300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad at History Channel

I just saw a commercial with the two guys on it from American Pickers.
    They were pushing send in $1.50 to the History Channel so they can match it and save our Civil War sites which are being ruined at "an acre every hour". Until that statement, I thought it to be a great cause.

I have researched this a bit but cannot support their acre every hour claim.
    I call B.S. and am asking others to check it out for themselves.

Here is one reference to the acre per hour.

http://www.civilwar.org/aboutus/pres...#not_all_saved

According to this website, they are claiming the future of these "sites" could be determined in the next 5 to 15 years. There were about 10,500 Civil War armed conflicts. Only 384 were of any military significance. Subtracting the 71 lost and 16 sites for which threats estimates are not available, 54 percent (161) of the remaining 299 battlefields in all integrity categories are currently experiencing moderate to high levels of threat.

I am in agreement that some need to be preserved. I am also in agreement that some are in peril. I just cannot agree with the acre per hour comment. This in my eyes raises them the the level of used car salesmen.
    Last edited by OneAdam12; 05-10-2011, 02:47 PM.
    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

i'd just be happy if they quit doing reality shows and went back to history for a while.
    If it wasn't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

Your life is NOT my fault.

What part of NO did you not understand?

Comment

I do like pawn stars because I like to see what something is worth then watching people take 50% of the value insted of selling it on ebay.
      Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

I live near where the Battle of Franklin (TN) was fought.
        Before all the historic areas were protected, some were ruined.
        Next to and on part of a very historic mass burial/ battleground area at Carnton Plantation sits a Dominoes Pizza and strip mall.

I would think that by 2011, any sites related to Civil War history have been documented, but who knows for sure. I occasionally still find relics while hunting.
        SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
        SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2015, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $400 to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Originally posted by Jiu-Jitsu Cop View Post
          I do like pawn stars because I like to see what something is worth then watching people take 50% of the value insted of selling it on ebay.
          My cousin retired as a LEO in the Chicago area and moved to Vegas.....and is working another LEO gig out there and is neighbors to Rick and his wife. Great people..... He said they've talked about the show over beers and Rick said it is what it is. Folks needing quick cash....or just being lazy and wanting the quick cash instead of doing the ebay thing (which they do) or going to an action house.

I love it when folks come on there thinking they have a million dollar piece of art or some antique they bought overseas and its fake..... Or they come in wanting a 100K for an item and Rick only tosses 5K at them.....

Fun show to watch and next time I am Vegas I am going there.....

And yes, Chumley is that stupid......

Comment

I wish they would do HISTORY and not hypothetical future shows (Life After People, etc). Also, no more UFO shows. It used to be the World War II channel, now it's the alien and Nostradamus channel.
            "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
            -Chris Rock

Comment

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
              I wish they would do HISTORY and not hypothetical future shows (Life After People, etc). Also, no more UFO shows. It used to be the World War II channel, now it's the alien and Nostradamus channel.
              Plus 1000.....

I was watching the other day and it was just silly stuff. Thank God Bobby Flay was on.....

Comment

So true about the Alien and Nostradamus shows. But, there is a limit to how many Hitler body guard shows I can watch.
                I wish they would run this:

X Day Operation Downfall.

My father was in one of the divisions expected to be sacrificed.
                After he fought in the Philippines and Okinawa.
                Last edited by OneAdam12; 05-11-2011, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Here is another reference to an acre an hour

http://www.civilwar.org/aboutus/preservation-faqs.html

If you think it is a worthwhile cause, donate because it is a worthwhile cause and don't worry about the messenger.

The History (sic) Channel has been in decline for a long time. Back when they were pumping out a lot of WWII stuff we called it The Hitler Channel. There is more history to be learned in one of the Pawn Stars episodes than in a lot of their "specials."

Comment

i'd just be happy if they quit doing reality shows and went back to history for a while.
                    +1000

and to Echo GangGreen _+100000000000000
                    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Casualties were going to be enormous. I imagine he doesn't have any problem with the A bomb being used.

We are still using purple hearts that were made for the invasion of Japan.

http://www.stripes.com/blogs/the-rum...arded-1.116756

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post

Casualties were going to be enormous. I imagine he doesn't have any problem with the A bomb being used.
                        Not at all. He was ecstatic.

We are still using purple hearts that were made for the invasion of Japan.

http://www.stripes.com/blogs/the-rum...arded-1.116756
                        I found that out during the last reunion I was at. Truly amazing factoid.

Comment

After midnight,you are treated to 7 minutes of programing for every 10-12 minutes of commercials.THIS is the main reason I have given up on them,and I enjoy pawnstars also,but stop the "loop" of showing the same one over and over.
                          Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

I have been watching alot of WW1 on either the History, or Military Channel lately. Next to Civil War, it is my favorite part of history. Grandfather served in the 1st Division (Army) in WW1, and I was lucky to hear alot of his stories before he died in 1975.

Comment

I've hated the History Channel since they've moved from learning square into entertainment. They still have some good stuff hear and there, but most of the new stuff is just lame.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8517 users online. 398 members and 8119 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X