300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you reply?

Tonight I was cooking at the restaurant I work at. I've seen it all. From people bringing in dead cockroaches putting it in their food to sending perfectly good food back everytime and complaining just to get a free meal. Tonight we were real busy not to mention short staffed tonight. Food is usually out within 15-20 minutes while busy. It's a restaurant and it's not coming out in 5 minutes besides appetizers. There was a table of 6 and they told me I made their food late on purpose because they were black. I'm the minority in the kitchen lol. I asked all the black people what to say and they just laughed and said what a bunch of morons. But that didn't help me because I didn't know what to say to the people and that's not a valid reason to discount their meal when they got everything they wanted in a timely manner. Racism is pretty immature because it's 2011. Not 1960. A big percentage of the people I work with and our customer base are black people. Never have we had this problem before. It's not a place where anyone is even slightly racist and our customers are usually happy and friendly. But I was stared down like I did something majorly wrong. I just said sorry we're trying our best and walked away ignoring the problem.

How would you reply in a way that would make them happy without causing any problems? I just never had anyone say that to me before. I'm not a racist person and it's just a bunch of bullcrap. I know you guys deal with people pulling the race card all the time when it comes to stopping people.
    Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Some people you just can't make happy. Some people you don't want to make happy. Their complaint has no merit. I would have ignored them.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

nice! there are some people in the world who see racism as an excuse for EVERYTHING that happens to them....I truly believe that not all those kinds of people really believe that premise but instead use it to get something for free. **** poor precedents and policy and even the dreaded "white guilt" hat we heard about during the last election is what feeds these baseless and idiotic claims that will keep certain people in a situation for all their lives and propagate it to the next generation.

Im a cop and I see it all the time...I was a waiter before being a cop and saw it all the time....

Sounds like you did the right thing..."sorry, were going as fast as we can" and didnt even address the BS race issue.....good job
      "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
      The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
      sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
      Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Not much to add, I agree with both Pul and Crass. Maybe they will do you a favor and never come back
        MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

I was just shocked and didn't want to say anything that would upset them. I thought even ignoring the problem may cause a scene but luckily it didn't. Thanks for the advice
          Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

A friend of mine was working a side job in a convenience shop and 2 guys came in and stood around talking to each other for over 5 minutes without talking to him or selecting any merchandise for purchase.

My friend asked them "are you guys gonna buy something or are you just gonna stand around and talk?"

They immediately called him a racist.

My friend said: "Yeah. Hide behind that for the rest of your miserable lives. How do you get up at 3 in the afternoon, go around and **** people off all day and night, and then when someone finally calls you on it, you call him a racist? This is a store; if you're not gonna buy something, get out of here."

They mumbled hostile comments as they left.

Comment

If you're cooking, what are you doing dealing with customers? Do you have a manager? Where was the server? Did they help you out? Run interference for you?

My first and last place I had, I was the minority. I started there when I was young and I am still considered young. I had to deal with this all the time. It was usually the extremely large drunk black guys that didn't like being put back in line. People just push you when and if they see a chance. Be confident or people will walk all over you in life.

Next time tell them that you are offended because your girlfriend is black and that you have a daughter with her that would be half black. Then just walk away.

Remember, you are in the customer service industry. There is no need for a confrontation or an upset customer. Although, sometimes neither can be avoided.. it doesn't mean that you don't try to make the customer happy. They will leave and they will talk and that hurts the business. The real challenge is to get them to leave without a complaint and still get their money.

Comment

People never cease to amaze me......

"Late on purpose" meaning what??? There is no time frame for reference....when the food is ready it is promptly served...BS them expecting a freebie. If they want dinner at a specific time....then I would suggest one of them to cook it at home. Hopefully they won't come back.
                This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

If I overheard it as a customer, I'd tell them to grow up. People like that who cause problems for servers pizz me off. First, it may affect MY service, second, its just plain rude. But then again, I'm probably the easiest person to wait on. Keep my drink filled, keep the game that I want on the tube, and im happy as a pig in slop.
                  I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

"I'm not a racist, I don't even drive fast."

Comment

See, that's why I can't work in your industry. In my line of work, the customer is always WRONG!
                      MAC

Comment

Oh and BTW, dont be a dik to the person who handles your food in the back of the house.
                        Ive seen prime rib hit the floor in the kitchen, get kicked down the line and then be put on a plate of some a-hole customers,. Saw a very well respected and good female server hawk and spit into a persons food that was now a to go order because the restaurant was "racist"...
                        It pays to be nice...
                        another reason, i will NOT go in to a sit down restaurant on duty where I cannot see my food being made
                        "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                        The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                        sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                        Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Originally posted by mac266 View Post
                          See, that's why I can't work in your industry. In my line of work, the customer is always WRONG!
                          I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
                            What's funny is that it is always the black community saying everything is racism. If a white person says it, it "doesn't make any sense". You never see the Mexican's, German's, Polish, etc people claiming racism. Racism is apparently limited EXCLUSIVELY to the black community, and everything is based on it. We need a law system where Judges, Police, etc can tell these people "IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR COLOR, IT HAS TO DO WITH THE FACT YOU ARE A F*CKING MORON", and not get sued for hundreds of thousands of dollars for "damages". Racism exists solely because black people FORCE it to exist.

No, this is not a racist post. This is the truth.
                            Yes, it was a racist post, and it's full of complete drivel.

I've had the "race card" pulled on me by nearly every ethnicity known to man, including white people! I had a white guy tell me I was only arresting him for DUI because I was "too scared to arrest the [n-words] selling dope downtown." Gee, it couldn't have been because he was drunk and I was in the DUI Enforcement unit! I've heard it from hispanics, whites, blacks, Jews, Croatians, Serbians, middle easterners, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

You are a tool, and a troll. Racism is NOT "limited EXCLUSIVELY to the black community" and it is NOT "always the black community saying everything is racism."
                            MAC

Comment

"Im not racist, we are just busy. Goodbye. "
                              I used to work in a restaurant as well. I know exactly how things can go, the stress level I used to feel working there was SO MUSH MORE then my current position and for longer extended periods of time. Sure I get stressed every now and then but the restaurant business is a killer!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6499 users online. 363 members and 6136 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X