300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City of Dallas keeps $2,000 found by honest teen

DALLAS — Dallas will keep $2,000 found by a teenager in a parking lot last February.
    The money will go into the city's general fund — not back to Plano high school student Ashley Donaldson, who found the cash in an envelope at the Pavillion Shopping Center in North Dallas.

"I don't regret making the decision I did," she said. "I feel proud of myself for giving the money back. It's one of the biggest decisions of my life."

The 15-year-old Shepton High School student spotted the money on the ground and took it to a nearby Chase Bank.

Over the last three months, the bank and Dallas police have tried to find the owner, but have had no luck.

On Tuesday, police said under a new city policy, the unclaimed money will go into Dallas' general fund — not back to the person who found it, as in years past.

"We appreciate your honesty," said Dallas police spokesman Senior Cpl. Kevin Janse. "We're going to put the money to good use. It's not going to be wasted, but put to good use for the City of Dallas."

That's not the answer Ashley Donaldson had been hoping for. "I was thinking about a car," she confessed.

It's also not the lesson her parents wanted her to learn.

"I'm happy that she did what she did, but the way it ended? I wish she didn't find it in the first place, because it certainly didn't teach her the right thing," her father Ben Donaldson said.

At the time Ashley found the envelope full of money, she was living in a one-bedroom apartment with her parents and her four brothers and sisters.

The family had recently moved to Texas from Colorado and could have used the money, but she felt that the $2,000 might mean more to its owner.

"This could be someone else's life, this could be someone's home," she said. "If I took it, I could never live down the guilt that would be in me."

Ashley said the bank was surprised to see such honesty, but her parents weren't.
    "It was like an experience that presented itself — like a test — and my daughter passed with flying colors beautifully," said Ben Donaldson.

http://www.kmov.com/news/national/Ci...121627599.html

While I appreacate her honesty...... What the City of Dallas did was wrong....and I bet 100s of other folks out there will not be turning stuff into them anymore...

What a crock......

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
      While I appreacate her honesty...... What the City of Dallas did was wrong....and I bet 100s of other folks out there will not be turning stuff into them anymore...

What a crock......
      Next time give it to the sheriffs department. That's crap the city is keeping the money she turned in. What else would they keep?
      Last edited by MCSD; 05-11-2011, 09:41 AM.

Comment

What a crock......
        +1, who would want to?
        What are we going to do tonight? Same thing we do every night! TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!

Comment

Wow. Is the bad PR worth the money? I think not. At least they could give the girl a plaque and put her picture in the paper standing with the chief and the mayor. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Comment

What goes around, comes around. The girl will get what she's owed soon enough.

Comment

+1 to everyone who posted. That is pretty LOW by some scumb bag politician.
              MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

It's typical of this city that's run by crooks.
                “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by JTShooter View Post
                  Is it just as bad there as it is Broward or Miami Dade?...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JTShooter View Post
                    Figured you would chuckle..... since it was a PD mouth piece saying it would go to a good cause.....

Comment

Wow......What a PR blunder by the City. Good for the young woman.
                      "You can't handcuff me, I'm a college graduate!"
                      (Smurfette)

Comment

I feel like sending this girl some money with a note attached.
                        Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

Does Tx have a civil procedue for found property? In Cali by law the finder turns it in and posts an ad in the papers after a set amount of time the money is hers.
                          Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

Anonymous donor comes forward to help honest teen . Credit: WFAA

by Shannon Powell
                            WFAA
                            Posted on May 11, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Updated today at 12:27 PM

Just hours after News 8 aired the story of Ashely Donaldson's honesty, an anonymous donor has come forth to help the Shepton High School student.

Donaldson found $2,000 in the parking lot at the Pavillion Center in North Dallas. Instead of keeping it, she turned it in, thinking she would get the money back if it was not claimed.

Three months later, under a new Dallas policy, the city of Dallas has said the unclaimed money will go into a general fund and not back to the finder - as in the past.

An anonymous donor has stepped forth with the money that Donaldson and her family need.

The latest tonight on News 8 at 5 p.m., 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Figured you would chuckle..... since it was a PD mouth piece saying it would go to a good cause.....
                              They probably changed the rules because we have been around $100mil in the negative for a few years now...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6416 users online. 339 members and 6077 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X