300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've decided to get a motorcycle

Been kicking around the idea for a few years now. But since I'm in a pretty decent place financially, I've decided it's time. Plus, this entire summer I'm working days with Tues, Weds, Thurs off. So with the girlfriend at work on my days off, I'll have plenty of time to practice riding.

I think I've decided on the Honda CRF230M. Seems like a good beginners bike (I have extremely limited riding experience, haven't been on a bike since before I got my first DL). I think this weekend I'm going to go look at a few and finalize my decision.

Anyways, no real point to this. I'm just excited :P

Well Done sir! Congratulations!
    Check out rider courses..they can get you your MC license and a discount on your insurance...FYI a Comm college to your South has classes as does Gails in Belton...its run by a retired SGt from an agency a bit South of yours. Both are pretty good and I hear the Gails HD is one of the best around.
    If you get a hog, let me know......
    "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
    The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
    sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
    Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Congrats Dingo, shoot you may save money with the current price of Gas. I have been looking at those 3 wheel ones. Cam or something like that. Good Luck
      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

+1 on the riding class.

I highly recommend buying a used bike first. I made the mistake of buying new for my first bike. I outgrew it in about three years, and I have been wanting to upgrade for about two to three years now (might be upgrading to an '06 Nomad 1600 tomorrow night).

The most important thing to remember is that if a cage can do something totally stupid....they likely will. Be prepared by expecting the worst out of everyone.
        This Space For Rent

Comment

ha! funny, i have a 94 cb1000 for sale...LOL
          dubbed code name: Alien #69

Comment

Yeah, the girlfriend will insist on safety classes. Definitely going to look at upgrading in a year or two with my bike. Given my lack of experience, I think it's smart to get something pretty small for my first riding season and look to move on after that. Plus, I can probably hand the small bike down to my girlfriend. She is interested in riding too, but is also extremely cheap. So I figure I can get her into it with a secondhand bike.

Crass, I live a stones throw from Maple Woods and they have classes there. Dunno about the quality of them, something I have to research.
            Last edited by Dingo990; 04-29-2011, 12:10 AM.

Comment

If your going to get a bike around that price, get the Kawasaki Ninja 250, its actually a little cheaper; and looks alot better. My sister learned to ride and still rides her ninja 250. That honda looks like a "dual sport" bike, its basically a dirt bike with street tires and blinkers.

Ninja 250r - $3999.00 - $4299.00 ** http://www.kawasaki.com/products/pro...ns.aspx?id=505

Honda crf230m - starting at $5399.00** http://powersports.honda.com/street/motard.aspx

I've posted 2 pictures of each, 1 without the rider / and 1 with the rider. You can see which looks more proportionate.

Ninja 250

Honda CRF230

Last edited by dontcallmeradio; 04-29-2011, 12:27 AM.
              Have you ever fired your gun up in the air and gone "ahhrgh"? -Danny Butterman

"I'm sure finding that 11mm wrench at the last minute to fix the flux capacitor or whatever gets those guys out of bed in the morning is probably just as much of an adrenaline shot as blowing over a ton of C4 at one time" - CruiserClass

Comment

Motorcycle Safety Foundation classes HIGHLY reccomended. You can take that class and start on something bigger if you want - at least that's how it was for me, my teacher was awesome. Are you set on a sportbike? 250's get old, F A S T. Spoken from experience. And to be honest, if you're gonna spend $4k for a new 'sportier looking' Ninja or Honda, I would seriously reccommend buying an old one for $1k then spending your real money on something you're going to keep for the long haul...

The CC's aren't everything, either. A lot depends on horsepower, weight, torque etc. My 636 was 636 and they also make 650's, and they are TOTALLY different bikes. If you want to check out cruisers, after a class if you feel comfortable, you can get one as big as you want. They are a lot easier to handle and less tempting than sportbikes, but it's all your opinion.

I started with a Ninja 250 after my class and sold it within the month for a 2004 636 Kawi. Then I sold that after a year and have a 1100 Yamaha V-star Custom and I LOVE that bike!!! Congrats on the decision and welcome to the club - watch out for cagers who have no respect and who seem to be blind at their own convenience.
                Last edited by jjbledsoe; 04-29-2011, 12:48 AM.
                Pursuing the dream.

Awaiting the start of Academy... April 28th.

Comment

See, for a beginner, given the motard or the sportier Ninja, I recommend the motard. A more controllable, upright rider position, not as bent over. Also, much more forgiving when you do drop it. anotehr option in that sort of class is the TW200, a true small dual sport.

Last edited by GLHS837; 04-29-2011, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
                    She is interested in riding too, but is also extremely cheap. So I figure I can get her into it with a secondhand bike.
                    Bahahahahahahahaha.......

Comment

+1 on riding class and used bikes.

The riding class will teach you very important basics. It sure did for me.

The reason I think old beat up bikes are good for your first one (in my experience) -
                      -You learn how to work on a bike, how parts, work, and how to replace them
                      -Everyone told me, "It's not if, it's when you dump your bike". I've had mine a couple weeks, and only been out about 7 times. It was a sunny 60 degree (nicest in a LONG time) here and I just had to take the bike out. It had rained the night before and I hit a pile of mud and dumped it. You don't notice any damage because of the previous damage!!!
                      -They're cheaper.

Comment

Item9;
                        Be careful about stop or cornering on where the pavement is painted....it's slicker than snot.
                        This Space For Rent

Comment

get on craigslist and find an old Dual Sport KLR 650.

Take it out in a field and drive it until you have High Sided, Low Sided, Stalled out, and bailed off.

Once you have done those things, street bikes will seem pretty calm.

get one from the 80's or 90's and don't pay more than 2K for it.

M-11
                          “All men dream...... But not equally..
                          Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                          but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                          for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                            get on craigslist and find an old Dual Sport KLR 650.

Buy a full set of armored gear

Take it out in a field and drive it until you have High Sided, Low Sided, Stalled out, and bailed off.

Once you have done those things, street bikes will seem pretty calm.

get one from the 80's or 90's and don't pay more than 2K for it.

M-11
                            forgot a step

Comment

I survived in Jeans and a sweatshirt. (+ Helmet)

Come on, you can only stand in the way of natural selection for so long...

M-11
                              “All men dream...... But not equally..
                              Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                              but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                              for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6311 users online. 334 members and 5977 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X