300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• experts on pickup trucks....

I have been looking to get a truck forever, just with a family and my job not requiring one.....I just never had the chance to focus and hone in on getting one.

Well, my wife is getting a mini-van as she is trading her Honda CR-V - so I get to
    trade off my wannabe suv (hyundai santa fe) for a truck.

now, here's the kicker....KBB value shows my Hyundai Santa Fe to be around $8100 - I was looking to sell for around $7,500. Exterior, interior, all working A/C awesome....the car has about 67K miles on it and it's a 2004. I only use it to drive back and fourth from work, and since my job is flexible as heck being a PO - I sometimes go at night and leave early early in the morning and avoid traffic all together, so the miles are actually all or mostly highway with any traffic time or hard time on the engine. The vehicle is immaculate.

I asked for a trade of a truck with comparable miles on any year of 2000 or later. Has to be extended cab.

I just got an offer for a straight up trade. Guy has a 2000 white Chevy silvarado 2500 - 4 doors and a camper shell? He says KBB lists as $7700. Put up some pics, and the exterior looks good, interior is not too bad either, aside from the stupid camouflage hunting seat covers on the front seat of the vehicle, cosmetically looks good. He says everything runs fine, everything is good to go. The only thing is, the engine was replaced 3 years ago along with the transmission - the tran and engine are about 3 years old and he estimates 25-30K on new motor.
    I have no idea how this is tracked.....but I don't know a thing about engine replacements on trucks, is this common? Is this worth a trade?

It means he either had the engine and transmission torn down and rebuilt or (more likely) bought a rebuilt engine and transmission and replaced his. It's also possible, but less likely, that he bought a completely new engine and transmission. For a repair of this magnitude, he should have the paperwork to prove it. A receipt from the shop, or, if he did it himself, receipts for the engine and transmission from the place he got them from. 3 years will most likely mean that both are out of their warranty period. Ask him how many miles were on the original engine and transmission. Ask him why he had to replace them. Did he replace them with parts that met OEM specs?

Don't trust what he says the KBB value is. Take it to a mechanic you trust and have them look it over. Many will have a standard fee for the service of looking over a used car before purchase.

Personally, I would not trade vehicles. I would sell mine and try and get the most money possible, while at the same time buying a car and trying to get the best deal possible.

Comment

MCAPO im going to send you a message about a couple things with the price about the truck and your car
      sigpic

Fist Pumping Like Champs
      GYM TAN LAUNDRY GTL
      Greased Up Italian Dancing Out-of-control

GUIDO

Comment

good info. folks!

some more info. from the truck owner -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        The original motor and trans were done around 150,000-160,000 miles. That’s pretty average if you tow with it. The original owner towed horse trailers.

The Interior is pretty clean, It has every factory option…

The only negative items I would say are as follows.

The power mirror switch is broke… about $45.00. Just happened a few weeks ago.

The driver’s seat has a tear on the outside (VERY COMMON WITH LEATHER and the older trucks- wear) Hence the seat covers.

The rest is very clean. Dash is good, power seats work… No other issues that I can think of.

You are welcome to look at it… It’s kinda dirty because of the rain. I’ll get it washed this weekend.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The motor and transmission are in good condition! No worries.

Sorry, no tailgate… You will learn to appreciate the shell, as I doJ It’s insulated and very nice! It also has the full carpet kit in back.

You can get a tailgate at a junkyard for about $100-150.

I just had the A/C redone… (VERY COLD)! New compressor, evap, condenser… the works. One-Two months ago.

Brakes and front end just checked… no problems- brakes cleaned and adjusted. New Tires ready to roll…

The only reason I am getting rid of it, is because my wife has some health issues… (They think she has M.S) She drives it… kids dogs, etc…

It’s getting very hard for her to drive… Otherwise, I would keep it… I love itJ The smaller suv will still serve what we need as a family and are (hopefully) easier for her to handle.

Comment

let me see if it will let me upload the guy that want's to trade his truck pics.

Comment

I'm curious as to why the engine and transmission was replaced? Did the engine blow a gasket? Is it the same exact replacement ? new or rebuilt? If you trade will this happen to you in the future, ie engine or transmission problems. My suggestion is to sell your SUV privatley, and purchase another from a reputable dealer. I'm partial to my 2002 Toyata Tundra, extended cab. No problems at all,

Comment

Originally posted by a Cop Fan View Post
              I'm curious as to why the engine and transmission was replaced? Did the engine blow a gasket? Is it the same exact replacement ? new or rebuilt? If you trade will this happen to you in the future, ie engine or transmission problems. My suggestion is to sell your SUV privatley, and purchase another from a reputable dealer. I'm partial to my 2002 Toyata Tundra, extended cab. No problems at all,
              Good question, I'm taking that it was from former owner of this guy who currently owns the truck. What I'm also curious is that with a vehicle that towed such tough loads, would it also be ignorant to say that the body and structure of the vehicle has had some wear from such heavy loads?
              I would ultimately love to go to the sell outright - but I'm also keeping all options open. I'm trying to avoid dealers (unless it's a real good deal) for a used truck - dealers have markups and sometimes the deals are not really that good.
              Toyota Tundra is nice. My dad has one with the 4 doors as well, a good reason why I want a truck -

Comment

Don't over look the honda ridgeline........

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
                  Don't over look the honda ridgeline........
                  Taylor, I asked for those who are experts on trucks...not experts for powerwheels.

before I get advice from you regarding big boy toys, you need to take off your training wheels off first. HA!

Comment

Sorry for trying to help ya there..

Comment

I just sold my 2002 Chevy Avalanche. It'd had the transmission rebuilt about 3 years ago (about 75K miles), even though I'd never used the truck for hauling. I spoke with the dealership, the transmission guy, and an independent mechanic...they all said the same thing, that the transmission going out in GM trucks from around that era was not uncommon, and was a known issue (although GM wouldn't warranty). It was caused by an intermittent electrical short in the steering column which essentially caused the vehicle to stay in higher gears. Don't know if that would explain any of it on a 2000 model year?

Btw, I would think at least the shocks would have heavier than normal wear from all the hauling. When were they last replaced?

Comment

Eh, personally. When someone says "engine and transmission" have been replaced; it usually means the truck has been beaten up.
                        Add in the original mileage of 160,000 plus 30,000 on the new engine. That gets you a nearly 200,000 mile truck with a lot of tow miles on it.

Even if the new engine and transmission were installed properly(which isn't guaranteed), other parts, suspension, cooling, differential, etc. all have that high mileage on them. And for $7700 that guy is smoking weed.
                        No thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by MCAPO View Post
                          Good question, I'm taking that it was from former owner of this guy who currently owns the truck. What I'm also curious is that with a vehicle that towed such tough loads, would it also be ignorant to say that the body and structure of the vehicle has had some wear from such heavy loads?
                          I would ultimately love to go to the sell outright - but I'm also keeping all options open. I'm trying to avoid dealers (unless it's a real good deal) for a used truck - dealers have markups and sometimes the deals are not really that good.
                          Toyota Tundra is nice. My dad has one with the 4 doors as well, a good reason why I want a truck -
                          DISCLAIMER- most mechanic work I do is not on trucks.

Yes, if it was put under such strain that engine and tranny had to be replaced at that mileage, then I'd be worried about the frame. Other question is, how much towing was done after the replacement? I would also check the underbody for rust, or obvious spray paint cover up jobs. See if they replaced engine mounts. I doubt they did.

What does he mean by brakes cleaned and adjusted? Im assuming he meant the drum brakes in the rear. There is no adjustment for front discs..

Dunno man....I'd keep looking. Something with that history I would want the engine/tranny/diff oil sampled and sent to Blackstone. Even money says there will be lots of wear particles in there.
                          Yeah. That would go poorly. Like, on the Scale of Fail, somewhere between "Titanic" and "Chernobyl."
                          --Squirrel

Comment

Chevy trucks of those year ranges are notorious for tranny problems. So, I'm not surprised that he has had work done on his. I have a 2002 Silverado with about 109000 miles on it, so I'm getting a bit nervous. Also, fuel pumps are frail on these vehicles as well.

If you have a mechanic you know and trust, take it to him for an inspection. That's really your best option.

Overall, it looks pretty clean from pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by AK_Alex View Post
                              Chevy trucks of those year ranges are notorious for tranny problems. So, I'm not surprised that he has had work done on his. I have a 2002 Silverado with about 109000 miles on it, so I'm getting a bit nervous. Also, fuel pumps are frail on these vehicles as well.

If you have a mechanic you know and trust, take it to him for an inspection. That's really your best option.

Overall, it looks pretty clean from pictures.

I smell a fish or dump'in.....Dunno..got that "scratch"....

Ummm. ***** it's "make-up", all shiny and stuff.....

ya' Do a compression check on all 8 bangar's, intake and all gaskets...IOW.... Take it down, lay it down, wid full diagnostics..... den' cross yaz' fingars.... I got a few mules Trig is no longer chas'in 'round....just say'in.........

So which engine and tranny dis whore got in it??? If any of da' below are a' applicable??

4.3-liter OHV Vortec® V6 with sequential fuel injection.
                              200hp @ 4600
                              260ft-lbs. @ 2800
                              4.8-liter OHV Vortec® V8 with sequential fuel injection.
                              275hp @ 5200
                              285ft-lbs. @ 4000
                              5.3-liter OHV Vortec® V8 with sequential fuel injection.
                              285hp @ 5200
                              325ft-lbs. @ 4000
                              6.0-liter OHV Vortec® V8 with sequential fuel injection.
                              300hp @ 4400
                              360ft-lbs. @ 4000

Transmissions:
                              Four transmission choices exist for the Silverado Lineup:

- - MW3(NV4500) Five-speed manual 2500 models
                              - MT1( 4L80-E) Four-speed automatic for 2500 models

I say 3 of da' engines and 2 NV types are da' tougher of da' rest...

MW3 has a very low front gear if i understand....

Oh ya' one mo' dang..... Hell,, 100K out here taint' nutt'in....fer, da, frame and sheet metal anyway.....I gots a buggy just wake'in up @ 100 k...But I PM da' Liv'in $h1T outta' it....
                              Last edited by asullivan; 04-12-2011, 05:26 PM.
                              Originally posted by mookster
                              Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                              Originally posted by CityCopDC
                              I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                              Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                              I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                              -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4439 users online. 220 members and 4219 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X