300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to rant

Ok, for those that know me, either in person or through the board, know that I am in no way PC and I have a thick skin. That being said, I guess we all have our butons. As an individual who is below average height, I am f**king fed up with the dehumanization of short people. We are routinely portrayed as less than attractive, less physically dominant and sometimes less smarter than average or above average men. We are often even made out to be creepy by females at times.

I've been used to it for a while, and will even joke about my height, with my friends. However, what pushed the last of my buttons is a commercial on TV, of all things. If you have seen the commercial for freescore.com, you know what I am talking about.

It has a man sitting at a car dealership, about to purchase a car. The dealer is checking his 3 credit scores. The two good credit scores are both "tall, dark and handsome" and physicall fit, with well groomed hair. The third credit score is bad. He is portrayed by a short, overweight, and bald male. This individual's face is covered with a hockey mask, likely to save his dignity, although the company would not tell you this. So the customer goes home and is checking his credit score and the three credit scores are with him. Naturally, the bad credit score begins breaking things in the apartment, accidentally due to his clumsiness. The customer gets his credit score fixed. and with the three lined up, the third good credit score, a tall , dark, handsome, and physically fit male, walks up behind the short male, err credit score, and shoves him to the ground and flashes his perfect guy smile.

I also noticed this on a fast food commercial. It has a close up of a shorter man ordering some big hamburger. He looks behind him and there is a big burly male behind him that nods approval in a condesending way as if to say, "There you go little buddy. You may not be a man, but you can eat like one."

I know that most of you will probably not see my POV on this, and some of you may even tell me to "get over it." But we all have one thing that pizzes us off in this manner, and this is mine.

Rant over. Time to watch the OT Kings/Sharks game and get more of that freakin funny Discover commercial.
    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA
    Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

I'm 5'7. I never think about it.

Comment

Rudy, I did subconsciously notice the discrepency in the credit commercial but gave no thought to it untill you explained it. I also have seen the Whataburger commercial and my take on it was a young boy buying the burger and a older man behind him.

BTW. Kings or Sharks fan..?? Or Stars..? I am an Avalanche supporter. (not this year though)
        "You can't handcuff me, I'm a college graduate!"
        (Smurfette)

Comment

Damn Rudy you have a pretty SHORT temper. Dont let the LITTLE things bother you. Be the BIGGER man about this. OK I will keep this response SHORT.

Hey Rudy JK go ahead and yell at me if you want.
          Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Don't key your co-workers up to the fact that this pushes your button. They will be all over it.
            Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Rudy I think I hear you down there complaining, but I could be wrong.

PS

Those Geico "even a caveman can do it" commericals bum me out...
              Last edited by jcioccke; 04-20-2011, 05:41 PM.
              MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by ARSONCOP View Post
                Rudy, I did subconsciously notice the discrepency in the credit commercial but gave no thought to it untill you explained it. I also have seen the Whataburger commercial and my take on it was a young boy buying the burger and a older man behind him.

BTW. Kings or Sharks fan..?? Or Stars..? I am an Avalanche supporter. (not this year though)
                Stars baby! From day one. I do like other teams, but I hate teh Sharks. My now, ex loved them.

Originally posted by Jiu-Jitsu Cop View Post
                Damn Rudy you have a pretty SHORT temper. Dont let the LITTLE things bother you. Be the BIGGER man about this. OK I will keep this response SHORT.

Hey Rudy JK go ahead and yell at me if you want.
                I am a bigger man when it comes to dealing with some of the r-tards on my security job.

Originally posted by pujolsfan146 View Post
                Don't key your co-workers up to the fact that this pushes your button. They will be all over it.
                I'll joke about it all day with coworkers. Once when I was with a security company, I was parking the squad car one morning. An officer asked if I needed a phone book. I told him I didn't need driving tips from someone who had been taken off of the company's insurance.

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                Rudy I think I hear you down there complaining, but I could be wrong.

PS

Those Geico "even a caveman can do it" commericals bum me out...
                By "down there" you mean down in Texas, right?

Comment

^^^^^

but of course
                  MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

I gotta tell ya it's all in perception. Nearly everyone in town is afraid of my lieutenant, who is the shortest guy in our department. He's a skinny short guy who knows how to handle himself, and people sit up an listen when he's on scene. It's all in how he is perceived by everyone else.

Comment

Hey Rudy,

Are you that short little dude that was in that movie about trying to play football at Notre Dame??
                      "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

sigpic
                        Originally posted by Smurfette
                        Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                        Originally posted by DAL
                        You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

I feel you, man.

Except it isn't just short people. Us Tall folks have to put up with a lot too.
                          • Very few cars we can drive without leaving knee imprints in the dash
                          • Countless knots on my head from door jams
                          • Can't just walk into any store and buy clothes
                          • Desks are too short
                          • Chairs are too short
                          • Green Giant, Baby Hujey, Goliath, Gargantchua jokes were endless as a child
                          So cry me a river my friend and join my Tree Tops and Tall Cops useergroup.

Hang in there. BTW, I'm 6'10"
                          Last edited by 1042 Trooper; 04-21-2011, 01:08 PM.
                          The All New
                          BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                          Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                          - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Rudy,

I feel your pain my friend. Being an Asian, we are stereotyped for lacking the size in Manhood department.

Don't let something stupid like TV commercial bother you. Enjoy your day and a Happy Easter!

Comment

Originally posted by major g View Post
                              I gotta tell ya it's all in perception. Nearly everyone in town is afraid of my lieutenant, who is the shortest guy in our department. He's a skinny short guy who knows how to handle himself, and people sit up an listen when he's on scene. It's all in how he is perceived by everyone else.
                              Knock on wood, I haven't had hardly any problems in my 6.5 years in security (doing some high risk apartments) and 2+ years as a cop. I am confident in my abilities to handle myself, and I think it shows. Once, when I was doing security, we had a couple of males cuffed, and were about to realease them with just a criminal tresspas. One of the guys started staring at one of our bigger (height and size) officers. He asked the subject laughingly, "Do you think you could take me?" The male says no, but looks at me and starts to size me up (while he is handcuffed) and indicates that he thinks he could take me. Derrick laughs and says, "Hes the short guy. You gotta watch yoruself with them, they fight mean." I just stood there with a big s**t eating grin on my face. The other guy just wiped his smirk off and looked away.

Originally posted by grumpyirishman View Post
                              Hey Rudy,

Are you that short little dude that was in that movie about trying to play football at Notre Dame??
                              That's actually where I got my nickname. I was on the JV football team while the others my age were on the varsity. They went to see the movie, came back to practice and dubbed me "Rudy" because I was the shortest guy on the team and I practiced the same way.

Originally posted by M1garand View Post
                              Rudy,

I feel your pain my friend. Being an Asian, we are stereotyped for lacking the size in Manhood department.

Don't let something stupid like TV commercial bother you. Enjoy your day and a Happy Easter!
                              It's not really the commercial by itself that bothers me, its the media contributing to the sterotypes that I mentioned. I've never really noticed Asians as being smaller in statue, other than some females. However, I've always admired their discipline.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3207 users online. 179 members and 3028 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X