300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150 Years Ago

Hard to believe there hasn't been more interest in the events of 150 years ago. For those not students of history, it was 150 years ago on April 11, 1861 that the Confederate States of America demanded the surrender of Fort Sumter. Major Anderson refused and at 0430 on April 12, the Civil War began with the CSA attacking the USA at Fort Sumter.

To follow the events of 150 years ago for the next four years, one site of interest is: http://www.todayincivilwarhistory.com/

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
    "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
    John Adams, April 15, 1814

Ahh the Civil War, one of the most studied, yet misinterpreted events in American History.
    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
      Ahh the Civil War, one of the most studied, yet misinterpreted events in American History.
      +1
      Originally posted by Ceridwen
      Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

I feel I must correct one thing here before this thread goes any further... it's not called the "civil war" it called the war of Northern Aggression.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
          Originally posted by dontknowwhy View Post
          +1
          I'm a little embarrassed you two didn't correct him first. You should be ashamed of your selves!

Here is some southern patriotic music for you.

Last edited by westside popo; 04-12-2011, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
            I feel I must correct one thing here before this thread goes any further... it's not called the "civil war" it called the war of Northern Aggression.
            LOL! If I had my ways, I'd move down to the free states of the South. I'm a southerner at heart, body stuck in the heart of Yankee land.

Comment

Originally posted by biggesto View Post
              Hard to believe there hasn't been more interest in the events of 150 years ago. For those not students of history, it was 150 years ago on April 11, 1861 that the Confederate States of America demanded the surrender of Fort Sumter. Major Anderson refused and at 0430 on April 12, the Civil War began with the CSA attacking the USA at Fort Sumter.

To follow the events of 150 years ago for the next four years, one site of interest is: http://www.todayincivilwarhistory.com/

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
              You mean 150 years ago since the CSA tried to defend itself against a foreign force occupying Fort Sumter?

Comment

Living in Virginia I have the privilege to access many close by Civil War battle and historic locations. As a result, a bit of a buff on the subject. Not too crazy of a buff. No re-enactments for me thank you very much but somewhat knowledgeable. Someone recently sent me the below article I found rather interesting. I was previously unaware of the story. Six pages so just the link. Enjoy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/ma...ar-t.html?_r=1
                sigpic
                Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

deleted......
                  Last edited by just joe; 04-12-2011, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Glad my southern brothers are up on their history I used the common term for the war, but whether you name it the Civil War, War of Northern Aggression, War Between the States, War of the Rebellion, War of Secession, War for State Rights, War for Southern Independence, Second American Revolution, or whatever, the conflict is worth remembering without over romanticizing it as many do. I always find it interesting that most people don't realize many of the battles had two names (First and Second Manassas for Bull Run; Sharpsburg for Antietam, etc...). Worst of all was when I was at Arlington House a few years back and some clueless tourist was wondering aloud why somebody would build a house in the middle of a cemetery
                    "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
                    John Adams, April 15, 1814

Comment

Or even longer April 19, 1775... http://www.theamericanrevolution.org....aspx?battle=1

The situation in which I now stand for the last time, in the midst of the representatives of the people of the United States, naturally recalls the period when the administration of the present form of government commenced, and I can not omit the occasion to congratulate you and my country on the success of the experiment, nor to repeat my fervent supplications to the Supreme Ruler of the Universe and Sovereign Arbiter of Nations that His providential care may still be extended to the United States, that the virtue and happiness of the people may be preserved, and that the Government which they have instituted for the protection of their liberties may be perpetual."
                      ..Washington's final annual message to congress - december 7, 1796

World_So_Cold

Comment

Well we learned two things, you can't win against the US Army+Navy and you need more industrial strength than just cotton fields to win.
                        Life is what you make of it

Comment

Originally posted by MD11pilot View Post
                          Well we learned two things, you can't win against the US Army+Navy and you need more industrial strength than just cotton fields to win.
                          A good southern friend and his father used to say "General Lee surrendered, not us."

Comment

Originally posted by MD11pilot View Post
                            Not to get too far off-topic, but you also have to be in the moral right. I still firmly believe that losing the war was the South's punishment from God for not letting go of slavery. We had the better soldiers, better generals, homefield advantage, and the legal right...but our insisting on holding out on slavery kept us in the moral wrong, and it was our demise.
                            Lt. Col. Grace - "Lt. Murphey, why are you all dressed up to mack on the ladies?"
                            Me - "Sir, you just answered your own question."

Comment

Originally posted by Murf425 View Post
                              Not to get too far off-topic, but you also have to be in the moral right. I still firmly believe that losing the war was the South's punishment from God for not letting go of slavery. We had the better soldiers, better generals, homefield advantage, and the legal right...but our insisting on holding out on slavery kept us in the moral wrong, and it was our demise.
                              Well that too but I really think the South's lack of industrial strength was its true demise, yeah they had a few factories but the North held the real might and the US Navy did a good job at blockading merchant ships from reaching the CSA en route from Europe.
                              Life is what you make of it

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3026 users online. 150 members and 2876 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X