Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sold my Harley...something fishy going on now...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sold my Harley...something fishy going on now...

    So I sold my Harley about a year ago...today I get a message and subsequent phone call from a guy in Virginia saying that he bought my bike but the seller had lost the title. Anyway, he says it has been bought and sold several times and now that he has it, he wants to register it and ride it. He found my name from a DMV title search.

    Here's the fishy part..he wants me to file for a lost title and then sign it over to him. He says he will send me a little cash "for my troubles and for the title."

    What reason could have that he can not apply for a lost title? I will run the VIN tomorrow when I go out to my car, but for now I am trying to figure out what this guy is up to. I don't care to help the man out, but something just doesn't feel right...I'm not up for some interstate theft or fraud crap.

  • #2
    If it has been bought and sold x amount of times, why would he be asking you and not one of the many recent owners?

    I think you are right to be suspicious. I'd be more upset that he was able to get your phone number unless you are listed.




    World_So_Cold

    Comment


    • #3
      I would tell him he needs to deal with the last registered owner...

      Comment


      • #4
        Well, if it infact was bought and sold several times then he should contact one of the other, more recent previous owners to "pay for their troubles" as you probably know bikes are very often and very easily stolen.... my initial reaction would be you "helping" him would actually be helping him legitimize a stolen bike.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by John0397 View Post
          I would tell him he needs to deal with the last registered owner...
          I am the last registered owner...evidently no one has registered since I sold it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FormerTeacher View Post
            Well, if it infact was bought and sold several times then he should contact one of the other, more recent previous owners to "pay for their troubles" as you probably know bikes are very often and very easily stolen.... my initial reaction would be you "helping" him would actually be helping him legitimize a stolen bike.
            And that is a concern of mine. I just do not have much experience with the administrative side of the law... maybe I should hand deliver the title and then take possession of the bike since I guess it still legally mine lol

            Comment


            • #7
              Not your problem.......just make sure you still have your bill of sale handy, in case someone from DMV gets suspicious.

              Comment


              • #8
                Something about this definitely smells! I would not get involved. Getting it registered is between him and the DMV.
                "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

                I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
                But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
                "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
                We might not be broke but we're badly bent!


                The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

                "Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

                Comment


                • #9
                  Put him in contact with the person you sold the bike to.

                  Other than that-----------tell him to pound sand.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                  My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TJx2 View Post
                    I am the last registered owner...evidently no one has registered since I sold it.
                    Doesn't the seller file a Notice of Transfer with the DMV, advising them who they sold the vehicle to? We do that in California and it gets us off the hook civilly as far as owner responsibility is concerned if the buyer fails to register the vehicle and then crashes it, or re-sells it to someone else and they crash it.
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                      Doesn't the seller file a Notice of Transfer with the DMV, advising them who they sold the vehicle to? We do that in California and it gets us off the hook civilly as far as owner responsibility is concerned if the buyer fails to register the vehicle and then crashes it, or re-sells it to someone else and they crash it.
                      That would make sense...all we do here is complete a bill of sale and sign the title over. I have a feeling what has happened is that the buyer (from me) has sold the bike again and since I made him sign it and fill out the sales price in front of me on the BoS and the title, whoever he sold it to is trying to get around paying the taxes twice (once for the buyer from me and once as the last buyer)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Not your problem.
                        Last edited by needguidance; 04-09-2011, 09:06 PM.




                        World_So_Cold

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I wouldn't run the VIN at all. Need to know right to know...no sense in getting in trouble for someone elses BS.

                          They always say...when the hair on the back of your neck stands up....somethings not right. As long as you did all of your paperwork...it isn't your problem. We do the transfer and release of liability.

                          And why would YOU still have the title???
                          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                            I wouldn't run the VIN at all. Need to know right to know...no sense in getting in trouble for someone elses BS.

                            They always say...when the hair on the back of your neck stands up....somethings not right. As long as you did all of your paperwork...it isn't your problem. We do the transfer and release of liability.

                            And why would YOU still have the title???
                            I don't have the title...I gave it to the guy that bought it from me...Oh well, I guess I'll ask the guy why he can't just apply for a lost title in his state. Something is up, and the curious side of me wants to dig until I find it...but alas, no much I can do from here I guess.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by TJx2 View Post
                              I don't have the title...I gave it to the guy that bought it from me...Oh well, I guess I'll ask the guy why he can't just apply for a lost title in his state. Something is up, and the curious side of me wants to dig until I find it...but alas, no much I can do from here I guess.
                              Exactly.........again not your problem. Just the way he is approaching you is "weird".
                              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6464 users online. 372 members and 6092 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X