredibly, the above isn't the worst lottery winner story to happen here recently.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-money-on-cars

Comment

Originally posted by JJHunsacker View Post
      Posted this on another website, but incredibly, the above isn't the worst lottery winner story to happen here recently.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-money-on-cars
      What a depressing story. It blows my mind that people who are capable of such ignorant actions can maintain jobs and function normally for so long before flipping. What did he think was going to happen... he was going to 'wax this fool' and his daughter would be able to reside there for free indefinitely?

Comment

Gotta love the people taking advantage of the system. Really angers me.

Comment

As it was explained on the morning radio, when you get a bridge card that money is yours for a whole year. Regardless of income level change. So he can technically still spend whatever is left on his bridge card.\

Still FUBAR.
          This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

Originally posted by -Erik- View Post
            As it was explained on the morning radio, when you get a bridge card that money is yours for a whole year. Regardless of income level change. So he can technically still spend whatever is left on his bridge card.\

Still FUBAR.
            It's not about the remainder of the year, the issue is that he's structured his investments so he will continue to receive the food stamps every year and not have to spend any of the principal.

Comment

More power to him. He's not breaking any laws. If I could draw them I would too. I'm sick of paying out and watching all of these other people get something from the government.

Comment

So, you want to become that of which you are sick? No, you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
                  More power to him. He's not breaking any laws. If I could draw them I would too. I'm sick of paying out and watching all of these other people get something from the government.
                  Oh so let's add to the problem then huh? Yea smart one.
                  Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

Originally posted by FromOhio View Post
                    Oh so let's add to the problem then huh? Yea smart one.
                    Whining about it on an internet forum doesn't seem to be solving the problem, now does it? Does it make you mad that this man is smarter than the lawmakers who created the bill?

Don't blame him. None of this is his fault. He is following the law. He didn't lie on his application. You mean to say that you wouldn't take advantage of a loophole if you had the opportunity? People move money and invest it in numerous ways to avoid tax brackets.. are they the problem too?

This would not happen in GA because the application requires you to list bank accounts and assets.

The real smart one is the lottery winner

Comment

He's a lottery winner. Not a genious who earned his share. It's not rocket science what he's doing. And no I wouldn't take advantage of the government even if I were dirt poor. I'd take any job I could get until there weren't any jobs left before I would even think of applying to welfare.

My cousin who stopped over today has two kids. Why? So she can get a bigger check from welfare. She never graduated from highschool, never had a job, and lives in a dead beat apartment with a guy who can't even take care of his kids. And she had the nerve to ask me for gas money when she can afford cigarettes that are what? Over 4$ a pack now? And she can afford to get drunk every weekend but can never afford diapers or food for her children. So she gets all this money for doing nothing and doesn't even put the money to good use. Then she went as far as saying she's going to go to school for nursing and have welfare pay for it (in her wildest dreams). I CANNOT stand people who resort to welfare.

Welfare was put into place to help people who have fallen get back on their feet. Today it's used for people who don't want to work who see it as ''free money'' and it comes out of MY taxes. I wish they would do away with welfare altogether. Too bad if you can't afford to feed your kids, can't afford a house, or anything else. You knew the consequences in the first place and no one should have kids if they're not financially stable. There are things called jobs and everyone is entitled to applying to them. There's less than 1% of people on welfare I bet who actually know what responsibility is.

And then you have this jackass who has more money than I'll probably ever make who is using up peoples tax dollars because he don't feel like spending any of his ''earnings''. And when I say you, I don't mean you. I mean people in general.
                      Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

"It's a warm summer day. A cool breeze blows off Lake Huron. You take a drive down a narrow country road in your New Audi convertable. You shop at a friendly supermarket where fellow townsfolk congratulate you on winning $2 million in the Michigan Lottery. You pay for your groceries with your bridge card (food stamps). Pure Michigan."
                        "Lay there and bleed awhile before you feel some real pain."

"Have a cup of coffee, a pall mall, and relax!"

Comment

Originally posted by -Erik- View Post

Still FUBAR.
                          Were you listening to 97.1 The Ticket too?? One caller (or the host) made a point that he paid far more in taxes on his lottery winnings than he will ever collect in food stamps, so technically he is just collecting what he already paid in...while it's despicable, it's not nearly as bad as all the people who abuse the welfare system who never paid a dime in or never paid in nearly as much as they received...
                          Originally posted by RSGSRT
                          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

They had somebody from the govt agency that handles the bridge cards on WJR. The bottom line is that the stimulus is to blame for this. The stimulus gave the states money for these programs, but required they STOP doing an asset check in order for people to qualify. So right not only THREE states do an asset check before you can get food stamps (whatever each state calls the program). MI will implement an asset check in August.

The real reason the asset check was dropped was to help insure that the hordes of unemployed do not assemble with pitchforks and torches, or at least not as many of them...........food stamps are SOMA for the unemployed....a govt payoff to not riot or maybe vote for a different person than they would if they DO get a check.

As it is right now in many states you can have any amount of assets and still get food stamps, food stamps are based on INCOME.

There is a whole class of people that structure their income level or their marital status based on what govt handouts they get. The folks that marry the other parent of their children, and who work hard to better themselves....get taxed to feed the lampreys.

Bill
                            Last edited by willbird; 05-20-2011, 08:41 AM.
                            Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

The real reason the asset check was dropped was to help insure that the hordes of unemployed do not assemble with pitchforks and torches, or at least not as many of them
                              Does that count as work?!?! j/k
                              Originally posted by RSGSRT
                              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6689 users online. 355 members and 6334 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X