300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some aloe???!!

Here's what I did this weekend, something I have been putting off for a long time, replanting my HUGE aloe plant. This is the smaller of the two I have, which I call Hans and Franz. They started as one small aloe plant many years ago. Transplanting at this point is no small task. Takes two people to move them. They have to be cut out of their pot using a grinder tool and blade!

It was so big, I had to split it into two plants, and still had a bunch left over! Went from this:

Put into:

Ending up with:

Plus (Hans Junior? Hans II?)

What a PITA, but it was way over due.....
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

http://recoilmag.com/news/aloe_plant.html

Washington, D.C. -- The U.S. Supreme Court unanimously ruled Monday that people using the aloe vera plant for medicinal purposes are not exempt from federal laws prohibiting use of the naturally occurring herb, which medical experts say can ease the suffering of burn victims.

"It is clear from the text of the [controlled substances law] that Congress has determined the aloe vera plant has no medical benefits worthy of an exception," Justice Clarence Thomas wrote for the court.

The Supreme Court's decision reversed a 1996 Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruling that medical necessity can be a legal, "common law" defense to prosecution. Both raw aloe and the aloe vera plant were included in the 1966 U.S. Controlled Substances Act, classifying aloe as a Class II Narcotic alongside cocaine, marijuana, LSD and other substances that invoke feelings of euphoria in the user.

Public controversy surrounding aloe's legal status has escalated since California's 1996 passing of Proposition 215, which authorized doctors to prescribe aloe as a medicinal aid for certain health ailments - an authorization in direct conflict with the Controlled Substances Act. With doctor's orders, patients could legally purchase, use and in some cases even grow aloe vera plants, the leaves of which yield a thick sap that can be used to relieve the pain generated by some skin conditions.

"The Court of Appeals" action cannot be squared with a federal law that bans aloe because of its potential for abuse," Justice Thomas wrote.

Aloe legalization activists, having long questioned the inclusion of aloe in the Controlled Substances Act, say authorities are acting out of drug paranoia in the continued suppression of aloe's legality.

"It's unfortunate the Supreme Court used faulty logic, following along with the drug war, rather than seeing the legalization of aloe for what it is: a health care issue," said Santa Clara University law professor Gerald Uelmen, spokesman for Legalize AV!, a pro-aloe activist organization. "Aloe can relieve the pain that accompanies oxidation of a burn wound. Further, there is evidence that aloe can aid digestion and be used as a healing agent for digestive problems."

"No one's asking for full-blown aloe legalization - not in this case, anyway," added Uelmen.

Pro-aloe activists insist that since aloe plants occur naturally in the environment, use of the plant and its extract should not be - and in theory, cannot be - controlled. It is believed that as much as 40 percent of the nation's populace illegally uses aloe in their homes.

Legalize AV! volunteer and pro-aloe activist Kendra Kelly said she disagrees with the government's position that it is legal to use manmade antiseptics like hydrogen peroxide and isopropyl alcohol - which often incite hostile reactions in the user - while aloe remains a controlled substance.

"It's like, aloe comes right from the earth, like it's nature's gift to humanity; that it's illegal just blows my mind," said Kelly, who admits to occasionally purchasing aloe for her personal home use. "Aloe is like the mildest [of antiseptics]. When I use aloe, it's like, 'Ooh, yeah.' It totally mellows me out. Not like [hydrogen] peroxide. That **** makes me scream."

Kelly refused to elaborate on the events surrounding her two arrests for medicinally using aloe vera, having been cited for aloe possession in 1977 when police searched Kelly's car after suspecting she had recently used aloe, and again at a college party in 1983 when "a whole bunch of [students] were out back getting burned."
    Sorry, I couldnt resist

That is one mean aloe plant you got there btw! I think you just found my next hobby for me!
    There are 3 sides to every story - Your lawyer, their lawyer, and forensics.

Comment

That's a cool looking plant. I have never seen one before. Thanks for posting it.
      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

What the hell are you feeding that thing?

Looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Mama View Post
          http://recoilmag.com/news/aloe_plant.html

Sorry, I couldnt resist

That is one mean aloe plant you got there btw! I think you just found my next hobby for me!
          I see black choppers!!! Doh..
          - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
            What the hell are you feeding that thing?

Looks good!
            Nothing, and that's the smaller of the two. Little water when I remember, that's about it!
            - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

I'm sure you already know this, WillBrink, but for anyone who doesn't -- when harvesting aloe vera, it's best to cold press what you can out of it, then use heat infusion and/or ethanol leaching to collect the rest of the good stuff from it.

Comment

the wife has one and it has about 4 branches.. i just showed her these pics and she's jealous

Comment

Where I grew up, aloe was used to treat thinning hair. Old folks used to cut a stem and rub on the scalp. I don't remember what they did next, or how they washed it. But it was old wives cure.

Comment

Your plant makes my aloe look pathetic.... lol
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
                    and I'm not sure about the former.
                    -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

Aloe worked great when I had a nasty sunburn once.
                      Life is what you make of it

Comment

Originally posted by icecoldblueyes View Post
                        Your plant makes my aloe look pathetic.... lol
                        And that's not even the big one!
                        - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Aloe plant. I can't live without having one at home. Unfortunately, mine died due to the cold weather and lack of caring from its owners.

Willbrink, that is by far most healthiest Aloe plant I've ever seen.

Comment

Willbrink, I think you've got it on 'roids. Admit it man.

I have a fake one! There, I've said it! I have tried numerous times but they always commit suicide and fall out of the pot. I think I over water them or something.

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                              Willbrink, I think you've got it on 'roids. Admit it man.

I have a fake one! There, I've said it! I have tried numerous times but they always commit suicide and fall out of the pot. I think I over water them or something.
                              They don't require much water, but should be soaked fully when they do get watered, which is the way it works where they are found. Just a good dose of sun (I live in the NE so sun is limited) put in the window with most sun, and left alone. Re pot every few years, Done. That's all I ever did, and has mentioned, I have an even larger one not in the photos. Every time I re pot, I have a bunch left over, and re pot those smaller parts, and give them to friends. They usually screw them up by over watering. I water maybe once a month.
                              - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3245 users online. 214 members and 3031 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X