300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSLR camera

Ok guys, I know there are a few of you out there that are into photography, and I've seen a few awesome pictures put up (ICBE etc). That said, I've been looking into getting my first DSLR and am looking for input. I was just looking at the Nikon D3100 an it looks about right for me. Thoughts?

Canon makes some great stuff too. Most of my friends moved from other brands to Canon.

I had a slew of Nikons but moved to Pentax. Pentax is an oft-overlooked brand that's been in the glass/film business for years. (It seems that it's easier for a glass maker to adapt to electronics than it is for an electronics company to learn how to make good glass.) Also, the entire history of Pentax lenses will work their DSLR lines; including the full manual glass if your DSLR body has a manual mode. I've found Pentax stuff to be very competitively priced and was able to get my first DSLR for less than the cost of my previous Nikon Coolpix 500 (not an SLR).

Some Nikons in recent history have had an issue with "noise" on the sensor (pixels active when there's no reason to be) and color shifting (a CCD sensor issue).

http://www.dpreview.com/

is a good resource for reviews.

i've been recently considering moving up to one of the Pentax K-series of bodies (and keep the lenses and other accessories I already have). i've been comparing them here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk5/

the draw for me, with Pentax, is the wealth of used lenses on the market. the real cost of a camera is the glass and not the body. to have decades of great glass at hand is a significant benefit.

Comment

I have a lower end Canon SX20 IS that I love......................it is SLR but does not have the interchangeable lens' the D3100 has.

Go to the Walmart website and read the consumer reviews the camera you like has.............there are other places that have user reviews --------------------but read everything you can to make your decision better
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Cameras are like guns....personal preference.

I loved my Canon Rebel 35mm.....I just got a Canon Rebel DLSR. You first have to figure out what you need/want and go from there. Walmart has good prices online and can be sent to the store for no shipping charge. BestBuy is also good. Look for a bundle you can get a great deal.

GO to one of the stores and try em out.

Have fun.
        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

A buddy of mine uses both from what I understand. But I think he uses more Cannons than anything else. He runs this:

www.M2AutoPhoto.com
          Sworn - 9/16/11

Comment

I have the Canon D5000 & I love it!
            I had a Canon SLR before so it is almost identical, but digital. Very easy to use & the viewing screen is large & rotates. Also has the view finder so it is usable in the sun (unlike my compact digital camera).
            We got it from Costco so I came with the 2 lenses & carrying case.

Comment

My wife is into photography in a major way. She has more cameras than any one person probably should. With that said I highly recommend Pentax.

When she was taking photos for an income I had bought her a nicer pentax 35mm. With that came a whole slew of lenses for every imaginable scenario. Eventually we moved on to an all digital format. When we switched to DSLR's it was to Canon which was a great camera. I looked into upgrading to nicer lens and the price was staggering to get nothing close to what we had with the 35mm format.

I bought her a 14.6 megapixel Pentax body that will accept every Pentax lens every made. This saved me roughly 10 grand. All her old lenses work very well with it and all I was out was the price of the body.

If you only plan on using one or two lenses. Cannon, Pentax or Nikon are good cameras. But the bonus on the Pentax is you can buy used lenses and save big bucks. The other manufacturers may have similar features now and its worth checking out.

You will also want to really search for a good deal. The price for the same camera will vary by as much as 500 bucks on a $500 camera. Meaning some places will try to get a grand for a camera you can get for 500 bucks. So search well.
              The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                BestBuy is also good. Look for a bundle you can get a great deal.
                i disagree. Best Buy is significantly higher than I can find with a little judicious web surfing.

On example (not cameras): their HDMI cables can cost $60 for 6' while http://www.monoprice.com can be $3 for the same length and better quality. This pricing disparity is consistent throughout their product line. They provide instant gratification but as a significant price hit.

After doing your research and finding the brand and make you want. Do some checking at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ (no affiliation, just a happy customer who heard about it from much more savvy happy customers).
                Last edited by Bounce; 04-21-2011, 08:38 AM.

Comment

While the D3100 gains in HD video quality over the D5000 it looses the fold down/spin around viewing monitor of the D5000 which is very handy. A feature I love. Keep in mind it is one of the small body light weight Nikons that does not have an autofocus motor in the camera body and if you want autofocus to work you will need use only lenses that have autofocus motors in the lense.
                  Pay the extra and get the VR 18-2000 lense which will replace the std. 18-55 zoom and 55-200 zoom separate lenses.

Comment

I use Nikon at work and home, the reason is my lenses are Nikon. I have the 300D and like it enough that I don't want to start over with Canon. I do like Canon and if had a ton of money I woud think about changing. Both carmars are great, get what feels best in your hand and what is the most user friendly for you.
                    It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

i bought a Nikon D5000 last year for a big road trip thru California and it is fantastic!! i love the swivel/rotating screen as it protects it when not in use and is pretty handy actually.

I think its a solid camera for someone just getting into the DSLR side of things...

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                        Cameras are like guns....personal preference.

I loved my Canon Rebel 35mm.....I just got a Canon Rebel DLSR. You first have to figure out what you need/want and go from there. Walmart has good prices online and can be sent to the store for no shipping charge. BestBuy is also good. Look for a bundle you can get a great deal.

GO to one of the stores and try em out.

Have fun.
                        What Dx2 said.... some people are die hard Canon, others Nikon. I have a Canon Rebel DSLR and like it lots. I also have a Canon powershot SX100 for when I don't want to mess with the DSLR.

The SX20 that Iowa mentioned is a pretty nice one too
                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
                        and I'm not sure about the former.
                        -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys for all your input. I've been working a lot this past week and haven't had a chance to poke around, but I'll take a look this weekend at some things.

Comment

Look at the Canon Rebel t2i, it takes great pictures and pretty good HD video. Check some owner stuff out on YouTube. The only reason I prefer Canon over Nikon is that with a Canon's body, you can put other lenses (like different brands on it), and Nikon you can ONLY put Nikon lenses on it. Nikon's lenses can get expensive when you start looking at zoom lenses for even stuff like a 70-200mm.
                            We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

Comment

Another point of interest

When you get the SD card get a Class 10 card. This make a huge difference in recording video from your SLR DSLR and even a point and shoot.
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6432 users online. 368 members and 6064 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X